Had a nasty run in with my Fiskars SS...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Started not to post this but swallowed my pride and hopefully it'll help some of the newer members and maybe even a few of you more seasoned woodies out there. Anyway, came home from work yesterday with the thought of getting a little wood splitting done b4 sundown. Didn't bother changing into my steel toes like I should have since I figured I'd only be splitting for less than an hour. Big mistake!! I'd gone thru maybe 6 or 7 rounds when I caught the edge of a crotched piece and the momentum carried right on through and I smashed my big toe something fierce with the maul:dizzy:! I wanted to let out a yell to wake the dead but the pain was so excruciating I just kinda stood there for a few seconds in shock. I looked at my boot expecting to see a huge slice in the leather but amazingly there was none. Nevertheless I just knew I'd busted my toe for sure. Hobbled into the house and immediately my wife asked if I'd hurt myself. Not wanting to stress her out I made it seem like it wasn't that big of a deal. Went to the bedroom to take off my boot in private just in case my white sock was turning crimson but to my surprise and relief there was no blood:clap:! Upon removing the sock there was no nail damage but I could see where the discoloration was beginning to set in. Long story short, I was blessed with just a very bruised toe along with my ego. Haven't felt pain like this in a long time...kept me up for most of the night until I found some Vicodin I had left over from some dental work:clap:.

Accidents can and will happen but if you have protective gear and chose not to wear it then you're just inviting disaster. I learned a very painful lesson and you can bet I won't let something like that happen again. Be safe out there guys.

Bryan

Good reminder for PPE. Thanks.

Someone rep the man for me please.

Kevin

Thanks Kev

BTW your little one sure is growin' up...one day you're changin' diapers and the next...oh well.

Too fast for me. She's getting independent at the ripe age of 2. I think 'mom' is about to kick the potty training up another notch. She did her first 'big' no-no the other night...writing with a black ink pen on the white wall (had never thought that she would do that...:rolleyes:) . What I heard from upstairs was: "OH NOOO...KEVIN!!!" after she was discovered by mom. After some scrubbing, mom got enough off so it looks decent. I guess my wife and I are still learning...NO more leaving ANY pen, pencil, marker etc. unsecured! I'm sure this is just the beginning. We still love her very much. :)

Okay...back on track...

Kevin

My dang wife threw out the old, expired, vicatin or percaset or whatever the pain killers were that I picked up for widsom tooth or broken bone work. We don't keep old medicine around!! she says. I don't like those drugs as they make me feel ill but if you are in major pain, they are nice to have on hand even if they are a week over the date.

Too fast for me. She's getting independent at the ripe age of 2. I think 'mom' is about to kick the potty training up another notch. She did her first 'big' no-no the other night...writing with a black ink pen on the white wall (had never thought that she would do that...:rolleyes:) . What I heard from upstairs was: "OH NOOO...KEVIN!!!" after she was discovered by mom. After some scrubbing, mom got enough off so it looks decent. I guess my wife and I are still learning...NO more leaving ANY pen, pencil, marker etc. unsecured! I'm sure this is just the beginning. We still love her very much. :)

Okay...back on track...

Kevin

Mr Clean magic eraser...Just don't let her play w/ it....They can cause chemical burns to sensitive skin...

Mr Clean magic eraser...Just don't let her play w/ it....They can cause chemical burns to sensitive skin...

Done. As we looked at the wall, my wife said something to the effect of: "I wish I had some of that Magic Eraser stuff..." I can't recall right now what cleaner she used that night, but the next day while she was in town, she picked up a box of the Magic Eraser.

Thanks for the note about chemical burns...it's way out of the little one's reach.

Kevin

Glad you're OK Bryan.
Do you split on the ground or use a block? I can see where the shorter handle of the SS could be dangerous splitting on the ground. Still my favorite axe though.
Dan.

Glad you're OK Bryan.
Do you split on the ground or use a block? I can see where the shorter handle of the SS could be dangerous splitting on the ground. Still my favorite axe though.
Dan.

Thanks Dan,

I use a block. And usually a tire to split rounds in as well. This time though I wasn't using my regular block. You're right about splitting on the ground...not something I'd recommend. Still my favorite axe too though I'll be a lot more respectful of it from now on.

Yes, a block with an old tire around it to catch the "deflectors". That SS is sharp as he11, I sliced my hand once when getting it un-stuck...now I always wear gloves when handling the little beast.

RD

We have had a thread about FSS about a year ago......I posted about safety when splitting.....there is more to read in this thread....
Hit_here.JPG

also watch my FSS video on Youtube...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Good reminder for PPE. Thanks.

Someone rep the man for me please.

Kevin

I've got points for the man too. Good reminder. We're fighting the rain here in Minnesota trying to get the crops in and everyone needs to be reminded to stay safe even when we're hustling to beat old man winter.

We have had a thread about FSS about a year ago......I posted about safety when splitting.....

I remember that thread...good stuff. I'll definitely keep safety at the forefront where it belongs. All it takes is one accident for me to learn from!

PS thanks for all the reps guys...not sure how that works yet but I appreciate it.

Back