hand filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pic, Gypo. Are you shooting pictures through a microscope.

I went on site yesterday with an apprentice to 'guide' him through his most technical job to date. I was confined to a reclining lawn chair and my job was purely instructional. It was killin me, like a kid being grounded looking out the window at the activities on the playground.

I had loaned him my 395 last week and yesterday when it came time to dice up big wood he told me, sheepishly, "uh, the chain's kinda dull". He had rocked it out, or more correctly, chainlink-fenced it out.

I went ahead and sharpened it for him, but had to do so without securing the bar in a vice. This reinforced, once again, my thought that if you're having trouble sharpening a chain it's because you're doing it like I did yesterday - One hand on the bar to keep the unit steady, one hand on the file handle, or worse, just holding the tang. One-handed filing not only gives poor control but it torques your wrist unnaturally and takes a lot longer. The process is awkward and remves the ease with which it can be done, which removes much of the joy involved in bringing a chain back up to 100%. I think it is very difficult to sharpen a chain both well and quickly without the saw and bar secured.

Hi TM, for any filing that requires "elbow grease", I think the saw should be in a fixed situation such as a vise as you mentioned since severe abrasive damage requires both hands and at least one new file to fix.
However in the field a simple touch up can be made easily with one hand on the file and the other holding the cutter.
It's extremely sacreligious to ruin a good chain but it happens, just as hitting rocks with garden tractor.
Any real bad damage should be fixed with a grinder, since a grinding wheel can do the job of several doz. boxes of files.
John

TM, the picture was taken with a 105 mm Nikon closeup lens on a Nikon D70 body. This lens is incredible as it is also a great portrait lens as well as a telephoto lens.
The closeups are a little tricky since depth of field is limited in low light situations, so I use all manual settings as far as F stop, shutter speed and focus.
John
DSC_0008.jpg

P_woozel said:
Pretty beaky looking. :blob2:

Hi P woozel the stoning of the cutter actually creates the beak which is very desireable, however we are talking race chain here and the pictures are a result of my experiments. The beak is almost invisible to the naked eye. :blob2:

DSC_0002.jpg

Great images! The diverse talents of the Arboristsite members never ceases to amaze me. Saw sharpeners, photographers,hair dressers, you're all WILD !

I never was consistently accurate with free-hand filing. I either get a buddy to file it (35 years cutting timber in the field), or I have my Stihl dealer grind it. Only dealer that makes it like a new chain without taking too much off. He charges $6.00. I can cut all day with it if I don't hit dirt or embedded objects. I usually end up sharpening one side too much or one bit too much so it grabs. The secret is too wear your reading glasses and really look at what you're doing. I think I must need stronger glasses.

Mike Maas said:
From what I know about you, you're probably running the tip of your saw in the dirt like it was a trencher, all day long. So what you said makes sense. :p

not likely,but no chain goes in the shop it all gets handfiled,i have a carlton file plate,bar cleaner and valorbe bar dresser in every vehicle and a vice on the chipper.as soon as a file dulls its thrown.

you would be suprised how little i spend on chains to turnover what i do,ashtray money.

do you know how to use a file-o-plate i bet alot of people wouldnt.

I would like to know Mr Aussie Lopa, not only how to use a file-o-plate, but also what the heck IS a file-o-plate? I've only ever done freehand, just a vise, a file and a file handle.

For so many years I've thought I knew a thing or two about chain sharpening; now I'm feeling like I only know just a thing.

It's just a little tin plate with a hole, that you set over the raker. The front sits on the chain, the back sits on the cutter, the raker sticks up through the hole. You file off what sticks out.
It work differently than most raker gages because it lowers the raker progressively more, as the cutter gets smaller. A new cutter will leave the raker at about .025, while with a cutter that is almost filed off, it will set the raker at about .035.
Because of the mechanics of a cutter, you want this, to keep the cutter doing the same thing.

storing files

I just found a couple more pictures of my file arrangement that might help some guys. The first couple are two ways I store files. The WORST way you can store a file is tossed into a tool box amongst other metal tools and hardware. Actually, maybe the more worst place to store a file is where it can get wet, because high-carbon steel rusts really fast and the sharp working edge of the file is the first to go.

The last picture is how I store boxes of files. I've gotten a lot of positive remarks on this simple concept. Using a piece of 3/4" plywood (I actually used 1" thick hackberry) lay the file boxes on the wood. Trace around them with a pencil. Cut the wood out to create the inserts and use any cord or bungee to hold them in.

It's nice to have files kept organized, esential to keep em dry.

Tree Machine said:
I would like to know Mr Aussie Lopa, not only how to use a file-o-plate, but also what the heck IS a file-o-plate? I've only ever done freehand, just a vise, a file and a file handle.

For so many years I've thought I knew a thing or two about chain sharpening; now I'm feeling like I only know just a thing.

there great,i actually taught a logger guy the other week who was working for me,that way i got all my big saws sharpened on his last day before going back to the coups.there the most dust collecting item in the saw shop and the key ingredient if your cutting low for stump removal.of course this is IMO.

ill run a course tommorow :p

ill tell you the holy grail of tree removals with overhanging limbs/trees,its that simple i need to tell someone T/M but your sworn to secrecy for LIFE,do you beleive me??

I believe you. I'll hold your secret until my grave, and beyond. I won't even tell God. Go ahead, my good friend. Spill the beans.

Tree Machine said:
I believe you. I'll hold your secret until my grave, and beyond. I won't even tell God. Go ahead, my good friend. Spill the beans.

im just thinking about the consequences,you couldnt beleive me, but i think you just might.

Latest posts

Back