Hand Sharpen NEW Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I'll admit that I had some time on my hands (dangerous thing, I know)...

I wanted to see how my hand sharpening compared to new out-of-the-box chain. Here is the set-up:

I just received (from Bailey's) 2 boxes of WoodsmanPRO 30RC chain (re-badged Carlton Chain). The saw is a Husqvarna 385XP on a 24" Husqvarna bar. The project was a 20" pine to fall and cut up. I took one of the new chains (at random) and ran it through my typical sharpening process using a Save Edge file and a Carlton File-O-Plate. I ran 2 to 3 strokes per cutter. No need to file the depth gauges here, due to new chain. Then I replaced the hand-filed chain with new out-of-the-box WoodsmanPRO 30RC.

I dropped the tree with my Husqvarna 353 (20" bar) so that the chain on the 385XP would be pristine.

Once the tree was down, I jacked-up the base of the tree to give me room to work without too much fear of grounding the chain. I fired-up the 385 and made 3 cuts. I let my friend run 2 additional cuts. Then I changed to the new out-of-the-box chain with the Jonny Quest hand file tweak.

I first asked my friend to make 2 cuts. Then I made 4 additional cuts. When it was all completed, we both agreed that the new hand sharpened chain cut significantly faster than the new machine ground chain.

What is "significantly faster"? I estimate 10% to 15% faster. Granted, this was not very scientific and really a subjective test. No stopwatches involved, no allowance for trunk diameter as we moved up the tree. The test was seat-of-the-pants at best.

All that said, I will continue to hand file my "new" chain. Also, the Save Edge files are very nice.

JQ

I don't usually sharpen out of the box, but it doesn't get use very long before it does get sharpened. I have found the same results with my hand sharpened chains. Faster than out of the box.:agree2:

I'm not surprised at your results, I have always thought that a hand filed chain is truly sharper then machine ground. I think the Machine does a great job at initial shape, but the file does better at a smooth sharp edge.

I personally have never thought about tuning up and out of box, I usually toss them in a tub of oil for a day or 2 and put them on. You have inspired me to try tuning up the next one right away.

Let’s see… math was never my strong suit but 10% of a minute is 6 seconds. A husky 372 will run about 15 min on a full tank of fuel. Six times 15 is 90 seconds. I can sharpen a chain quickly but not that quick. Makes more sense to me to just run it out of the box and sharpen after the first tank. Time is money and not much of it but it is neat to see that some things are better done by hand rather than machine.

Let’s see… math was never my strong suit but 10% of a minute is 6 seconds. A husky 372 will run about 15 min on a full tank of fuel. Six times 15 is 90 seconds. I can sharpen a chain quickly but not that quick. Makes more sense to me to just run it out of the box and sharpen after the first tank. Time is money and not much of it but it is neat to see that some things are better done by hand rather than machine.

You would be amazed at how much time, money and effort is expended in an attempt to get a 10% to 15% improvement...not just in chainsaws, but just about every other "thing" that draws out passion in people. For example, you will see people spend thou$and$ of dollar$ to get 10% increase in top speed in a bass boat.

JQ

You would be amazed at how much time, money and effort is expended in an attempt to get a 10% to 15% improvement...not just in chainsaws, but just about every other "thing" that draws out passion in people. For example, you will see people spend thou$and$ of dollar$ to get 10% increase in top speed in a bass boat.

JQ

:agree2:

Ya' got that right! How about spending big bucks on a Ruger 10/22 to shave "x" fraction of an inch off a 3-shot group! I'm afraid to purchase one because I'd never stop modding. :D

JQ

Very true! I run chainsaws for profit and not for fun. I sometime forget that not everyone thinks like I do.

No need to file the depth gauges here, due to new chain.
JQ

If you're just killing time, you might kick around the idea of doing the depth gages on new chain as well. I have noticed some chains with a lot of variation. Usually come @ .025" +/- .005. I put them @ .030 for the big saws, .025 for the smaller ones. I think it makes a difference.

P.S. I agree on sharpening new chain. File sharpened chain can be faster than new.

