Has anyone put their mixed gas in a fridge/cool place?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchipper95

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a older fridge that my family used to keep stocked with water and sports drinks, we bought a new one for in the kitchen and I now have a better one for the drinks.

Was wondering if keeping mixed gas in the fridge on say about 60 as opposed to 90+ would have any benefit?

Interesting thought, but I think the saw would warm it up pretty quickly. It could cause tuning issues as well from the temperature swing. I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't. Fridges have motors, and motors can ignite gas fumes. Also, the thermostat switch sparks when it stops and starts the fridge, and that is a big boom waiting to happen.

i keep my fuel in the work box of my truck year round. so my fuel will see anything from -10c to +34c depending on the time of year and where i'm at. i burn it more then fast enough to not have any concerns about needing a stabilizer and i imagine your reasoning for storing in the fridge is to make it last? if you don't burn it fast enough just mix a stabilizer in.

If you try it ensure the container is totally full of fuel (and that the container can flex as the fuel contracts in the cold).
There is a certain amount of water vapour in air, when it is cooled this water vapour is likely to become a liquid and settle in your fuel.

Long story short - it's been drummed into me by my father. He is an ex pilot and when planes were left outside in the cold overnight they would drain a significant amount of water off the bottom of the fuel tanks. All our diesel equipment is filled nightly and we don't ever have fuel problems - he attributes it to this, and I have seen other contractors go from having problems, to having none when they changed from fueling up in the morning to fueling up in the evening.

osha would not approve of that containment if it tells u anything. If it was a 1950s fridge with mechanical lock, then it would be ok cause the locked door would contain the explosion

If you try it ensure the container is totally full of fuel (and that the container can flex as the fuel contracts in the cold).
There is a certain amount of water vapour in air, when it is cooled this water vapour is likely to become a liquid and settle in your fuel.

Long story short - it's been drummed into me by my father. He is an ex pilot and when planes were left outside in the cold overnight they would drain a significant amount of water off the bottom of the fuel tanks. All our diesel equipment is filled nightly and we don't ever have fuel problems - he attributes it to this, and I have seen other contractors go from having problems, to having none when they changed from fueling up in the morning to fueling up in the evening.
I've never heard that one. I just fill up stuff when it's getting empty!

You guys over think the hell out of things. Mix your gas and run it! We have saws that crap ethenol gas 5 days a week.

I thought the purpose of this whole web-site / forum was to over think anything chainsaw related......AND some things not so chainsaw related.

If you've got a fuel tank with a drain at the bottom, crack it and drain some fuel into a clear container.
It's in the "simple to check for yourself/don't believe the Internet" list.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure anything does. Out of around 20 pieces of diesel equipment/trucks the only one that has given trouble in the winter is 1 dozer.

Not sure why on that dozer but if it's much below freezing the fuel filter (glass cube) needs to get hit with some heat or swapped with a warm one it won't start.

Not sure why on that dozer but if it's much below freezing the fuel filter (glass cube) needs to get hit with some heat or swapped with a warm one it won't start.
Have you tried warming up your hands before you play with it's bulb? ;)

Be there all day. When I mean "warm" I mean the weed burner or torch on it to heat it up.
The thing gells up solid orherwise, even with winter fuel that works fine in everything else. Once it's running it's fine too.
John Deere 750, I forget the year, probably late 80s. Gets most used at the landing for pushing brush away from the delimber.
Roughly equal to a D7 Cat.

I did but I mistaked it for the ice tea lol
Needless to say no one could smoke near the toilet for a week:givebeer::lol:

Latest posts

Back