Hand Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabinman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought my cousin a hand truck for his birthday, last week to move firewood in , Its a great fire wood mover, You can move 4/5 large rounds, 8/10 in dia, at a time instead of 1 or two, Or a dozen or so split pieces, I made a little leg that folds down to keep it at a slight angle, when loading It works great for moving wood in, Its got the belt on the bottom and will go up the stairs with ease, T,C E,J,

I bought my cousin a hand truck for his birthday, last week to move firewood in , Its a great fire wood mover, You can move 4/5 large rounds, 8/10 in dia, at a time instead of 1 or two, Or a dozen or so split pieces, I made a little leg that folds down to keep it at a slight angle, when loading It works great for moving wood in, Its got the belt on the bottom and will go up the stairs with ease, T,C E,J,

LOL
I had to read THAT again :dizzy:
Thought you said "I made a little keg that folds down".
Hmm, began to think I was on to something.

:)

Yup! Use a hand truck all the time for hauling stove length, but not yet split, logs across home owners yards where I can not drive my truck.

I just a wood scrounge so it works great for 2-3 large logs that I could not possibly carry alone.

JD in PA

I use one of the "convertible" hand trucks that also will lay down on 4 wheels. Had to add a piece on what would be the bottom "shoe" if it was upright, similar to the one in czar's post, but much smaller. Works great in the basement to haul from the pile to the furnace. I used to use a two-wheel garden cart outside but I never really liked it. Too heavy, too bulky, and would flip over at the drop of a hat. I have a small portable winch, use that now to get things closer to the trailer.

I use a 2- wheeler with a trash can bungeed to it! That's from the back slab to the stove in the basement. Its cheap and it works!

My Mobile Wood Box

I made an open box using frame and panel construction that's 2' wide, 2' tall and 3' long (12 cu ft). The bottom is 3/4" stock for sturdiness and ruggedness. To keep the cart light, I did not use plywood for the sides. Frame and panel is much better.

I then mounted 4 swivel casters, each with 5" dia wheels, to the bottom. I roll this box right through the door and to the firewood pile on the back porch slab. Once filled, I roll it back through the door and to the stove for unloading. The only obstruction is the 5" high door sill leading to the porch slab, so I built an inclined ramp about 3' long and 3' wide that I roll the cart up on to clear the sill.

This box cart holds about three days of burning. Works like a charm and catches all the loose bark and chips. LOML appreciates that.

STLFirewood

Do you have any plans for those handtrucks? or a list of materials? or tips to making them? A friend and I want to make a couple.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

STLFirewood

Do you have any plans for those handtrucks? or a list of materials? or tips to making them? A friend and I want to make a couple.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

I don't have any plans but it is very simple. I bought the dolly at the local hardware store. It was around $30. I bought the metal at Home Depot. It's all that was open on a Sunday. You can get the meatl cheaper at a fab shop.
I cut the bottm supports about 16inches and welded them to the dolly tray. I cut the uprights about 36 inches and welded them upright. Connect the upright with a top cross brace. Put a cross brace in the middle of the uprights also. And put a cross brace at the bottom of the upright. I cut little gussets for the corners and welded them in. The Metal was around $20$25 at Home Depot. It's easy to make with a wire feed welder.

Scott

Another great use for a hand truck, if you get your firewood yourself from downed trees you find, or if someone has had a tree taken down and cut into big rounds... (and all of the afore mentioned are never laying in a spot you can park next to and easily load)... Use the hand truck to wheel the big pieces to your truck or trailer. I have been doing this for years with a Dayton hand truck with pnuematic tires that I got from Grainger Supply. I also got the steel extension plate that makes for a wider platform area to roll giant log rounds onto, or pile split firewood up to haul into the house. I found a firewood rack that they made to fit just for this hand truck...Grainger discontinued it, but I found it on the web from the company that made them. It holds alot of split firewood, a couple of woodstove days worth, you can bring in with one trip to the woodpile. You will be amazed at what you can handle by yourself with this set up. I have raised the eyebrows of a few pro tree fellers that have seen my son and I working a downed tree in somebody's back yard and running the big pieces out to our truck. The wide steel extension plate is also very useful for moving appliances and bulky items around too.

Yeah I burn a lot of cherry ( wild cherry ) it seems to be the most popular tree for fence rows and tree lines hear in Western pa. Cherry makes up about 75% to 80% of the wood i burn.

i had about a cord of it this year and it really burned great, very hot. not quit the burn time of of some other wood i came across(white oak) but i also found it to season pretty quick too. Would love to get my hands on some more

Vernon check out this post. There is a pic of the dolly I use. Is this what you want. If so it's very easy to make one.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=54560

Scott

Nice Scot,

Cool idea too. All of you guys using something like this are on the ball. I've been humping wood too the truck for way too long. I suppose the tires are the most importent part of making this work well? Bigger fatter is good, conserning the ability to move over rough ground? What I like is that it a trip saver too. I usually have to cut wood into manageable size and this would allow you too take a decent couple of logs at a go.:cheers: I'm gonna look for one!

Here's mine with a folding leg/support. Works great for hauling wood inside.
I only have 1 step up to the deck and 1 step up into the house.

Caz...good idea. I just want to be able to bring in twice that load at once. Any ideas?

Kevin, You could extend the bottom plate, but i think you'd find the load too heavy
to pull up steps.

Back