"Hardness" of wood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTK

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Does someone have a list of the "relative" hardness of the different types of wood so to speak?
I am curious because the wood I cut is much different than most mentioned here. Mainly almond, apricot, walnut and some river oak. Kinda wondering how it compares.

Very subjective topic here as so many contrary factors are present to muddy the waters.

Foremost is specific gravity,which varies with it's % moisture content.This measurement is what most use for apple to apple comparisons.

Where it gets slippery is when you factor growing conditions,soil composition,and microclimate causing (wildly in some cases) different densities within same species.

Then you consider the exact moisture content of said wood.I know of very dense hardwoods that cut fine dead green,and cut like solid iron when cured.

Clear as mud?:)

Does someone have a list of the "relative" hardness of the different types of wood so to speak?
I am curious because the wood I cut is much different than most mentioned here. Mainly almond, apricot, walnut and some river oak. Kinda wondering how it compares.

just google "janka hardness scale" and you'll find the hardness levels of various woods, used for hardwood flooring

here: check it out

http://www.countyfloors.com/about_janka.html

Latest posts

Back