Had to take the Huskee 22 ton splitter back the same day i purchased it!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer39

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Today i finally made the plunge and went to TSC to purchase a huskee 22 ton splitter. They had one in stock but it was not assembled so they told me they would assemble it and give me a call when its done. I went home and an hour later i got a call it was ready. Got there the guy started it up and it it ran good. I asked him if all the fluids were filled and he said “yep”. Took it home check the motor oil and it was right on the full mark. So i figured the hydraulic fluid was also filled also and did not check it. I ran it for about 20 mins splitting some nasty oak, walnut, and locust crotchs that I had set aside to be split with a splitter. It split them great and blasted right though them. Then i gathered up some pieces of sugar maple that i wanted to split down smaller and got to the last piece went forward to split got though the piece and went to retract the ram and i heard a nasty sound and the ram would not retract. I shut it down and let it sit for a min, started it and it did the same thing. Great i was thinking. I checked the hydraulic fluid and it was just on the end of stick :censored::dizzy::cry: . I looked around some more and found hydraulic fluid leaking from the return line on the valve, filter, and the drain plug. The drain plug was very loose i turned it a full turn until it got tight. So I don’t know if it leaked out that much fluid or if it was never filled. I was using the splitter in the grass and was not able to find the fluid that might have leaked out.

It does not end there every single hose clamp was loose and the one wheel was installed backwards so the bearing was exposed and no axle seal was protecting it. And the dust cap on the wheel was dented in very badly.

So i called up TSC they said to bring it back. It is still there and i am going to pick it up in the morning. He said he would give me a brand new one but they don’t have any more in stock and i would have to wait a week. They are giving me 15 percent off.

Do you think there is any damage that was done from it running low in fluid? Should i be concerned about any long term effects from this mishap? I would rather not wait a week but if it is going to be better in the long run i certainly will.

I really hope this is not a sign of things to come with this thing!!!!

As long as the Nasty sound wasn't the pump gears coming apart it should be fine. Keep every recipt and write down all the problems you had, maybe even get the guys names so if there ever is a Major problem you may get a new splitter (or free parts) for your troubles.

As long as the Nasty sound wasn't the pump gears coming apart it should be fine. Keep every recipt and write down all the problems you had, maybe even get the guys names so if there ever is a Major problem you may get a new splitter (or free parts) for your troubles.

i forgot to add, after i turned it off and let it sit for 10 mins or so it did retract but very slow. I only went about 2" back when going slowly then i shut it down again.

I know you...as well as I would be too...are excited to get that thing to work on your rounds but I think you should wait them out for a new one. It sounds like a doofus put that thing together and lord knows what else is wrong with it.

Take the week you have while waiting for the new one to go out and cut up some more rounds and stockpile them. Then you will have a longer uninterrupted splitting session when the new splitter comes home!

New one

Since you have some wood split I'd take the manager up on his offer of getting you a new, full of all fluids, wood splitter.

Before you hitch to the next one I would cycle the cylinder multiple time to purge all the air out of the system.

Like the other guys have mentioned it is unlikely that any long term damage occurred but I would go ahead with TSC offer.

Tom

Sounds to me like you did a good job brand bashing Huskee/speeco. When you should have been bashing TSC. Good luck with your next splitter.,

I would let them keep the mistake their employee made. 15% ain,t a big deal for what you went through. Get your money back and go to Lowes and by a Troy 27 ton for the same money. At least Lowes hires a small engine mech. to assemble theirs. :greenchainsaw:

It amazes me that so many people trust these incompetent flunkie "assemblers" at these stores to put their machine together... and then don't even check the machine over when they get it home...

Hard to say who's to blame here IMHO... :monkey:

It amazes me that so many people trust these incompetent flunkie "assemblers" at these stores to put their machine together... and then don't even check the machine over when they get it home...

Hard to say who's to blame here IMHO... :monkey:

i normally don't but i guess i got all excited and just wanted to use it. I was going to just assemble it myself but i knew i had no one to help me and i did not feel like trying to lift the I-beam and ram myself. Yea it is partially my fault but the guy ran the thing in the store. If i would not have seen that i would have checked everything closer.

I'd be getting my money back. Tell them to stuff that POS. Go find a used Timberwolf.

if i could find one i would have went that route trust me. I am actually used to using a tw-6. A friend of mine has a firewood business and i would help in in the winter and that is what he had.

Hydraulic pumps are executed by running dry. If there is any chance the pump was starved for fluid then you are better off getting a new splitter. You may have just cut the life of the pump in half (or worse). A new pump might be a few hundred dollars, but the aggravation of dealing with the failure when you need the splitter will be the worse part.

Ask for a new one.

Every mechanical thing I own new, used and "Tim Taylored" needs a little love and attention. Like your new splitter chances are running low on fluid caused no damage just by running low on hydraulic fluid. I split nearly 100 cord this season and believe me both my splitters got the attention they needed to perform their duty. But hey it has a warrenty and TSC is going to stand behind their products. I say go over the machine head to tail yourself and run it. After all there are very few parts in a splitter.

Wait for the new one to come.It isn`t your fault.You paid $1100.00 bucks for a product,.You shouldn`t have to take it home and check every clamp and fitting.TSC is at fault.Actually, those are good little splitters if taken care of.Someday, when you start your own business and sell 100 cord a year, buy a Timberwolf, until then the splitter you have will fill your shed with the 10 cord a year you need.

Wait for the new one to come.It isn`t your fault.You paid $1100.00 bucks for a product,.You shouldn`t have to take it home and check every clamp and fitting.TSC is at fault.Actually, those are good little splitters if taken care of.Someday, when you start your own business and sell 100 cord a year, buy a Timberwolf, until then the splitter you have will fill your shed with the 10 cord a year you need.

I agree...from a fellow 22 ton owner. There was a couple little stupid things put on mine wrong too when i got it...but nothing major. Fluids were all full and i did go back over and tighten hose clamps. But the thing runds great and i havent had anything it wouldnt split yet...im a homeowner not a commercial processor....i also dont need a 660 to fill my homeowner saw needs!

But i would wait and get a new one on TSC...just in case!

Back