Had to deal with one of "those guys" yesterday.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gots a 28" bar on a 70cc saw... guess I'm one of those guys... :laugh:

Gary

I'm not saying a 71cc saw can't pull a 28" bar..... But when you've got a beat to hell, leaned out saw, pulling a full comp that is larger than recomended....it's not too practical. Especially when dealing with large hardwoods. He should've atleast had a skip tooth, or semi-skip tooth, or tuned the damn thing.

My word for "those guys" is knucklehead they think you are paying them an old buddy compliment but the reallity is you are saying they have to look up to see an ants butt or (insert your words here).

This guy most definately qualifys as a knucklehead not so much for being dumb and lazy but treating that 372 like that oh man what a KH.

Kansas

The last time I had an 'expert' like that drop by to see what I was doing I sent him over to my tool box to get a 4/8" wrench.

He never did find one but informed me that the 3/8" and 5/8" were there.

I said, "Keep looking".

That's great. I'll remember that one. HEHE

I'm not saying a 71cc saw can't pull a 28" bar..... But when you've got a beat to hell, leaned out saw, pulling a full comp that is larger than recomended....it's not too practical. Especially when dealing with large hardwoods. He should've atleast had a skip tooth, or semi-skip tooth, or tuned the damn thing.

Oh... I know what you meant. I too get a few of them around here. I was just makin' a lame attempt at comedy. :laugh:

Gary

Oh... I know what you meant. I too get a few of them around here. I was just makin' a lame attempt at comedy. :laugh:

Gary

While you might be short on humor, your knowledge of all things oil related...

I wonder why the guy's tree company let him go.....:monkey:

Had a similar experience in Vermont snowmobiling. Young guy stops by and wants to ride. I asked him if he ever rode before and he said sure! Gets on sled and starts it up. Immediately asks "how do you shift it?". Right then I knew he was a know it all who knew nothing.

That sounds just exactly like my EX BIL!!!!! Right down to the sandles and beat 372 (no offense Rope!!) and I wouldn't let him cut my fish line let alone cut wood!! They call him "DUDE" or HAY DUDE!! :censored:ing nitwit is what I called him. His sister turned out to just as nuts and she didn't even use the booze and drugs!!
Just how far Northeast are you Mad?

None taken my dawgs are beat up a little but they run like the wind:cheers:

I am glad i was not in that shop i would have had to leave or i would have been on the ground launghing till my side hurt. I dont know everything about saws but i am sure the piston have two rings

Fire on the mountain , lightning in the air, gold in them hills awaitin for me there:cheers: I like Marshall Tucker

Absolutely!

And by a nice coincidence, I was delivering a tractor today and I was blasting the old live album where Charlie Daniels came out and joined them on "24 hours at a time".

Maddbomber, you're a nice guy...

First the guy went and got two beers without offering you any. Then he belittled you. Some people just try too hard to be liked. Some folks would have shown him the door immediatley but at least he can't say you were rude.

So, I was in the shop, tearing down my Jonsered, when this guy walks in. I've known this person for a few years, as he works for another tree company. Apparently he's out of work, so he's asking if we need another hand..... Ummm.... Nope! He's wearing sandles with socks, ratty sweatpants, and an ancient t-shirt full of holes. Before I can usher him out the door he pulls a beer out of his pocket and cracks it open, followed by a nip of cheapo rum. Then he spots my disasembles saw. He goes into this long ignorant narrative about how Jonsered sucks, and Husky is way better. I try to tell him that they are essentially the same, but he doesn't want to hear it... "Ya but, Husky is better!" Sure buddy, sure.
Then he asks the cc of my Jonsered so I tell him it was originally a 65cc but now it's a 71cc. He laughs and tells me it's a girl saw, that his smallest is 90cc. Then abruptly he leaves, and returns in seconds with the most beat up chainsaw I've ever seen. He plops it down on my workbench and announces "This is a man's saw". Woudn't you know it's a 372xp. so I ask him where is the 90cc saw. He looks confused, so I show him the EPA label and how his saw is 71cc.... same as mine. His feathers get all ruffled, so he pulls out another beer and nip (never offered me a thing).
You should have seen this poor 372xp. The thing was hammered in oil-wood chip paste. The plastics were all cracks and taped, the visible AV sping was mashed and bent badly. I asked if he ran it over or something, and he tells me that it's from 'dogging it in'. He also had a 28 inch bar on it. I asked him why he had such a long bar on a 71cc machine. His priceless answer was "so i don't have to bend over to buck".... Wow! Then he proceeds to fire it up, and rev it to high heaven. Talk about lean... I was waiting for that poor motor pop.
A few beers later he sees my old 65cc piston hanging on the 'wall of shame' He starts fiddling with it, and asks why I changed it out. I show him the scoring and tell him how it only has one piston ring. "Every chainsaw has one piston ring." he replied. He goes off on another narrative about how he's been working on chainsaws for 30 years, and every one he's ever worked on has had one piston ring. So, of course i pull out the pistons for a 385xp, 026, 028 Super, Titan 57, MS260, and an MS 270.... all with 2 rings. He quickly dropped the subject then noticed my Jonsered's muffler mod. He asks a few questions, i answer them, and he tells me muff mods don't increase power at all. To increase power you just have to keep your 'Air injection' clean.
What?
I try to tell him about the mechanics of internal combustion engines, but ignorance is bliss. Apparently his saw can out cut my saw. Of course, mine is in 30 pieces, but i tell him there is an old McCulloch Titan 57 that we can race if he wants. Sure enough, we go out to the pile of logs, I fire up the old McCulloch, and let that 20 inch bar rip threw a 18 inch log. No problem. Not fast, but steady. He fires his up, holds it WOT (still wearing sandals) and drops it onto the log. That beat 372 just bogs and the chains stops. He tries again... same thing, then on the third try it finally chews through. I tell him again that his bar might be a bit long for the saw.... This time he tells me he cleans it once a month.
Okay.
Finally after that he leaves. No goodbye, no wave, just a burn-out, with that 372xp smashing around in the back of his pickup.
Later, buddy.

Cant tell you how much I enjoyed this post. Best of 2009 IMO. Good story and well written to boot!

These nitwits are great fun though. Just let 'em ramble on. The more they talk, the funnier it gets. I get this type in the store now and then. Here's a little sample. Guy who brags that he was a mechanic for 43 years couldn't find the time to buy a much needed air filter for his Exmark, so he got a screw driver and poked a bunch of holes in the old one and ran it that way for a month. TOAST! Another genius lost his, so he took his wifes loofa sponge out of the bathtub and shoved it in the carb. TOAST!

I could go on and on and on........

i have a 28 for my 77cc? makes my a idiot? cant you buy a ms440 with a 32? thats 76cc isnt it?:cheers:

Latest posts

Back