hard maple/ soft maple???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is silver the only maple thats gets the helicopters?

No they all do. The silvers are bigger than most so they more noticeable.

Some other trees like white ash get them too but they are a little different looking than maple ones.

No they all do. The silvers are bigger than most so they more noticeable.

Some other trees like white ash get them too but they are a little different looking than maple ones.

yeah -- reds are dinkey little ones, maybe 1/2 long. Silvers are big and aerodynamic - loved them as a kid. Norways are big too but they are conjoined 'copters - 2 stuck together at the butt end,

Bockselder are easy to ID - they're the ones coptering upwards against the wind to plant themselves in the fertile fencerows of NWWI

I really like the National Audobon Society's Field Guide to trees book. Amazon.com: National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region (9780394507606): NATIONAL AUDUBON SOCIETY: Books

It helps me alot because I suck at Id'ing by the bark. I can pick out Paper Birch, Popple, Norway pine, and......tree.:laugh:

Best way to id if possible is by leaves.

Sugar Maple
leaf-sugar-maple-pastel.jpg

Silver Maple
220px-Silver_maple_leaf.jpg

My immediate woods consist of 75% Sugar Maple and then the rest Basswood, Popple, and White Ash with some conifers.

Since Box Elder was mentioned, here's some pictures I took a few weeks ago from cutting that I found neat because I had never seen wood like this before.

15eb312d.jpg

db020a1e.jpg

6174e9b9.jpg

Latest posts

Back