Harbor Frieght engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
China Freight err.......Harbor Freight.

Every china made product we buy is another nail in USA's coffin.

Locations
Although Briggs & Stratton products are designed, manufactured, marketed and serviced in over 100 countries on six continents, we also have 10 facilities in the United States, 5 facilities outside of the United States, and two joint ventures in Japan. We pride ourselves on being a global partner

Taken from their web site. IIRC there engines or at least part of them are made in China now. If you think you are buying only USA made 100% of the time I have some beach side property in TN I want to sell. :blob2:

I agree, we don't need any help to kill America, we're doing a fine job of it ourselves.
Everyone here wants high wages, but no one will buy the stuff to sustain them.

At the rate we're going it'll take a weeks pay to buy one of those $100.00 engines.

I got almost four years use out of one on a 2" water pump that is run extensively April thru Sept of each year. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I tore it down to save for parts and the internals are every bit as nice as any Honda I've been into. They usually start on the first pull and are tough little engines. If the impeller hadn't broke on the pump I'd slapped another engine on and just kept going. I'm just looking for HF to run a sale on the pump again.

The attitude of some americans is sickening. Save a buck and twist the knife a little deeper in the back of the working man.

Then claim audaciously that everything is made in China all we have to do is quit buying it and our economy will start turning around tomorow!

The attitude of some americans is sickening. Save a buck and twist the knife a little deeper in the back of the working man.

Then claim audaciously that everything is made in China all we have to do is quit buying it and our economy will start turning around tomorow!

If it was only that easy.

I try to buy American and I try to buy local ( mom and pop shops and roadside produce.) but when you are trying to strech a buck and the cost of everything is going up but my paycheck its hard to only buy american and stay out of wally world.

Thanks for the input.Looks like HF it will be.A little off topic here.Why did GM go belly up if they have had almost a 50 year jump start on the Jap cars ? Too much upper management frills and way to much $$$$$$$$.Plus why do the Jap engines just seem to run and run.You would think the US car makers would be cutting edge above the Jap cars.We should be priding ourselves at building high quality but sometimes it just is not there anymore.

Thanks for the input.Looks like HF it will be.A little off topic here.Why did GM go belly up if they have had almost a 50 year jump start on the Jap cars ? Too much upper management frills and way to much $$$$$$$$.Plus why do the Jap engines just seem to run and run.You would think the US car makers would be cutting edge above the Jap cars.We should be priding ourselves at building high quality but sometimes it just is not there anymore.

Once I was talking to a engineer from Japan and asked him where they get the ideas for the quality products they make. He laughed and said from the ideas come from the USA, but "we just perfect it".

My wife use to live and work in Japan when she was younger. As a elementary school teacher here in the US before moving there for a few years she compared our schools with theirs. She said math is very important in Japan compared to the US. The math homework in Japan was pages and pages every day to drill the concept into the students. Where back here, students are only given a few equations and then move on. Japanese culture favors men working over women. Many companies mandate the male worker be married to a non-working women. So its her duty to take care of the family matters so the husband full attention is focused on working.

You can't blame the Chinese for the stuff that they make, after all, they have to eat too. The blame for the cheap stuff that gets imported here is on the greed of American corporations and the government for letting it happen, ie, not imposing the same import taxes that other countries have.

About the time that AMF bought Harley Davidson and started making them in Japan, there was a saying going around, "Buy American, the job you save may be your own." That is more true today than ever before.

I have worked in manufacturing for well more than 20 years and lost the best job I ever had due to NAFTA. I still work in manufacturing and have lost my particular job where I work twice in the last two years to the parts that I ran being outsourced to China and India, and I work for an American company. Luckily, I have enough skills that I have just been moved to another area of the plant running other equipment. The only reason that the jobs go over seas is because of cheaper labor and cheaper labor equals higher profits for the American corporations.

I try to seek out and buy American and mostly local when I can. I have seen a big swing, especially in rural areas, to buy local in the last several years. I think we need to get back to the way it was years ago when people were more community based. The guys that own the local farm supply, that is also the hardware store, home improvement store, outdoor power equipment store, etc., etc., the guy that owns the local grocery store, the people that own the local convenience stores, all live in the area. We all see each other at the grocery store and gas pumps and everybody knows everybody's names. Most everybody around here makes an effort to buy local because it's supporting your neighbor. Most people around here have some type of side business of their own even if they aren't totally self employed and these business owners help them out the same way. People need to get back to looking out for their neighbors instead of being all wrapped up in the "ME" syndrome. It would take a while and will take a while, but things can be turned around.

It's all about greed.

I do not work for a union or gov but for myself so I need the most bang for my "buck". I will buy "American" if the quality is there and price is reasonable. But I will not waste money on "its patriotic to buy USA" GM is a prime example, build a crappy overpriced product and take gov money to pay off unions instead of survival of the fittest.
Enough rant, I have had great luck with HF from engines to tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris

Yes
But a larger issue we should worry about.
China just bought a big piece of General Motors from the interest we paid them on the money they loaned us
The interest on our national dept!

Well, I don't think this was ever intended to be a political thread. There are lots of those elsewhere at this website. Therefore, let's just respect our members' freedom to buy any product that might work OK for us and allow other members to report their experiences with it.

My experience after two years has been positive with this engine and it was inexpensive, irrespective of who built it. I didn't buy the engine. Somebody else did. I'm not advertising, but I don't think I should remove Stihl and McCulloch from my signature either. Or, should I after reading some of the posts on this thread?

Am I pounding nails into an American coffin by buying and operating a chainsaw that was made in Germany? :bang:

Latest posts

Back