Growing Manhattan Euonymus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terps2001

Reaction score
I have started some softwood stem cuttings and they are rooting well. My question is what to do next. They are currently in 4 inch pots of sand with 3 cuttings in each pot.

Can I leave them in the pots overwinter?

When should I pinch the top to promote branching?

Will mounding soil around the transplants next year after laterals grow be beneficial in speeding along their development into a bushy growth or will they spread out underground just as quickly as older plants will anyway?

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable on this subject would post, but I will help bump this.

Generally plants will do better in the ground over the winter than in the pots. So I would plant if possible.

The references I found all stated that this was easy to propagate...but that was it. (Gosh thanks.)

As this is a spreading cultivar, I would start pinching at the height/spread you desire to see lateral growth if it is getting rangier than you wish.

Since this is a species that roots readily, I would think that mounding dirt around the base would indeed encourage the spreading rather than the bushing. (Please note my first statement above...I am shooting from the hip here.)

Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia,

I'll put them in the ground this fall after I get as many roots as I can from the tender cuttings. They really dislike sun, so I put a shade frame over them to reduce wilting and sunscald. Hopefully they'll take the hit well when they get planted.

Jim

ive planted hundres of them, they grow like weeds and self root leaders that languish on the ground making, over time, a huge spreading shrub. they are a pita to control however, the 12 footers on the side of my house need to be pruned 4 times every year.

Latest posts

Back