Gustav tree damage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

priest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It appears to me from watching the Weather Channel that Gustav will not leave a major path of destruction as anticipated. We were planning on heading down since its about as close to Oklahoma as a hurricane can get. I just bought a new travel trailer yesterday--but now we are unsure of the amount of tree work needed.
If anyone gets any reliable information on the tree damage I would appreciate the info.
Its so hard to tell anything from TV, internet, etc. For instance, the media sort of downplayed Rita in 2005, but we headed over there anyways and there was tons of damage.

Thanks

its way too early for tree damage to "appear" on TV. all they are watching right now are the levees. 100mph + wind and all that rain? trees suffered, and damage will show up eventually as tv crews are able to navigate roadways. they certainly caught a break, though.
that storm could of been a lot worse.
the wind is still running 80 mph, and raining hard for the next couple of days.

for me as a rule of thumb 70 mph winds are worth traveling a few hours or so 100 mph winds are worth traveling where ever needed. I'm with Big T 500,000 without power, you can bet there are trees everywhere. If I wasn't up to my eyeballs right now I would be heading south from Iowa.

storms

Im with PTS and Big T all the way.I guess 3 more storms are lining up out there this is going to get interesting becareful no matter what you do.

I live in a small city just west of where the eye past,and 15 miles north of the Gulf. I only saw four trees down as I rode through town this afternoon. We were very lucky, I expected a lot worst.

Looks like lots of trees are still standing but have branches lost.

These are often good to prune instead of remove, if you know how to climb, that is. Attached is a guide from an ice strom 6 years ago but it applies to hurricane damage too.

I hate to say this but im in central Va. We need this storm around here. I hope nothing bad happens to people but the work could benefit us out here.

storms are a natural event. you can't wish them away, and if you don't gouge, you can help people. nobody criticizes a lineman, or a utility co. worker for going and getting paid good,

but when a tree guy who needs a boost to his business speaks up, hypocrites come out of the woodwork.

Stormwork pays for a lot of equipment that could not be acquired otherwise, and builds businesses up to where a comfortable living can be made.

Well we can't help what hacker's do. I can only speak for myself it would help me out alot and stimulate more business for me. I have never gouged anyone on prices I always give my normal prices storm related or not.. maybe thats why I need more business to buy more equip. lol... If I made some people mad with my comment about needing a storm here im sorry but if you want here is my size 13's wear em for a mile then tell me im wrong. Here in Richmond,Va. there is alot of hackers and fly by night businesses that are actually hurting the good people here by underbiding way low. Plus the economy stinks. I have been in business for 6 " Legal " years with no complaints with BBB times are a lil rough so yes I welcome a storm that was my .02 to yall...

Here in Richmond,Va. there is alot of hackers and fly by night businesses that are actually hurting the good people here by underbiding way low.

Thats everywhere!
and when i roll with a crane, and millions in insurance coverage, especially workmans comp, and lots of real gear,
and am lifting trees requiring substantial work off houses for $2,000 -$3,000,
and all the fricking hacks are getting $6,000 to clear yards and driveways,
and working out of a car or beat up pickup, I gotta shake my head.

and they stay, with a cell # and a motel room. like cockroaches.:deadhorse:

In most storms I've been to, (which has been 15 years) excluding established local companies, more than half the crews belong in jail.

I don't wish a hurricane on anybody but I wouldn't mind the work either!

Wishful thinking won't bring it here either.

I had just within the last 2-3 weeks sent out a newsletter that mentioned hurricane season and 1 of the customers who called I gave a proposal to remove 1 medium sized branch off a neighbors tree that leaned toward their house. I guess the newsletter worked a little too good because they called today and want it done right away, sorry we're booked out a couple weeks right now, he says that won't work there's a HURRICANE coming up the coast!!!!!!! He didn't want to hear that it could go any direction, oh well. FLAKE!

Quite often storms bring in good business for the local companies but people come in from all areas to help...........and a lot 'traveling' tree companies stay. If you think you've got a lot of competition just wait until after a storm. I lived in an area that was hit with a 100 year ice storm back in 1994..........the number of tree companies tripled for the next few years and stayed at about double after that.

Almost all of the trimming I saw from both the local and traveling tree companies........did more damage to the trees than the storm itself.

Unnecessary removals and butchered trimming was everywhere!

It was disgusting.

I must admit you are correct as much as I hate to say it but it does bring people into the mix and creates more companies that stay and butcher. I agree but it still would help out alot of people here in Richmond got screwed by people after Isabel and on news they told people not to fool with out of town tree companies after that and every legit company had to register under a state or locality as a reputable business to use. I do alot of work for Virginia dept of transportation as well as local universitys and community colleges where I have contracts and or you have to be a registered vendor to provide a service to them. So on that aspect of it im safe but it would hurt other businesses here. +1 to you Treeco

Back