Half Sled Engine Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not make one from a single cylinder? A 250, 340 Rotax single, or a 292 Yamaha? A lot of guys mod those 292's for vintage sled racing around here. The sleds push 70mph plus.

I have two half blown sled engines.

I guess one drawback, as opposed to a bike engine, is that the pto and mag ends would need to be reversed to make a right hand saw.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that. What kind of engines do you have that you are thinking of using? Sounds like an interesting concept....

Most of the sled engines, if not all, are on a bike lower end.

If you could make the sled lower work for you.... more power to you.

Fred

Most of the rotax's I have seen were halfed out on the lower end. Then you build the bar-side plate to seal the crankcase.

Most of the rotax's I have seen were halfed out on the lower end. Then you build the bar-side plate to seal the crankcase.

I guess the ones I saw were weirdos or one offs.

Thanks Romeo.

Fred

i've got parts from a polaris 800 sitting out in my garage.

my plan was to weld/jig/duct tape a sprocket onto the flywheel, and run it off of that.

the ignition is the hardest part of the whole gig, and if you can leave stock flywheel, stator, and ignition in place life will be simpler i'm thinking.

i've got parts from a polaris 800 sitting out in my garage.

my plan was to weld/jig/duct tape a sprocket onto the flywheel, and run it off of that.

the ignition is the hardest part of the whole gig, and if you can leave stock flywheel, stator, and ignition in place life will be simpler i'm thinking.

I've got a polaris watercraft 780 triple that I am considering chopping. The rear cylinder broke the rod and came out the side of the block, but the front cylinder is in great shape.

watercraft are muts. they do not make any power at all.

that 780 is probably less then 100 horsepower with all 3 cylinders.

i can ask around if there is a snowmobile cylinder that is easy to bolt on to your watercraft lower end.

It doesn't matter that much either way. The combustion chamber and porting must be re worked on either the snow or water engine to get what you want out of it. I have seen them made from either and seen either cut fast.

I got a old single lung Rotax setting in the shop. So its no good to build on? If so might send it to the scrap yard.
Bob

I got a old single lung Rotax setting in the shop. So its no good to build on? If so might send it to the scrap yard.
Bob

Sure, you can do it. Hope you have a good strong back like bull. Here's an early saw of mine from the "learning process" days.
HPIM0650.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back