If you're just killing time, you might kick around the idea of doing the depth gages on new chain as well. I have noticed some chains with a lot of variation. Usually come @ .025" +/- .005. I put them @ .030 for the big saws, .025 for the smaller ones. I think it makes a difference.

P.S. I agree on sharpening new chain. File sharpened chain can be faster than new.

I agree with everthing you said, but can't in my skill grade improve on a sthil cutter. the rakers usually get a couple of swipes

I totally agree with the hand sharpening being faster. Speaking of money I get more firewood per chain if I only hand sharpen. The machines take to much off the chain longer chain life hand sharpening. Plus you got to keep in practice.Sharp chain easier on you and your equipment. Substantial money gain. LOL.:greenchainsaw:

There is no such thing as a 3-shot group with a 10/22 !

That's why they make those banana and drum clips. :cheers:
LOL, So true

chainsaws044.jpg

There is no such thing as a 3-shot group with a 10/22 !

That's why they make those banana and drum clips. :cheers:

Banana and drum clips?! I thought those were for mowing down pecker poles to get to the real trees. :greenchainsaw:
730.gif

LOL, So true

chainsaws044.jpg

See, they all call out, "Modify me, modify me!" Nice results, stihl sawing!
sthumb.gif

Last edited:
I can hand file adequately but for me, machine ground seems to stay sharp longer.
I can file a chain and it will cut like a beast for about 2 loads and then I notice a big decrease in sharpness.
A new or ground chain I can get several loads out of before I notice this.
Probably due to how I file though which is probably not the correct way.

Is WP 30RC the same as A-1 Carlton?

Carlton out of the box is a little 'blahh' , like if it spends it's life before you use it rubbing on it's self?

Personally, I would run it from the box till it needs it, but intresting thread! :cheers:

I'm not positive, but I believe the Woodland pro, is Carlton cutters on a Windsor chassis.

10/22 mods can be addicting...

attachment.php

Very pretty!

LOL, So true

chainsaws044.jpg

Hey SS thats one UGLY rifle! Its even got a barrel band lol

I have a stainless synthetic deluxe, Trigger down to 2 lbs minimum headspace bolt and i modded the bolt release to QR with a chainsaw file lol
1/2" groups at 50 yards with Win X subsonic HP (the only one it will cycle reliably) Put Tenex in it and the groups half!
Call me sad but theres a bipod and moderator on it:)

OK, I'll admit that I had some time on my hands (dangerous thing, I know)...

I wanted to see how my hand sharpening compared to new out-of-the-box chain. Here is the set-up:

I just received (from Bailey's) 2 boxes of WoodsmanPRO 30RC chain (re-badged Carlton Chain). The saw is a Husqvarna 385XP on a 24" Husqvarna bar. The project was a 20" pine to fall and cut up. I took one of the new chains (at random) and ran it through my typical sharpening process using a Save Edge file and a Carlton File-O-Plate. I ran 2 to 3 strokes per cutter. No need to file the depth gauges here, due to new chain. Then I replaced the hand-filed chain with new out-of-the-box WoodsmanPRO 30RC.

I dropped the tree with my Husqvarna 353 (20" bar) so that the chain on the 385XP would be pristine.

Once the tree was down, I jacked-up the base of the tree to give me room to work without too much fear of grounding the chain. I fired-up the 385 and made 3 cuts. I let my friend run 2 additional cuts. Then I changed to the new out-of-the-box chain with the Jonny Quest hand file tweak.

I first asked my friend to make 2 cuts. Then I made 4 additional cuts. When it was all completed, we both agreed that the new hand sharpened chain cut significantly faster than the new machine ground chain.

What is "significantly faster"? I estimate 10% to 15% faster. Granted, this was not very scientific and really a subjective test. No stopwatches involved, no allowance for trunk diameter as we moved up the tree. The test was seat-of-the-pants at best.

All that said, I will continue to hand file my "new" chain. Also, the Save Edge files are very nice.

JQ

No surprices there - that is how it is, specially with Carlton chain...

...and check the rakers as well, some Oregon chain I got had way too high ones.....

Latest posts

Back