Harbor Frieght engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody put a HF engine on their splitter ? If so has it been running for any length of time.I see coupon deals for my local HF on the 13 HP engine and have been s-l-o-w-l-y coming up with a plan for a new splitter with log lift,adjustable 4 way wedge and table.The engine looks like a good deal if it is decent enough.

I installed a 6.5 HP engine on my 30 year old splitter 2 years ago.It is a HF engine,starts and runs fine!Can't beat the price $119.00.Good Luck!!

I have their 11hp on a splitter.
About 300 cords+,for the $259 i paid if it dies i will toss it and get another in a heartbeat!
They are good on gas and start right up.
If Briggs/Stratton could make a engine that would last I would buy one.
Kohler,Honda,Robin(subaru),engines are also great engines.If you have the $ to buy one.
I use my HF 11hp daily change the oil and clean the air filter regularly.
Put your engine up high if your still in the building phase.(less dirt and small micro wood chips will plug up your air filter)
Mark

I agree with NJChris. We vote everyday we put down a dollar on something. Saying that, the last engine I bought was a Honda GX 200. I went to a small father/son Kubota dealer rather than a box store. They can not compete on price, and the box stores can not compete on service. What do you do when more and more of the little guys close up shop?

China Freight err.......Harbor Freight.

Every china made product we buy is another nail in USA's coffin.

so...why is it that a motor made in china is less than half the price of one made in the US?

Quality is above average for an HF item. I have several and have had no issues with any of them. They are a good buy even at the regular price but are regularly on sale if you dont need it today. I have paid as little as $85 for the 6.5 and just bought a 13HP for about $260.

so...why is it that a motor made in china is less than half the price of one made in the US?

labor rates they pay and the bulk of material to process we give them. i used to work for a bearing company and saw first hand the pain it caused a small company. you could buy bearings from china for less than we could buy just the raw material, forget paying for the machines and anyone to run them.

have you ever read about how much they pay there people over there?

now granted amareican companies sure can get top heavy and blow tons of money on excess with yacts and crap but this wasent the case at all in the small company i worked for.

to get back to the original question my father-in-law owns a small place like chuck-e-cheese with go carts. he puts the harbor freight engines on the carts now, they run right with the hondas and hold up for years of abuse.

MGA. Part is wages/benefits of workers (production, transportation); part government regulations (example, pollution control, soc. sec. taxes); part is initial product design costs (the cost of research and development as opposed to copycat production... as in pharmacy drugs/generics). I'm not criticizing anyone for what they buy. There are short term benefits, and long term consequences.

MGA. Part is wages/benefits of workers (production, transportation); part government regulations (example, pollution control, soc. sec. taxes); part is initial product design costs (the cost of research and development as opposed to copycat production... as in pharmacy drugs/generics). I'm not criticizing anyone for what they buy. There are short term benefits, and long term consequences.

excellent points, the cost to research and develope a product is not an insugnificant cost compaired to copy catting a design. i should know i work in R&D......

I was looking at these to replace the Briggs that is on my splitter. Tired of messing with the Briggs all the time. When I looked at the HF engines, the site said use only on mowers, won't hold up on other equipment. Am I looking at the same engines you guys are talking about? Thanks

yup my FIL is using the ones he is picking up for about 100 and dropping them in and sending them to work. are they equal to a honda no, they have rougher castings and cheaper/thinner stamped metal linkages but they do run. not sure you can get parts for them, i think you are stepping into the throw-away zone if anything much more than a bolt or spring is needed.

I bought an 11hp elec. start so I could use a winch/boom to lift the heavy pcs on the splitter. I went thru 2 briggs motors (5 hp) on this same splitter. This HF 11 hp. just sits there a little above idle and never misses a beat. It will not bog down even when taking the pump to bypass. It acts as if it will last forever. If it don't, I'll probably get another HF.
If doing business w/China is good enough for our government, its good enough for me.

China Freight err.......Harbor Freight.

Every china made product we buy is another nail in USA's coffin.

Every democratic vote is a nail in the USA's coffin! Damn lazy liberal ****... Seems like our motto in USA is if we can outsource it we will. If we can sue at the drop of a hat and make all these stupid rules as we go we can! It's all rules and regulations to keep our United States GREEN. We have to save the deer in the woods. :bowdown: Thanks Obamalamadingdong

Those engines are pretty much honda clones. From my understanding is that you can get honda parts to work on them if needed.

I used one as a replacment on a troy-bilt tiller. Been very happy with it so far.

IMG_0902.jpg

Of course I use China made stuff,impossible not to. But I search high n low to buy American if I can, and will pay more for it if need be.

Good Engine--Best Buy

I installed a 6.5 HP engine on my 30 year old splitter 2 years ago. It is a HF engine,starts and runs fine! Can't beat the price $119.00.Good Luck!!
+1. Same engine runs mine. Works like a charm with plenty of power. With a 20% discount coupon, she's yours for less than $100.

Changed oil twice. It starts on the first pull in warm weather and the second pull in cold weather. All you have to do is choke it for a start with the throttle at half setting. I have no complaints.

I only wish that we could make an engine like this in the USA for that price. I guess that wish will never come true.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back