Handled ascenders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawn_penn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few references to handled ascenders being used for tree work. Are these the standard?

In deep caving, SRT is used normally as a "frog rig". One ascender between the sit harness and a (tight) chest harness, and one hand ascender linked to a foot loop. Handled ascenders are not seen. The best hand position on the ascender is perched on the top, so the handle is seen as redundant.

Do people find an advantage with handled ascenders in tree work?

two of the best additions to my climbing gear has been my handled ascender and my grapple...when i want to get to another tree from the one' i'm in, i tie off my clibing line in the tree i'm in, chuck my grapple onto a secure limb of target tree, tie onto my grapple line, then put my handled ascender onto my grapple line, and pull my way towards it, giving slack on my climbing line.... once there's significant tension in the grapple line from ascending towards it and the grapple's secure, descend on your climbing line, and zing you're into your next tree!

1I'dJak said:
two of the best additions to my climbing gear has been my handled ascender and my grapple...when i want to get to another tree from the one' i'm in, i tie off my clibing line in the tree i'm in, chuck my grapple onto a secure limb of target tree, tie onto my grapple line, then put my handled ascender onto my grapple line, and pull my way towards it, giving slack on my climbing line.... once there's significant tension in the grapple line from ascending towards it and the grapple's secure, descend on your climbing line, and zing you're into your next tree!

that sounds like fun and im sure you know what your doing, but when i bought my handled ascender i remember a picture showing horizontal movement as being bad, like crossing the streams of a proton pack if you know what i mean. also, i would worry about that grapple coming loose and either grappling my guts or sending me flying back from where i came. but, like i said, you probly know what your doing. im just playing scenarios in my head! :dizzy:

i could count the times i knew what i was doing on my thumb...yeah you definelty gotta watch for 'claw back' or the claw busting loose and swinging back to the tree... i was taught this while windfirming (limbing/topping forest trees exposed to winds due to logging) to mininize the climbs and compete with the helicopters that do the same thing...but it can work well,especially for trees to far for the swing and grab method..

Back