Harbor Fright parts washer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone own the 3.5 gallon HF parts washer? It looks like a good deal for $40.00 and just the right size for saw parts. I don't like to buy Chinese stuff but I don't know of anything like it not made there.

Wondering if it is an OK unit before I waste a 40 mile trip to go look at one.

I bought the 20 gallon "Tool Shop" parts washer from Menards for $69 earlier this year. I would not want one any smaller unless I was only going to use it for carburetors or other small items. I am sure this was made in the same or a similar factory in China as the HF unit. I went ahead and bought a spare pump on a later trip to Menards (we have a Menards card and my wife dutifully pays the bill each month without asking too many questions).

Filling it with 10 gallons of mineral spirits cost more than the parts washer price, about $80 I think for two 5 gallon containers.

If I were doing it again I might start out with the purple stuff and water, I may do that in the future.

Anyone have advice for mineral spirits vs. purple power?

Mark

attachment.php

20 gallon parts washer in the shop

attachment.php

The 066 in the process of getting cleaned up in the aformentioned parts washer

That is a really nice looking unit, and the price seems right. We don't have a Menards here though, only HF for cheap Chinatools.

I think though that unit is larger than I can really accomodate in my workshop.

Newby here, ASE auto, not chainsaw mechanic. The only thing I would personally do with the China tanks would be upgrading the pump, they're dribbler's compared to real solvent tanks. Little Giant sells a solvent specific submersible pump that should really upgrade the flow, but it might be a bit much for a small tank. There is a problem with bacteria build up and other nasties when using water based cleaners. There are filter bags that companies like Safety-Kleen use to recycle the solvent, takes most of the crud out. Don't know if they would sell to someone outside their customer base though. I'm probably going to rig one out of pvc and paper towel rolls. Might be slow, but should take out all the small micron abrasives that ruin four and two stroke stuff. Have fun, I'm spoiled, mine is a 40gal. tank, I need flow for all that grunge on the cars everyone drives.:newbie:

I've got the ?20? gal from HF and love it. Only thing I did was put a ball valve on the output to slow the solvent down to a dribble while I'm scrubbing. I run Diesel in mine, had the purple stuff that was water based and it was useless unless you just wanted to remove a little dirt then leave an oil film on the parts. The lid on mine seals good and you can't smell the Diesel at all and mine's in the basement.

By the way Wasajco, when I change mine I run it through a strainer for the big stuff then a paint filter for the little stuff. Once it's reasonably clean I dump it into the pickup, smokes a bit:biggrinbounce2: but why waste it?

I have a 20 gal tank setup with Simple Green and it has no problem cutting grease and grime off my saws. Nice that it rinses clean with water too.

Interesting ideas running different cleaners through the parts washer! I have like a 35 gal. Safety-Kleen setup at work I use most but at home I use Simple green in a spray bottle and scrub brush. I cleaned both my 272's that were nasty when I got them and the Simple Green made it easy! Prolly works excellent in the parts washer!

I have a small chinese parts washer and it works good for what I use it for, but I did have to wire a small piece of cloth rag around the nozzle because its like a fire hose without it there..

if I used it for anything bigger or more frequently I would go with a bigger one.

at work though we have a high pressure high temp washer with straight water in it and that thing is awesome. throw the dirty greasy parts in, go have a coffee, come back and they are clean as a whistle... but HOT!!

Not the answer to the question but i bought the small one from NAPA and it too has too much pressure. I put a 3/8 rubber hose on it and solved the problem.

Thanks, you guys!
Now I am experiencing 'parts washer envy'.
This is the result of spending too much time scrubbing greasy parts with a brush in paint thinner with a five gallon bucket as a sump!

Yes, my chicom 20 gallon POS has too much pressure...

The washers are cheap - the natptha based solvent will set you back $50-60 per 5 gallons, and you need 10+ just to get the pump submerged. Good news - it last for years...

Tip (which I need to do) - put a piece of astro-turf or nylon carpet on the bottom -it makes is dead easy to remove the layer of crud that will build up...

Back