Had to laugh at this one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Woody

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In my quest for the Holy Grail of Bar oil (winter bar oil) I saw the Stihl catalogue showed it in a blue jug. Went to the dealer and got the same response as at the husky and jonsy dealers as well as elsewhere:

1. Never heard of it

After you prove to them it exits then you get:

2. We don't have it and you don't need it anyway
3. That stuff on the shelf there works good enough - just buy that

So I got them to look up the number and order 1 case of 6 gallon jugs (minimum order, only 5.86 per gallon).

So I go to pick it up 2 days later and the old kermudgeon parts guys acts all upset. Turns out the kid put in the wrong number and orderd 6 cases - 36 gallons.

Guess they'll have it in stock now.
Maybe even on sale. Ha Ha Ha

have someone go in now and try to buy reg bar oil and I'll bet they will tell him he needs to run the winter stuff in the cold or it may cause problems. We should take a poll as to if the dealer will now try to "sell" the idea of winter oil.

Hey Ben you gave me a really good idea. I'll take it back and tell them you said I didn't need it and ask for a refund. How do you think they'll take that?

They can set it by the other 5 cases in the corner.

Really though I like to use thinner oil when it gets in the low 20's or teens here which it does often. 5% Kero works good but never have it mixed up when I need it. I was also going to bring some to MN when I go home. Hopefully I'll be allowed to use it there.

I guess this is another example where the stihl engineers have no idea what they are talking about since they recommend it for temps below 32F. Funny that a company with such goofy ideas can even stay in business.

Big Woody said:
Hey Ben you gave me a really good idea. I'll take it back and tell them you said I didn't need it and ask for a refund. How do you think they'll take that?

They can set it by the other 5 cases in the corner.

Really though I like to use thinner oil when it gets in the low 20's or teens here which it does often. 5% Kero works good but never have it mixed up when I need it. I was also going to bring some to MN when I go home. Hopefully I'll be allowed to use it there.

I guess this is another example where the stihl engineers have no idea what they are talking about since they recommend it for temps below 32F. Funny that a company with such goofy ideas can even stay in business.
I bet you also grease your needle bearings every week.

Sorry, My bad

I went back and re-read the label. It is actually for use below 32 Kelvin. Those Europeans and their pesky systems of units.

Next thing you know they'll adopt the metric system to really confuse us.

Besides wouldn't you rather walk up to your buddies with a manly blue jug of oil instead of a feminin orange jug?

Yup, -466.07. 32 Kelvin minus 273.15 = -241.15 Celsius. -241.15 Celsius times 9/5 minus 32 = -466.07 Fahrenheit.

correction

Let me make what is called a "friendly ammendment" in parlimentary procedures. Perhaps you meant
-402.07F

The formula is:

F= ((K-273.15)*1.8)+32

Of course 0 K is called absolute zero which is, as we know, the temperature of International Falls, MN (the coldest place in the lower 48) on December 31 at 11:59 PM every year.

Yeah, now I should have added 32 instead of subtracting. Been too long since I've done conversions. But, enough digressions. Think I'll go to sleep and sleep it off. :laugh:

"Think I'll go to sleep and sleep it off".

Hey, thats what the students say at the end of the Mechanical Engineering classes that I teach. You weren't in one of my classes were you? The math seems right.

Latest posts

Back