Hand tools for fixing your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was disappointed in the selection of saw tools when I was searching for a few pieces.

Basically, Wiha, generic, or impact bits and I don't like using an impact on saws so I went with Wiha. Very good quality but it'd be nice for more options.

For working on Stihl chainsaws I like the t27 scrench that comes with the Kombi system. It's kinda like a
T handle on steroids.
The diameter of the shaft is too large for pulling cylinders, but it works great for everything else.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

For working on Stihl chainsaws I like the t27 scrench that comes with the Kombi system. It's kinda like a
T handle on steroids.
The diameter of the shaft is too large for pulling cylinders, but it works great for everything else.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
I have on of those it came with my fs110. Very handy.

Pittsburgh tool well known and been around a long time,
Well, as long as Harbor Freight has been in business.
And well known because,... well, just well known.

Cool, just never see them up here, we don`t have Harbor Freight up here, our closest outfitter in that category is Princess Auto.

Looking at any tools I buy & from a store not on line ( I like them in my hand although that's no measure of quality)but I look on the packing or ask what the warranty is I also consider how much use it will get occasional =cheaper will usually do the job but it's mostly down to what the end user fancies over 68 years of using hand tools from "crap"to the top quality Iv"e found mid range quality are usually up to working on saws & other light engineering tasks It's down to the end user If you can afford & want the top notch kit go for it although in my time Iv'e had lemons from the so called ultimate brands only advantage the y've been replaced under the lifetime warranty

Cool, just never see them up here, we don`t have Harbor Freight up here, our closest outfitter in that category is Princess Auto.

if you don’t have harbor freight there, then you probably don’t realize I was being satirical. Harbor freight has some good stuff for occasional use but also a lot of absolute garbage stuff that’s dirt cheap so buyer beware

if you don’t have harbor freight there, then you probably don’t realize I was being satirical. Harbor freight has some good stuff for occasional use but also a lot of absolute garbage stuff that’s dirt cheap so buyer beware
Over the years I have been turning wrenches I found Craftsman and Husky to be affordable mid range tools that were adequate for the occasional user,maybe not full time mechanics. Until recently Craftsman was sold here by Sears but sadly no longer, Sears sold out/liquidated and gone with the wind. Better tools like Blue Point, Gray Bonnie, Proto, Mac , Challenger, Armstrong and Snap On were always a priced a tad high for the occasional user, aimed more for the professional guys earning a living with them. The stuff sold at Princess Auto is ok gear for the most part,same deal you have to look it over closely,make your own decision as to if it will do the job and for how long.
I have to buy Whia and Bondhaus online as there are no local dealers I know of, couldn`t ask for better tools and have passed my torture tests...:)

I ended up ordering in a T27 in Wiha and a T25 in Wera, both x152mm (6"), I am assuming that the cylinder bolts are in the larger sizes for Husky and Stihl? That's why I ordered them in 6" length anyway.

Has anyone tried Wera out? They are German as well and from what I can find suppose to be right there with Wiha in quality.

After doing some reading on the feedback on the Dewalt impact driver (Dewalt changed something on the detent for holding in bits and it breaks real easy on the one I showed) I decided to go with a Porter Cable set with variable trigger instead. I use Dewalt everyday at work but I guess the little driver has something different than the full size impact. I had bought my son a set of Porter Cables a few years back never figuring they would take much torture, boy was I wrong there, I have put them through everything I put a Dewalt set through at work and they have taken it and still going strong.

This is the "ONLY" way to work on a saw efficiently!!!
View attachment 631135

100% agree with this. My makita impact driver can take apart the whole saw with just a few bits and sockets. I've never stripped any threads with it. Bought my t27 bits from sawagain, T-handles from ace which is craftsman brand and some hex head T handles from HD thats husky brand. I work on saws about 6 days a week and use this stuff regularly. I mainly work on huskies so my hex head sockets gets used a lot with my impact driver. HF brand lol. No issues after a year use.

Back