Handsaw neck injury 12-05-06 Warning, graphic pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageayape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I do not work in the tree care industry and I just recently found this board and found it to be very informative. I'm sure I will learn a lot here. Now to my topic... The photographs I'm attaching are of me following my careless use of a handsaw while trimming limbs so I could climb higher in a tree for deer hunting. I used a small folding handsaw which I keep in a sheath attached to my climbing tree stand so I can use it as I climb the tree to hunt. For safety reasons I always climb without my weapon (my bow this time). It was attached to a rope and laying at the bottom of the tree. After cutting the limb, I kept ahold of it so it would not land on my bow. It was a bit longer than most limbs which need to be trimmed in order to climb a tree for deer hunting and as a result, it was a bit awkward, so I grabbed it with both hands so I could throw it away from my tree and the bow. Unfortunately, I failed to put the saw away before throwing the limb. It was carelessness on my part and I'm embarrassed to admit I did it, but maybe seeing the results of one more unnecessary mistake will help prevent someone else from making a more costly one.

I didn't mean to attach the images a .bmp. I will re-attach them now (should be just a couple posts down)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely pictures

I am sorry that happened!! Those are some pretty cool pictures though and will be fun to show your grandchildren; if you make it through enough hunting seasons to see your grandkids. BE CAREFUL MAN!

The scarriest part to me was when I realized I had to climb 25 to 30 feet down the tree with my neck bleeding. You can't hold pressure on a wound when you need both hands to climb down.

Man, you're lucky that wound didn't spurt blood with every heartbeat.

Here's 5 and 8 converted to jpg so they are a little more dialup friendly.

better pics - easier to view

I appologize for making the first set of photographs .bmp. The pics below should be much easier to open.

Very graphic open wound pictures

Oh, my Gawd. Did the Doc mention that a few more millimeters deeper and you'd have been spurting with each heartbeat, like Haywood says. Had that been the case, you coulda bled out before you got to the ground.

I say that like you hadn't already considered it.

We're really glad you made it out. Sharing with us is a very valuable contribution, so thank you ....for.....putting your neck out there for us???

(Booo, my bad:) )

ouch, thanks for sharing

Yeah, thanks for sharing those, I think photos like that go a long way to remind us to beeee carrrefull! Glad you're o.k., looks like they stitched you up pretty well. I definitely respect that handsaw and am quick to reholster before I proceed to reposition, throw, whatever.

During a quiet night at home I recently jabbed the radial artery in my wrist cutting the shrink wrap off a package with my pocket knife. The hole was only as thin and long as a dime slot but a perfect jab into the artery which sent blood shooting into the ceiling and all over the kitchen before I could even get my other hand over it!

Good luck in your recovery...

you are one lucky fella!

that's why I hunt deer from the ground, stalking deer is how I get a shot.

a Silky woulda killed him!

:biggrinbounce2:

nice gash there Savage, reminds me of a friday night outside the pub up the street form me.

No, it wasn't a Silky. It was a typical Gerber folding handsaw marketed toward deer hunters. As I wrote in my first post, I'm new to this site. I never even heard of a Silky until after reading a few of your posts here. I may have to buy one of those, but I'll be sure to keep it away from my neck. :clap:

It happened at a special deer reduction hunt at a state park in Indiana. After answering some questions for the DNR and a Conservation Officer, I showed them the photographs. They were really surprised as well. I allowed them to download the pictures at their request. Maybe they'll use them in some hunter education courses.

Okie........ ! :eek: :laugh:

Im just trying to figure out how serious of a deer hunter he really is.

If I were out of town spending money for the hunt and it happened on the first day of several, I would have gone back. Maybe not up the tree, but I still would have been making a second attempt.

A trophy buck and a lifelong scar, now THATS a story.

(deer hunting trip - $500 ; 7" scar on the neck for trimming out a tree w/ handsaw = trip to ER - $2400; going back and killing trophy buck - PRICELESS)

Latest posts

Back