GTG at Tree Monkey's DEC. 6 Augusta, WI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert, as much energy as the logs have while being loaded & when the rounds fall after being cut, you would have to be very careful with a folding design. Note the catch tray on the splitter side IS hinged & folds up for transport.

The bucking stand is actually separate from the trailer under it & only has the bolts from the end rails holding it in place. But as Doug noted, the way it is setup, it is mobile equipment & does not need to be licenced. By having the heavy gauge expanded metal & no flooring under the area of the bucking stand, wood chips/saw dust can fall through to the ground. By the end of the day a huge amount is produced.

For those who want to build one, if you want an opinion of your design before you build it, I would be happy to look them over & give you feed back hopefully saving you some of the "growing pains" experienced during the development of this one.

Even though it tows well at 75 mph, I am considering adding another pair of axle hangers moving the axle back another 2 feet. I would use the current rear pair as the front pair. However, doing so may not allow the tongue to lower far enough to set the rear pair of prop legs the way we are doing it currently.

Gallon of kosher dills, drained save juice and quarter the pickles. 4c sugar 1.5 cup vinegar and bring those 2 to a boil. 4-6 oz prepared horseradish in bottom of gallon jar, pickles on top, then dissolved sugar and vinegar on top, top off with saves dill juice. Place lid on and shake over sink. Refrigerate overnight and devour. These make phenomenal pickle wraps!

Since we are throwing some recipes around, how about the candy bacon recipe?
OK seriously, though... It's not my recipe to give, but I've got enough to get you started for some experimenting:
Make a brown sugar slurry, put thick cut bacon in it. Lay sugary bacon flat on parchment paper in pan m bake in oven to close to done. Take out, change to fresh parchment, put back in oven to crisp up.
That's all I can share. You got to figure out specifics. [emoji4]

OK seriously, though... It's not my recipe to give, but I've got enough to get you started for some experimenting:
Make a brown sugar slurry, put thick cut bacon in it. Lay sugary bacon flat on parchment paper in pan m bake in oven to close to done. Take out, change to fresh parchment, put back in oven to crisp up.
Thanks Sarah

Hmmmmmm on the smoker???? I think so!

Philbert, as much energy as the logs have while being loaded & when the rounds fall after being cut, you would have to be very careful with a folding design. Note the catch tray on the splitter side IS hinged & folds up for transport.

I agree, no need for a folding design for the reasons mentioned above. This trailer takes a beating and needs to be sturdy. It tows just fine with little to no wind resistance. If a person wants to build one that folds up, go for it. IMO, folding and unfolding is more unnecessary work. I think we need to focus on keeping the logs and rounds on the trailer. We had a few logs slide off the side and some large rounds fall out the doors. Fortunately, we avoided serious injury, but it is only a matter of time before IT happens. I tell my kids all the time "None of this is worth getting injured/hurt over". Some of this is on the skid steer operator but some small changes in the design will go a long way to protect the people on the bottom and sides of the trailer. My 2 cents...

I agree, no need for a folding design for the reasons mentioned above. This trailer takes a beating and needs to be sturdy. It tows just fine with little to no wind resistance. If a person wants to build one that folds up, go for it. IMO, folding and unfolding is more unnecessary work. I think we need to focus on keeping the logs and rounds on the trailer. We had a few logs slide off the side and some large rounds fall out the doors. Fortunately, we avoided serious injury, but it is only a matter of time before IT happens. I tell my kids all the time "None of this is worth getting injured/hurt over". Some of this is on the skid steer operator but some small changes in the design will go along way to protect the people on the bottom and sides of the trailer. My 2 cents...

but some small changes in the design will go along way to protect the people on the bottom and sides of the trailer

but some small changes in the design will go along way to protect the people on the bottom and sides of the trailer

My 2 cents. Flatter angles at the log loading would be nice. Easier to push logs when flatter. Loading height is bit high. I only have one loader that can load the trailer and it is to big to take to longer distance cuts.(10500lb)

I like that the cut rounds move to the splitters by gravity. But what is the ideal angle so they are not so hung up or launched. Make it adjustable with hydraulics? Step changes in angles? A mechanical engineer that works with product flow would be helpful on this. Or would a smoother surface down at the bottom allow the cut rounds to slide better. Keep the expanded metal at the top cutting area and then switch to smooth metal the rest of the way down to the picking area.

I want some kind of round forwarding on my bucking stands but have not figured it out. Spent the entire day on the 6th loading logs and watching the cutters trying to come up with an improvement. Step one get some 48" long pickaroons for snatching the cut rounds. The cutters spent plenty of time organizing and forwarding the cut rounds to the splitter helper.

I like that the picking area was enlarged. Allows for the cutter to get further ahead of the splitters.

I really like the trailer. Was close to buying it once. Just needs a few tweaks. Sure beats bending over! But I don't think charity cuts was its intended purpose. I would like to come up with something designed for charity cuts. The more wood we can process as a group the more people we can help.

Hanging a screen on the back side would make happier splitter people, and maybe stop or slow a thrown chain.

A good hookeroon (aka not one the end fell off constantly) per splitter really works pretty good on the flatbed with Doug's stand. Still kicking myself for not bringing mine with down, it was behind the seat of the wood hauler when I grabbed some other stuff I never used...

Not much angle at all needed to roll a round, but sliding em lengthwise takes a lot more. Wish I'd spent a little time around Oliver's trailer to really see how it worked, but a lot of you guys have that covered.

Doug's stand was stupid simple, and worked good. I thought we were gonna have to nail it down, but once we got some sawdust on the snow/ice on the trailer, it stayed put pretty well. Even if we had to hold it in place, just nailing some scrap pieces of 2x to the deck around the feet would have done the job. I know it's narrow so it fits in the trailer, but maybe 2 of em side by side would have been better to support the long stuff?

Thinking out loud/brainstorming here

My 2 cents. Flatter angles at the log loading would be nice. Easier to push logs when flatter. Loading height is bit high. I only have one loader that can load the trailer and it is to big to take to longer distance cuts.(10500lb)

I like that the cut rounds move to the splitters by gravity. But what is the ideal angle so they are not so hung up or launched. Make it adjustable with hydraulics? Step changes in angles? A mechanical engineer that works with product flow would be helpful on this. Or would a smoother surface down at the bottom allow the cut rounds to slide better. Keep the expanded metal at the top cutting area and then switch to smooth metal the rest of the way down to the picking area.

I want some kind of round forwarding on my bucking stands but have not figured it out. Spent the entire day on the 6th loading logs and watching the cutters trying to come up with an improvement. Step one get some 48" long pickaroons for snatching the cut rounds. The cutters spent plenty of time organizing and forwarding the cut rounds to the splitter helper.

I like that the picking area was enlarged. Allows for the cutter to get further ahead of the splitters.

I really like the trailer. Was close to buying it once. Just needs a few tweaks. Sure beats bending over! But I don't think charity cuts was its intended purpose. I would like to come up with something designed for charity cuts. The more wood we can process as a group the more people we can help.

I like all your points. I would comment on the highlighted parts. Gravity is your friend if it can be done. Also, John's trailer has smooth flat wood at the bottom of the log landing area (after bucking). With a little saw dust it is slick as snot. I can slide a round from one end of the trailer to the other with relative ease. With that being said, there is a family that makes high quality wooden handled pickaroons to whatever length you want (at very fair prices). There is a link on another site (if I can find it) if you are interested. I don't think a long pickaroon is needed on John's trailers if you have 3 splitters surrounding it; unless, of course, you want to steal that cherry sized, straight grained round from the other splitter :)

Back