Has anyone tried this saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine bought one of those Chinese Stihl knock offs and it was a complete waste of money. Put 32-1 fuel in it and it fired up ok but would not rev up when you pulled the trigger. After taking it apart and bending the throttle linkage we got it to rev up. Then we noticed a huge puddle of gas where it had sat. The fuel tank was cracked somewhere from either shipping or just a defect. Not worth the $150 he spent on it.

To expect anymore than tat you would be an idiot, to get anymore than that you would be well and truly in front...

I do not think that I have run that particular type. However if it is similiar to the Blue or Red ones floating around there are a few folks using them in my area.

The saws cut wood and that particular price is about what these folks seemed to have paid for them.

They are currently using them as "new employee" saws. They are using them instead of the supposedly inexpensive Stihls, Husqs and Poulans that they were using and have no interest in spending the extra $100.00 to get the name brand saws anymore.

I still do not understand how the saws can be sold legally but I doubt that the sellers and buyers care.

They will replace a chain, anything else and it gets parted out, just like the other brands.

$60.00+ an hour for repairs, carbs with zreo adjustment screws and $200.00 for a craptacular 180 has made the niche market for junk saws much larger than it was two years ago.

BlueMax or BlueHorse, the blue ones had a crappy looking sticker with a name like that on them. The red ones were similar to the ones marketed by EarthQuake if not actual EarthQuake brand. They do not seem to complain about them any more than the other cheapy saws and rave about the price.

Last edited:
If I had the money to play I would get one of those 45cc PowerHorse saws from NorthernTool and see what could be made of it. Aluminum case, Walbro carb, Oregon bar.

But before I'd mess with that I'd get a Poulan/Craftsman 5020 at the local Sears for $200, tune it and just go cut wood.

--that's pretty interesting, and more along what I think chainsaws should really cost new. Try as I might, I can't see a chainsaw costing as much as a small single cylinder gas engine riding mower.

About 10 years ago, I remember a saw rep telling me that the difference in material cost from the smallest to the largest saw they made was $25.

I don`t know if this saw is made by the same company as the 52cc one that my neighbour purchased.[If it`s possible to break any thing mechanical he`s your man]he`s broken Husky, Stihl,OleoMac, Tanaka, you get the drift .So when he showed up with this I thought 1Hour tops. That was some 18 months ago& he has cut his winter heating wood for the last 2 winters [He has 3 wood burning stoves & keeps in 1 of them 24/7 October through end of March ] so would guess he`s cut some 20 cubic metres per winter The only problem that i know of is he ripped the coiled wire end off the HT lead & he`s not able to repair ANYTHING. Iv`e sharpened his chains & he is some 3/4`s through the second one I AM AMAZED, never takes more than 5 pulls to start cold, usually 2 hot. It cost him 99 euros=$135 I don`t know but he seems unable to kill it. It`s gone up a goodly amount in my estimation. At this moment I can hear it rasping away So maybe if you get a mid week built one they are not to bad.

Bought one last fall, it looked awful. Took plastic off and removed a pound of stickers. Used a carving blade to make plastic fit. Used JB weld to beef up
throttle linkages. Tossed it in the Sno-Cat with the other saws for a trip up the east side of Crater Lake Park. At the first big log jam across the road
neither of the new stihls would start at 10 or 15 below. They tried..wouldn't catch and rev. We gassed and oiled the new "import" saw and it fired right
up and cleared this and other logs through out the day. Later it warmed enough the 460 fired up but this 52cc saw is so light and handy, especially
stumbling around in 10 feet of snow. It is the easiest starting saw I have ever had except my electric..
This summer I have not used my other personal saws, a 3120 husky and a 041 husky just because it doesn't bother my back as much. This little
saw only revs to 8 grand and pulls at 7 grand. I put a 20 inch narrow kerf bar and chain on it and it isn't near as fast as the 3120 but I don't
need drugs after I cut a load. The narrow kerf is much faster than the chinesey one. I use my snowmobile oil at 50 to one.
I found this thread because I was looking to see if anyone was porting these little saws?

i have ran every color of the rainbow, and find this chicom saw to be an ok saw and the best bang for your buck, at 90$ shipped the saw is well worth it. after opening the up the muffler and re tuning it i couldn't be more pleased with my moneys worth. if you buy this 52cc saw please take it apart and examine it, there was a faulty exhaust gasket, it would have melted the plastic if i didnt replace it. the air filter needed sanding for a tight fit. the saw has a high rpm, and holds it with about 1-3lbs of pressure, at 5 lbs and WOT it dose bog down, not a power saw. this week i will be running the saw through a mill to see how it cuts on 5-10minute rips. it is china crap but i plan to treat it as such.

Back