hardhat/faceshield/earmuffs combo question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save your money on the saw shop hardhats, They aren't even Ansi rated. Just get any MSA hardhat with the slots on the side. Those slots except all sorts of attachments. Go on Amazon and shop away. I can almost assure you that you will end up with a better set-up than any of those overpriced Stihl ,or Husky systems.

I bought one of those Jonsered helmets with the muffs and screen shield. The webbing never really snapped into the helmet right. Once while putting it back together (again) the helmet tab broke that was supposed to hold in the liner. I had an MSA hardhat with muffs that was given to me from a contractor when I was working at a powerplant and the screen shield from the expensive Jonsered set-up attached to the inserts on the muffs of the standard MSA safety hat with the muffs. I probably have 5 of said hardhats because they give them away on industrial jobs. I'll bet you could get that stuff from Harbor Freight

Oh yea, The Jonsered hard hat was the same as the Husky set-up, and it was JUNK. I have a brand new hardhat I'll give you if you pay for the ride.

Just get any MSA hardhat with the slots on the side.

The MSA components are heavier duty, and also slightly heavier in weight. A big advantage is that you can assemble your own components, and choose a full brim helmet if you prefer that; choose colors; select different levels of muffs; etc. Disadvantage is that you have to look a little further than your local saw shop. Available from industrial safety suppliers, Grainger, etc.

Philbert

MSA Full Brim.jpg

The MSA components are heavier duty, and also slightly heavier in weight. A big advantage is that you can assemble your own components, and choose a full brim helmet if you prefer that; choose colors; select different levels of muffs; etc. Disadvantage is that you have to look a little further than your local saw shop. Available from industrial safety suppliers, Grainger, etc.

Philbert

View attachment 421840
Are you able to purchase a face shield? I've often thought that it would be nice to have plexiglass versus screen when you are cutting upwind and dirt and dust are flying at your face.

Are you able to purchase a face shield? I've often thought that it would be nice to have plexiglass over screen when you are cutting upwind and dirt and dust are flying at your face.
Check that link in a previous post

My only gripe with a face shield is that it fogs. Like right now, as soon as you breathe for the first time. The mesh screens don't to that, so that's always nice.

My only gripe with a face shield is that it fogs. Like right now, as soon as you breathe for the first time. The mesh screens don't to that, so that's always nice.

Yea I agree with you 100%. Try wearing one while working at night and cutting with a cutoff saw. We are required to wear them while cutting at certain jobs, or we'll get thrown out of the plant. ZERO TOLERANCE!!! How safe is that cutting in the dark with a fogged up shield. The screens aren't allowed while cutting with abrasive wheels.

Are you able to purchase a face shield?

MSA makes a wide variety of components, for different industries, that you can mix or match. You can get clear face shields, tinted face shields, mesh face shields, vented helmets, heat resistant helmets, chin straps, side impact protection, etc., etc.

Of course, not all accessories work with all options. For example, face shields work better with front brim helmets than full brim helmets IMO. Other safety vendors will also offer helmet mounted hearing protection if that is all you want/need. I just know that MSA offers a 'forestry kit' that can be ordered together through their dealers. I have a few variations; they weigh 3 to 6 ounces more than my Husqvarna helmet system, but different features (e.g. ratchet suspension, chip guard, etc.)

http://us.msasafety.com/Face-Protec...d®-Accessory-System-Kits/p/000060007000001400

Another important point is that I have been able to get replacement parts for both my Husqvarna and MSA helmets when needed, without replacing the whole thing. Nice when you set your helmet together with your saw and gloves when they bring sticky buns out at a GTG, and come back to find that the muffler welded your 'adjustable' suspension into a fixed size.

Philbert

Helmets.jpg

Stihl Forestry model meets ANSI Z89.1-2003 Type 1 Class G, Husqvarna Pro Forest meets meets ANSI Z89.1-2003 Class G-E.

But what I would really like is a full brim aluminum hat that's not made in China. I'd probably settle for MSA like mentioned above, especially a full brim MSA setup like Philbert has.

Anyhing to not use branded high priced gear when there is a better way to do it is good by me.....so I'll be cutting today in Stihl Forestry Helmet and Labonville chaps. ;)

( . . . especially a full brim MSA setup like Philbert has.)

Full disclosure: That's not me in the photo above (Post #22). It was the happy and lucky recipient of one that I provided for a raffle.

I get why guys in the rainy PNW like the full brim helmets, but I prefer the front brim ones, above in Post #27.

Philbert

Back