Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 7' er is the north view from the kitchen window. To the south is a canyon drop and Monterey Bay. I'm about 10 miles from the water. I check the site almost every day, just haven't posted a lot lately.

Man, I can picture that view:popcorn: For our GTG, we should just carpool, and go site see, and tour the redwood's:cool2:

Yep those trees have always had me wondering. Would like to take a vacation out that way one time.

We have a very rare clear evening, with no wind, fireworks over the bay in an hour.

That Redwood pic wasn't the one I wanted to post, now I can't change, drat!

Last edited:
Large redwoods take on a mystical apearance. I have a 7'er and a few 9'+ ones on or near my property.
When you stand under them and can't see the tops, you realise that you are a caretaker and
not an owner. There is a 15-18' er a few miles away. The only reason that it is still there is that the top
is blown out at around 125'. Fog and/or rain really enhances the presence of these giants.

Frank are you talking about the king and queen on Glenwood Drive or some in the parks?

Not talikng about Glenwood. Where are those at?
The 15'-18' er is about 2 miles from Boulder Creek. There is a 12'+ double a mile or so from my house. Anything over 8-10' had to have something weird about it to save it from the clear cuts of the old growth.

I have been to a couple of redwood groves. I think one was the Jedidiah Smith grove out of Gasque. I hate to say it, but I was disappointed. I'd been working in some of our Warshington big trees and thought the redwoods were kind of cheaters. They have multiple tops and some seem to be grown together at the butt. As I was a timber cruiser at the time, I was looking at things that would be volume deductions, up here, and there were a lot of those. Yes, I know, it is a different world in the Redwoods. I'm being honest, that was my impression. I'm thinking there are better groves on to the south. Are there?:confused:

I have been on a quest for the holy grail! More than once. I have a new mission this weekend, I can't find a few redwood pic's I had, and alot are on old film. So I am going to take some new pic's, and post them. I will try soon. And thank's for the compliment:rock:

Hi norm how is things in California ?

i am led to say to you keep the faith times are getting ready to be tough and its that faith that passeth all understanding that is going to be the drive source to get you past that tough time that is down the road aways

do not loose focus look at the bigger picture when you think you are alone you are not alone for you will be carried by the lord himself

i do not know you or do not know your situations but i felt led to say these words to you

calvin

I worked with a guy who used to work in the Redwoods. Had some interesting stories about trying to get that big wood loaded on a truck and getting the truck to where it was supposed to go.

Redwoods can be pretty strange, multiple stems are common, particularly the alluvial flat trees. This type of growth is associated with flood and fire damage.
This is typical of fire damage growth.
trees003.jpg

One of the reasons for odd trees is the fact they live for a long time and compensate for changing conditions.
If the ground settles, the tree will grow another top or a whole new tree for balance. If the tree gets badly burned, it will throw up a bunch of root sprouts, something similar occurs with a heavy silt deposit. Often the sprouts "graft" themselves to the parent tree, causing a wall of Redwood. A good example of this is at Cal-Barrel Road, in the Prairie Creek State Park.
The easiest groves to see are in Southern Humboldt, travel the Ave and the Bull Creek Flats. There are miles of what most folks consider prime Redwoods. Like these.
trip015-1.jpg

I know where some of the best are and where some of the more bizarre trees live. A little know fact is that there are leftovers from a much earlier period. Scattered around are elderly giants or remnants of such. I have a copy of a map, made over a lifetime, by the Hawthorne Brothers, that shows where many of most superb groves and individual giants are or were. One of the old trees can be seen on Bull Creek, the top is gone, yet it is as tall as the relatively new stand is and they are representative of what we call giant Redwoods.
Don't even think about seeing the map, I will burn it before letting the public get a hold of it. Too many places have been exploited for personal glory, such as the Grove of the Titans in Del Norte. I made a promise to a couple old men, long in their graves, that I fully intend to keep.

If you cant make it to the coast, theres some redwoods in the sierra's nevada's mountains, called The Placer Big Trees Grove, just east of foresthill CA at 5000ft elevation...even got the the biggest douglas fir I have ever seen.
There's massive, Ponderosa pines, Sugar Pines, incense ceadar's and Douglas firs as well.

This northernmost grove of giant sequoia's is only a half mile hike with about 10 or so big tree's...but well worth it.

here's a giant with 12 ft. DBH

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

Giant doug fir... mabey 10ft DBH

IMG_1198.jpg

Last edited:
I just took down a 2 ft oak behind my house and thought that was a pretty big tree.:D

I'd love to venture out there. I have a friend in Seaside, but never seem to get out there.

We don't have redwoods, but there are plenty of oaks of all varietys that are so old and large, that i catch myself staring at them. A guy across the road from me has a red oak in his yard that has to be around 200 years. It within 3 feet of his house, too.

I imagine that it is a lot of work to take one of those down with a chainsaw. Even the biggest saws seem underpowered next to some of those trees. However the men who took some of the biggest down with an axe and a cross cut saw, deserve the utmost respect!! My hats off to the guys who have played with the giants:cheers:!!!!

I imagine that it is a lot of work to take one of those down with a chainsaw. Even the biggest saws seem underpowered next to some of those trees. However the men who took some of the biggest down with an axe and a cross cut saw, deserve the utmost respect!! My hats off to the guys who have played with the giants:cheers:!!!!
The question I have to ask is how on earth did two men drop it by themselves and how was it ever bucked into mammoth logs, loaded onto a train, and finally cleared from the forest? :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back