Hard hats, worth their weight in gold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

priest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In the heat of hurricane aftermath the two to three week window for fast money makes one lose sight of the little things. Today our wallets got ahead of common sense and almost cost us the game. PPE is something my boss and I try to live by, but hardhats seem to take a back seat when there are no overhead cuts taking place. This morning we started a large job which included taking a large tree off of a house. Since the home owner was going to be out of town, he asked us to tarp his roof when we had the tree off. One of our newest hand was left by himself to pack up the equipment and put the finishing touches on the tarp job. (Earlier in the week the boss had stressed the importance of hard hats for the look of professionalism and safety. However as mentioned hard hats seem useless when not doing work overhead.) Since we don't usually tarp roofs we don't carry the best tools for the job and all we had was a claw hammer and a 4 pound sledge.
Twenty minutes after I left the job sight I got a call from my boss telling me that our hand had dropped a hammer on his head from the top of our 18 foot ladder and to get over there ASAP. Luckily the job I had moved to was yard cleanup for a local surgeon and he gladly followed me to the sight. On the way over I feared the worst from the deadly sledge and upon arrival I found the groundsman setting on the porch with his face covered in blood. Fortunately the surgeon inspected him and found no major neurological problems and our man only needed stitches. The groundsman went on to say that it was the claw hammer and not the sledge that had dislodged and struck him. The surgeon was satisfied with stitches however the paramedics that arrived started using deal-breaker terms like ambulance ride and cat scan. Well to make a long story shorter they don't intend to bill us because we are working in a disaster area. Our man is clear for work tomorrow and hopefully we will all learn from this. Even though the good jobs come hard and fast a brush with death or dismemberment makes one realize that no one life has a dollar value not to mention disabling emergency's can cripple your whole operation. Where that ppe and tell your employees to do it or hit the road.

???? lucky that it was not any worse with the injury no matter what the situation is you should always wear head protection if it is good enough to protect the rest of your body while in the work place then it is good enough to protect your head. I don't mean to sound abrupt or rude but when it comes to safety I take that very seriously and I refuse to work without the right P.P.E that includes poorly maintained P.P.E

priest said:
Twenty minutes after I left the job sight I got a call from my boss telling me that our hand had dropped a hammer on his head from the top of our 18 foot ladder and to get over there ASAP.

I saw the same thing happen this summer. A man was doing some house renovations for me...his 17 yr. old son was helping out with installing siding. The son laid his claw hammer on the top ladder rung, went down to move the ladder and the hammer fell on him from about 15 feet. It stunned him, cut his head (he got stitches, too), trip to ER, CAT scan, 2 days no work...a very lucky kid.

I almost never see house builders/renovators wear PPE but it sure would have helped George...so would good safety procedures.

I always wear mine....and have one "save" to show for it. I was on the ground while my boss was up a large sugar maple pruning. Some of the branches became hung up so I was using the pole pruner to free them. The whole site was under about three feet of snow so I was floundering about as well..... Tugged hard on one which came free as desired however another branch also came free unexpectedly and really beaned me on my lid, in fact knocked me flat into the snow. Not a scratch, but without the hardhat I am sure I would have at least had a severe headache. Hardhats are not always the most convenient things to perch on top of a touque on a cold day which this was, but I was sure glad I had mine on, as usual.
It is my casual observation that standards in the USA are not as stringent as here for eg or elsewhere, or if they are, are not enforced. Get injured here on a job site and you will be screwed for comp if you were not wearing the mandated PPE. You can also really piss of the bigwigs as well as I have seen whole jobsites shut down for safety violations involving PPE, though I am sure that was a repeat offense. I saw Habitat for Humanity assembling houses for hurrican victims in Rockefeller Plaza on the Today Show yesterday, and most people were in jeans and tennis shoes. I saw ONE hardhat, no safety glasses, etc. I know for a fact that if you want to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity here you have to show up with both a hardhat and safety shoes or boots. Or you can volunteer off the job site, but you do not work without PPE, even as a volunteer. An inexpensive hardhat and approved footwear would be about $50.
Must be the soldier in me, but wearing PPE and serviceable appropriate clothing makes the worker look more professional IMHO. Nothing worse seeing someone in shorts, sneakers and a wife beater shirt at work. Or someone wearing rags, wornout boots etc that should have been trashed months prior. I worked with a climber that flaunted both common sense and PPE regs, smoked dope before ascending etc, mind you he was the one that spent six weeks in the hospital the year before after a nasty and totally preventable(in his words, not mine) fall. Accident waiting to happen.

