hacks for starting saws--getting older!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fellah

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been sawing for decades but age is taking it's toll on my ability to start saws. Argh! I lift weights in the gym but now am struggling to pull hard and fast enough on my Stihl 290 and 261. Really sucks.

The hacks I'm considering are manually priming the saw, putting in an Ergo or Elastostart rope, and bumping down to saw that has a primer bulb. I cut some 2 foot stuff so need a bigger saw for felling and bucking. Anyone already go through this? Ideas for us aging sawyers?

Many years ago when I was pulling wrenches,we sold big saw to a little bitty hunched over 70 plus year old man, a Stihl 066 or possibly 660 ? been over 20 years so Im not sure,I do remember no compression release, he couldnt start saw but really wanted it,boss let him take home to try,the little ol guy built a wooden frame that went through both handles and he could stand on frame then pull rope with both hands,he was so thrilled to be able to start his saw, he was still starting and using that saw 3 or 4 years later when I left that shop.
Maybe you can figure something like that out, for me my left shoulder is shot,so to start big saws I use my left knee on handlebar to hold down then pull with right hand,just couple ideas that may or may not help.
Few days ago my old boss and I was talking about that older gentleman and his saw,old boss said the gentleman was still using that saw well into his 80s .

I have a bum shoulder but still managed to start my 395xp about a month ago. If I don't hurt it from a backfire or wreckless hard pull I can keep pulling well enough not to hurt to bad. Small saws I have an ms180 easy start and Echo cs400 that are very forgiving. The trick to the other saws is getting them stablely planted and concentrating on the pull. Multiple pulls suck.
It's not safe or recommended but I drop start a lot, pulling with my good shoulder.
As posted in the past here, several slow easy pulls on choke help as a prime before a faster pull to start it. If you have a decompression valve , prime it before pushing it in for the start pull, works pretty good.

Starting fluid is great stuff. Hey you will burn your motor up! The old Lawn Boy let it sets all winter one pull start. Was talking with a old snowmobile guy working on them about 40 years. You can start a 2 stroke with starting fluid. Just never run them. My thoughts prove it. Been about 5 years starting the mower. I spray it all summer to mow. On 4 cycles engines I notice big holes were the choke covers the carburetor. To say cold blooded start is normal with this stuff. I ran Briggs Kohler for decades in winter. And would start fast. One thing about a battery in winter like people they do not work long in cold. With a fake choke Honda motor just spray it.

If you are hurting with shoulder or arm problems. I am right handed. My left shoulder was hurting bad. My trade is carpenter I was thinking one day I use my right arm to bang nails all day with no pain at all. My thoughts swing left handed. I drove a few awkward nails at first my wrist from the impact would hurt. Went away very fast. I drove more nails left handed. Not pretty just do it. I had back aches I would jump out the tail gates or go on a 4 mile run. To any pain ask. Do you drink any water?

this is something I've thought of before but never had the need to try it out yet. Installing a small ball valve in the cylinder in the decomp hole or making your own hole would give you full control over your compression. So if you turn it to fully open and have the choke closed you could pull it a couple times to prime the system with no effort and then close it to start. I did something similar once on high compression project saw where I would pull the plug and pull it over 5 times than put the plug in and it would start on the first pull.

There might even be a sweet spot on the ball valve where it will start at say 5% to 10% making that one or two starting pulls also easier.

How do you start your saws? Maybe you can work on your technique. I rebuild a 024 for my neighbour once. Old, small guy, 75+. He just couldn't get it started. Showed him how he could not only use his arm to pull, but turn his whole upper body while pulling so he gets more momentum.

I set the chain brake, grab the cord handle with my left, and with my right I push the saw down hard and simultaneously pull up hard with my left. It even worked on the 880 I used to have. I've never had much strength, but I have no problem starting my 044 and 064, (no comp release) when I do it that way. Timing, and using the weight of the saw to help start it. I struggle to see the danger in this if I set the chain brake first.

No idea how many different saws I start a week. Dozens. Mostly small, but an occasional MS660 or 880.

I don't drop start anything usually. I put it on the ground. Put the heel of my right boot in the far side of the rear handle and do it that way. I pull the cord until the compression builds, let it back down, and go.
The bigger the starter rope diameter is the more leverage you have. That is the reason you let it back down.
I'm 70 . I normally don't use decomp even if it is there because it makes stuff I am working on slower to start .
Although, it is likely a good thing in general because it is less wear on starter.

I can start my hopped up 55cc chinese saw with my pinky finger it pulls over so easy, it's weird having a saw pull over that easy but nice once you get used to it.
Some of the Zenoah clones have very easy pulling easy pull starters. They pull so easy people break them pulling too hard.

I'm having the same problems as the OP. Just rebuilt a Stihl 029. Came in with running poorly complaint. Piston, rings, cylinder were pristine. 110 psi with 3 pulls. Nice blue spark. Replaced carb with an OEM. $60. Put fuel in and found cracked fuel tank at the seam. Customer said fix it. OEM fuel tank, $168. New seals, fuel line & filter, impulse line, etc. Just got it all buttoned up yesterday. Now waiting on one of my young buddies to stop by and start that bustard and make final carb adjustments if needed. lmao :cool: OT

'Specially to start a Stihl I haven't used in a while, I remove spark plug and squirt in a few pumps from an oil can filled with fresh 40:1. 90% it will start easily, and suck fuel in to keep going. The other 10% requires a repeat. BUT, I'm 76 and those e.g., 039 saws, are a challenge.. This works for me. Even for my 260 PRO -- with compression release -- it makes life so much easier.
geo

Latest posts

Back