Harvester chain study results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Stumbled upon this reasonably recent study and thought it interesting:
https://www.skogforsk.se/contentass...omparative-study---arbetsrapport-918-2016.pdf

Skipping to the conclusion:
Conclusions

Of the new chains, the Carlton B8, STIHL RMH and Oregon 18HX had almost identical cutting time and energy consumption. The STIHL RMHS had shorter cutting time (~6 percent) and lower energy consumption (~7 percent) than the other three new chains. These differences were statistically significant with a very high degree of certainty.

The sharpened Carlton B8 chain had shorter cutting time (~9 percent) and lower energy consumption (~10 percent) than the new Carlton B8 chain. These differences were statistically significant with a very high degree of certainty.

The bar feed pressure in cutting was lower for the STIHL RMHS and the sharpened Carlton B8 chain than for the other three new chains. The difference was approximately 6 percent and was statistically significant with a high degree of certainty

Thanks for putting this up only issue I see is here in the states the 18hx Oregon is getting tough to find it’s all 19hx which would be interesting to see it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18HX is very common, any forestry supplier carries it.

Looked it up, looks like 19HX is a newer setup, chisel chain vs semi chisel 18HX.

AFAIK 18HX isn't going anywhere. I'm a part of the Oregon test group and I haven't heard anything. Granted they never told us about 19HX either though haha.

As far as the comparison, I didn't realize Stihl made harvester chain. Nearly all I see for sale is Oregon.

Down here the shops can’t order 18hx anymore so we’re switching to 19, in handling both the 19 seems a bit bigger.

18HX is very common, any forestry supplier carries it.

Looked it up, looks like 19HX is a newer setup, chisel chain vs semi chisel 18HX.

AFAIK 18HX isn't going anywhere. I'm a part of the Oregon test group and I haven't heard anything. Granted they never told us about 19HX either though haha.

As far as the comparison, I didn't realize Stihl made harvester chain. Nearly all I see for sale is Oregon.
Wev'e run most if not all harvester chains on our 2 machines & the finding are very similar we ran carlton for a long time "price & availability" sharpened it was better than out of the box we then found a source of Stihl & comparable price & found it better so at the moment we use RMH would return to using Carlton if the price/ quality of RMH fell

Down here the shops can’t order 18hx anymore so we’re switching to 19, in handling both the 19 seems a bit bigger.

Not sure where you are, but 18HX is still being made and sold according to Oregon.

I just bought a bar and chains, had it from a supplier we use out if Oregon (forget the outfit at the moment) in 3 days.

Not sure where you are, but 18HX is still being made and sold according to Oregon.

I just bought a bar and chains, had it from a supplier we use out if Oregon (forget the outfit at the moment) in 3 days.

That’s scottsco in Portland, I’m only an hour north of them what we were told was what’s left of 18hx is it 19 will be what’s available after.

That’s scottsco in Portland, I’m only an hour north of them what we were told was what’s left of 18hx is it 19 will be what’s available after.

Yup, that's the place. They didn't say anything to me about it.

It's more than fact that I don't need chisel chain, I cut fairly dirty wood, so it'd be useless for me. I run semi chisel chain on my saws for the same reason.

Back