Hardest Part Of Tree Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchux

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys would say is the hardest part of doing tree work.

Dragging brush? Humpin logs? Swinging tops?

For me I'd have to say dealing with the heat.

What makes you the most miserable?

Seems like we have been running into alot more bees, hornets and poison ivy lately. Also I am getting tired of seeing so many dead ash trees. It seems like all we ever do lately is dead ash removal. Why does everybody wait till there tree is about ready to fall before calling to have it taken down.

Finding newbies and getting them to show up for work.

On my end . . . dealing with bills, maintenance, and employee issues.
(two fridays ago I had an employee crash our chip truck into a van, that weekend he was moving to a new apartment . . . since the accident I haven't seen or heard from him - no new address and no phone)

On the workers' end . . . heat and 11+hr days
(and now humping wood since I don't have an extra driver to haul the tractor)

I'd say pruning large, mature to overmature wide-spreading trees without a central leader to tie into like White Oaks without hooks or a bucket. Deadwooding tips way out with a pole saw after you've already tightroped out your limit -- is excruciatingly hard work.

Chucky said:
I'd say pruning large, mature to overmature wide-spreading trees without a central leader to tie into like White Oaks without hooks or a bucket. Deadwooding tips way out with a pole saw after you've already tightroped out your limit -- is excruciatingly hard work.

Man, you just described heaven for me. Double crotching, redirecting, leaning and swinging and reaching, o yea. Hard yes but O so much fun. The hardest part of tree work for me is telling a tree owner that the builder killed their tree, when there's nothing they can do about it.

For me, the hardest part is when a customer has his own (wrong) ideas about what his trees need, and trying to stop us from just going around and around without coming up with a plan. Argle!

POLE PRUNING !!

The overhead pole saw work for several hours straight, is hardest for me.

All else, can be dealt with. If a pile is too big - cut it in half. If a chunk is too big, slice it in half. Too much brush, hire an extra temp.

The pole saw work never quite seems to ease-up the same way.

It probably differs for each of us, depending on how they are built. I saw a wrestler-build guy move mountains of limbs in a single arm-load - no problem.

There was a body-builder temp that helped drag limbs one day. I handed him my handsaw and told him to cut 6" off a 3" DBH branch end that was stacked on the trailer.

He started, and I said "STOP !! - you are using two hands. Try it with one to see what it's really like".

Using one hand, he chugged away for about 15 seconds and stopped to huff and puff after one cut. He had muscle mass, but not endurance with the handsawing muscle group.

I remember how hard handsawing was for me, the first 3 weeks of business.

work not being over when I get home.
being responsible for what every one does.
the nasty, hairy jobs that noone else wants.
heat.

xtremetrees said:
http://www.louisianagardenclubs.org/images/coleen/sevensisters/sevensiss-patburk.jpg[/url]
I know it doesnt look it there is no central tie ins and its all squirlleing out,
Grows only 90 miles from the coast

It's about 15 miles from my place. I attended a close freind's wedding under it several years ago. I have not had a chance to check on it since Katrina, but I'm glad you reminded me. The wedding photographer said in full sun the lighting under it is very much like that inside a cathedral. Heck, it IS a cathedral.

I'm with Treeseer on this. A real pleasure to have an excuse to climb around in one of these old beasts.

THE CLAWBACK! when the grapple that i use to swing top to top busts loose and the swingback to your tie in tree begins....the pain in my feet when spiking up big fatty trees....and gaffing out of crumbly bark on old growth fir and hemlocks....and the good old two second heart attack when something shifts suddenly on you!

Latest posts

Back