Harbor Freight 6.5 hp engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm...... yeah, parts are available... comes with a manual with parts break-down picture and 800-number to call for support and/or parts. But, at $99.oo, why would you spend time, energy and $$$s on repair... anything more than a spark plug, air filter and oil change would cost more than a replacement engine...

I've worn-out both both Honda and Kohler engines... yeah, good engines, but certainly not worth the extra $$$s for the fancy nameplate and paint... and they ain't cheap to repair either.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that any single cylinder engine, 20 HP or less, made in the last 30-years, is a throw-a-way regardless of who made it... We live in a throw-a-way world... when's the last time you've heard of anyone rebuilding a starter, or alternator, or... when's the last time you've heard of anyone even taking one apart... do you even know anyone who knows how to fix one? Heck, most of the time the parts and labor would cost twice the price of a new one. I can remember when engine overhauls were a common place thing... now-a-days we just short block, or long block everything, it's cheaper. The manufacturers don't even build em' to be overhauled anymore, when they're worn-out, they're junk.

These are throw a way engine for me, but mine has proven its self to be a reliable engine.

I wouldn't trade this engine for a Briggs.

I have my tractors starter rebuilt when they need it and getting ready to rebuild one for my Cummins and Kawasaki engine.

$89.99 until 5/15/11. Coupon # 57636490. I purchased 2 on line. Had to purchase them on separate orders to get the discount on both. About 10.00 shipping each. Will be installing one on my didier splitter I am cleaning up, and another on my 70's vintage Ariens snow thrower (presently 5 hp). Also purchased a third for a spare. Haven't run one of the as of yet. Just rolling the dice on these. Jim

To put one of these on a splitter, if I recall correctly, someone said a flywheel needs removed first. Am I remembering correctly? If so, what exact part needs taken of.

To put one of these on a splitter, if I recall correctly, someone said a flywheel needs removed first. Am I remembering correctly? If so, what exact part needs taken of.
Nope. If you need the pull-cord pointing back the other way, just undo the housing bolts, rotate the mechanism counter clockwise, and refasten the bolts. Piece of cake.

Mine now starts by pulling back, under the fuel tank, and away from the splitter's I-beam.

So, should I buy a back up engine for $90 this month and store it in the attic? This one looks like it will run forever. :cool2:

when's the last time you've heard of anyone rebuilding a starter, or alternator, or... when's the last time you've heard of anyone even taking one apart... do you even know anyone who knows how to fix one? Heck, most of the time the parts and labor would cost twice the price of a new one

The problem with not rebuilding the factory one, is the crap you replace it with is junk. Look how many people replace a parts store alternator or starter with a lifetime warranty. I'll rebuild it myself and know it will work.

I rebuild all my alternators, starters, and engines as I have time. Alternators are getting hard to get parts locally anymore. So I have big box of parts alternators, starters are a little easier to tell when they are going so I can have parts on the way.

At least I can order all my pieces to rebuild off the net.

I can't resist buying one of these even though I don't need it right now. Going to put it on e the shelf for future use on my leaf blower or splitter. You can't beat $90.

I have two of them. One on my 30 yr. old Ariens tiller, the other on an old Bush Hog brand splitter.

One in use for three years, the other for just two. Both have been flawless. I would buy another.

I have two of them. One on my 30 yr. old Ariens tiller, the other on an old Bush Hog brand splitter.

One in use for three years, the other for just two. Both have been flawless. I would buy another.

I bought one today. Paid $94 no sales tax in DE. I would like to find a tiller that needs a re-power on the cheap. That's what I want use it for if I can locate one.

Put one on the splitter last spring after reading about them on here.
Went and bought one yesterday, ordered pulley and mounted on ariens rear tine best move I could have made on this tiller and
have a Tecumseh:hmm3grin2orange: in loose hands

Well you all convinced me. Just ordered one online, $109 including tax and shipping. Will be using it to help reserect a 30+ year old home built splitter.

I don't know if y'all have noticed... but it looks as though Harbor Freight is doing a "closeout" sale on those "blue painted" engines. Appears they're gonna' be replaced by a "black painted" engine, with a few design changes and no longer rated in horsepower... just rated by CCs... Hmmmmmm........

i replaced the honda 5hp on my splitter with this motor and its 10x the motor the honda was. ive had it on there prolly 2 years now and its like it was when i first got it. for the record the honda was new when i got it aswell.

i sold the honda for 100 or 125 on craigslist i forget exactly and it paid for the hf engine.

it required a little fab work to fit on my splitter as the exhaust is on the opposite side. but it was well worht the effort.

I installed the engine today and it fired right up. Everything worked like it should. The 2 squirrels that hade made a home in the underside of my conveyor didn't fare so well.

Scott

I don't know if y'all have noticed... but it looks as though Harbor Freight is doing a "closeout" sale on those "blue painted" engines. Appears they're gonna' be replaced by a "black painted" engine, with a few design changes and no longer rated in horsepower... just rated by CCs... Hmmmmmm........

Curious to know where you read this?

I installed the engine today and it fired right up. Everything worked like it should. The 2 squirrels that hade made a home in the underside of my conveyor didn't fare so well.

Scott
One thing I noticed about this engine, Scott, is that if it ever quits while running, you still usually need to choke it to restart it. Not sure why, but that always works in my case. Every other engine that I run behaves differently and never needs a choke while warm. This one does. :popcorn:

Just thought I'd throw that marble on the table. Someone may be able to explain it.

Sounds to me like the carb needs to be cleaned...thats where i would start...but then again at that price why bother?

I just found out there is a store local...gonna go check it out for a small engine for the conveyor....:clap:

One thing I noticed about this engine, Scott, is that if it ever quits while running, you still usually need to choke it to restart it. Not sure why, but that always works in my case. Every other engine that I run behaves differently and never needs a choke while warm. This one does. :popcorn:

Just thought I'd throw that marble on the table. Someone may be able to explain it.

Carb needs cleaned or if it has done it since new it probably has a slightly undersized main jet. I have a little honda engine on a pressure washer. It always started hard cold and surged. The plug would be bright white! I left some gas in it one winter and it wouldn't run at all come springtime. I measured the jet in the (non-adjustable) carb and it was slightly undersized. I drilled it to slightly larger than what it was supposed to be and now it runs like a champ. It starts on the first pull when cold with the choke on and no choke needed after it warms up. The plug is a nice tan color.

Great!! Now you guys are gonna make me spend money! I HAVE to get some from Harbor Freight now! My local one is only about 8 miles away to! Anyone else have any issues with metal flake in the oil from the block not being cleaned properly?
Rich

Curious to know where you read this?

Well, it's more of an assumption.
I recently received one of those "e-mail fliers" with coupons from Harbor Freight. One of the coupons was for the 6.5 ($95.99) and the picture of the engine had big red letters stating, "CLEARANCE", across the top.

So I go to the Harbor Freight web site and check out the engine page. They still show all the "blue" Greyhound engines but also show a line of "black" Predator engines with an expected availability of May 2011. The "black" Predator line pretty much mirrors the "blue" Greyhound line in size and shaft configuration. I did notice that the new "black" 11 HP isn't electric start like the "blue" Greyhound.

If you look real close at the pictures the "black" Predators look an awful much like an updated version of the "blue" Greyhounds...

Back