Harbor Freight sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HF Grinder

Here goes! If you guys think the Harbor Freight grinder does a decent job I have news for you. It doesn't. The fact that you think it does tells me that you don't know what a sharp chain can do, because in reality you have never seen one. I have a HF grinder and 5 other electric grinders too. The HF critical angles can't be adjusted so it can't possibly do an acceptable sharpening job, if you know what a Silvey or Simington will do on chisel chain. I have people come 50 miles for me to sharpen, driving by several saw shops on their route, because my sharpened chains will outcut theirs by as much as 3 to 1.

I have a HF sharpener and it works decent (please don't make fun of me) I have about thirty saws and use the sharpener at least once a week. Its not as good as my neighbor's Oregon... But it does alright. If you are an inside track club member you can get then on sale for $25. Buy two more wheels and a 1 yr warranty for $40 out the door. At $5 a chain it won't take you long to earn your money back... Save it up and buy a nice one :)

I may not know what a sharp chain is, but apparently none of my redneck neighbors down here in Georgia know either. I do a lot of volunteer work with the locals and also with the GA Baptist Disaster Relief units. Apparently my dull chains and poor sharpening skills have earned a reputation since all my neighbors, the local farmers, and my fellow disaster relief volunteers all ask me to sharpen their chains.

I know everyone claims their hand filing is superior to grinding, but is it really. I used to hand file, but not anymore. I use a 12v rotary tool with angle guage from Tractor Supply to touch up chains on the saw after each tank of gas. I use my battery booster pack as a power supply and it is convenient on the tailgate of my truck as a workbench with a bungie cord for a vice. It works just as well connected to the battery of my 4 wheeler with the front rack as a workbench and another bungie cord for a vice.

After we come back from a disaster site or whenever I feel the need, I take the chains off all the saws on the unit, all the spare chains that have been used or got wrecked, all the chains someone has given me to sharpen, and all my used chains and even them up with my Harbor Freight $19.99 bench grinder. Yes it is plastic, and flimsy, and not terribly precise, and requires some adjusting or modifying, and it also requires some brain power and common sense to be sure it is doing a good job. But it sharpens just fine and sets the depth rakers just fine too.

They may not be very sharp, but they cut just fine for me and apparently well enough that others wish theirs would do as well. I know they cut better that the ones I used to take to the local Stihl shop to get evened up, and half of the tooth is not ground away in the process.

Would I like to have a better unit? Sure. Could I do a better job with a more expensive unit? Maybe. Do I think the difference in sharpness would be worth the additional expenditure? Not no, but @#!$ NO! Maybe if I was saw racing I might think different, but for cutting down, limbing, and cutting up trees, it works just fine.

Last edited:
Upgraded?

Word has it that HF has upgraded or is at least now offering a better quality saw chain sharpener. Price is about $40. I haven't seen it operate, but I though best to at least call it to the forum's attention. It might be worth examining for occasional sharpeners.

Last edited:
Probably just different price depending on whether it is on sale this month or not, but I'll check it out to see next time I'm in there. Thanks for the info.

Probably just different price depending on whether it is on sale this month or not, but I'll check it out to see next time I'm in there. Thanks for the info.
Well, at least the pull-down handle look different. So does the guide holding the chain and the advancement lever.

However, I imagine the plastic construction is all the same. Get the Oregon 511a and don't look back. It works, but you will have to bite the bullet and pay ten times more money. Italian engineering is expensive. USA engineering is no longer available.

The March 2012 Popular Mechanics Magazine just arrived at my home today, February 14th. It's titled 110 Best Tips Ever in gold ink.

On page 106 of my magazine, it has a Harbor Freight ad with various tools on sale. At the bottom of the ad is the Chicago Electric chain saw sharpener. They are calling it a super coupon. The sale price is $29.99.

Additionally there is a 20% off coupon in the same ad. The cashier isn't supposed to apply the coupon to anything else found on the ad. But there have been times when they let it slide and apply the discount. If so, you can get the sharpner for $23.

I bought a HF Grinder back a couple of years ago.Well it sucked so bad it broke in half when I put the last screw through the base.It left the motor?grinder part just dangling back a forth.I unbolted it and threw it in the floor with the rest of my Junk.:laugh: I wasn't about to return it and waste gas for another 100 mile round trip.:angry:

That's true, but...

i was watching some guy cut up some logs and he was throwing some huge chips. i asked him what type of chain he had on there and he said he didn't know.

when i mentioned the chips, he said he sharpens his chains with a HF sharpener and he swears by it. said he is now doing chains for all his friends and neighbors.

maybe the newer models have been improved?
Yes, the HF sharpener has been improved and you can still buy one on specials for less than $40. However, it is not a professional piece of sharpening equipment. Keep that in mind.

Sharpening a few chains for yourself and some friends in order to save them from the landfill? By all means this should do it for you at a reasonable cost. But, don't ask it to set up a business for you.

Latest posts

Back