Guide for identifying (already cut) wood(s)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter44752

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can anyone refer me to a good online guide (or easily available book, pamphlet, etc.) on how identify already-cut logs in terms of their suitability as firewood? (I go to a mulching facility about once a week and there are usually what look to be good cut logs which I've been "transporting" to another location.) :greenchainsaw:

Sometimes if I can't tell I split one and smell the fresh wood, it is very good way once you know the wood smell, red oak and white oak smell different like day and night white oak also splits harder more stringy than red oak, ash noticeably different smell and a ring around the wood just inside the bark and black ash has a very dark center core right in the middle of the rounds, maple you can tell by the bark also has a different smell, birch is easy unless all the bark is off. elm smells like piss and splits very hard stringy.
I like this sites chart for best wood btu's etc. http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1554/build/g1554.pdf

Last edited:
Here's a good test to determine the type of wood after it's already cut.

1. obtain a sample of the wood
2. throw the wood sample in a fire
3. if it burns, it's of the firewood variety. if it doesn't burn, it's of the no-good-firewood variety.

You're welcome. :D

3. if it burns, it's of the firewood variety. if it doesn't burn, it's of the no-good-firewood variety.

:agree2:

Honestly, I am not a picky burner... more of a scavanger of dead leaners and wind blown heaps... Found a patch of Locust last year and will try to find them..

I'll quote you next time I try to sell split pine. :biggrinbounce2:

Back