I see tree crews and lanscape crews, in PPE violation, knowing that the boss is too cheap, too ignorant or just doesn't care enough about his employees (or self) to buy and enforce the use of PPE. Especially the Mexican crews. It's as if the boss views their lives as dispensible and puts his profits first. I think of these hardworking men whose hearing will begin a consistent decline early in their life because they have a boss that just doesn't care. It makes me sad.

Was a some Arbormaster training this week and we had a small dead stub fall from a tree and bouce off of two hard hats, I dont think we even started to work on the tree before it decided to fall, could have been bad if they did not have their lids on.

Tree Machine said:
I see tree crews and lanscape crews, in PPE violation, knowing that the boss is too cheap, too ignorant or just doesn't care enough about his employees (or self) to buy and enforce the use of PPE. Especially the Mexican crews. It's as if the boss views their lives as dispensible and puts his profits first. I think of these hardworking men whose hearing will begin a consistent decline early in their life because they have a boss that just doesn't care. It makes me sad.

Where this really chaps me is watching shows on HGTV when they are doing some sort of tree work and no one has on the PPE. Ive always wanted to write in and complain that if they are going to show the work being done, at least (very least) make sure the companies are doing the work to standard. Even if its only for the show.

Priest,
Good to hear your man was OK.

A good friend of mine is a carpenter. I've helped him with some jobs at his place. One time I set my hammer on the ladder instead of putting it back onto my belt clip. He jumped all over me and made me buy coffee. That's how they "fine" the rookie carpenters :).

Tree Machine that is a darn good reminder on WHY you should wear the lid. there is a local stihl dealer where I live in new zealand and has a smashed hardhat on display with a sign above it saying "Tell me now that you don't need a hardhat".Infact the forestry course I am participating in if you are caught by the tutor not wearing or using your PPE properly you are designated to all the dreaded jobs like dragging branches or splitting up all the wood after they have been cut up. you get that punishment for a week and guaranteed no one forgets to wear and correctly use thier PPE I got done just for forgetting to flip my visor down while using the chainsaw

The way I see it, and from personal experience, a hard hat is indeed a blessing....

Last edited:
during my youth i never liked wearing a HH, sometimes i was forced to :)
but 6 years in the US Navy and now i rarely even get out of the truck without glasses, hard hat, gloves, and hearing pro. I honestly, really like PPE since i made it a part of my routine. i don't get all those little cuts and scrapes on the top of my hands, no sticks in the eye, and i haven't banged the heck out of my head on the chipper chute in years.

On crane jobs i have noticed alot of dead wood being dislodged from the trees by the crane. i purchased a jacket with kevlar in the sleeves and collar to help buffer me from falling sticks. I like the jacket, but the protection level is pretty minimal. Has anyone tried lacross pads? i see them in the store occasionally, and think 'wow, that would sure save me a broken colar bone or shoulder.'

They would look a little funny, the ground crew would get a good chuckle, but i don't much care if they work. I'm just not sure i could climb in them, and they cost between 60 us$ and 160 us$.

Any opinions?

Baffles me to see this even come up. The whole time I have ever worked with a saw or in heavy construction (20 years+) I have worn a hardhat. Same with steeltoed boots (except for falling). Pretty well all the guys that run saws here in B.C., fallers, buckers, arborists, utility arborists etc. wear the hardhat with the earmuffs and facescreen that attach to it. What you do at work is another story but at least protect your head, eyes and ears.

I used to hate wearing those brain boilers. But one day I had it on (only because the boss inisted). I cut a small limb off or so I thought. When I cut it I saw the top of it that screwed up and over my head as it knocked some sense into me. It took a big gouge out of my helmet. It would have really tore my head open. Ever since then I wear my brain boiler.

kf_tree said:

I have one just like it, bought it a month ago paid £65, with discount. The husqvarna ear defenders are great but the visor stick sticks out really far, my helmet has the stihl ear defenders and visor, a little more 'streamlined'. It's going to be nice when I get it back to Bermuda, white with lost of nice big vent holes. BTW the holes have a little sliding bit of plastic so you can close them over in case of rain! It's lighter than the petzl ecrin roc too. :cool:

Latest posts

Back