Has anyone worn out a chainbrake...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rowan

Rowan

ArboristSite Operative
Kind of....

Dad gave me his Jred590 last year.... the band was toast when I got it. After talking with the local tech, I believe Dad didn't set the break on/off when tightening the chain (centers band on clutch).

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
No but I don't constantly kick it on and off like most
operators do either. I Only kick it on if traveling or in awkward spots.
It may be better to kick it for safety but I learned with saws that did not
have brakes and have not cut leg ever.

2FatGuys

2FatGuys

ArboristSite Guru
I have had two fail (break). But I use the chain brake religiously... every time I move or start / stop the saw. They are not hard to replace and are a small price to pay for safety.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
I be smacking the crap out of em, specially the 44 in a tree. I will stop the chain with it sometimes even on the ground. They are easy to replace,easier than taking you to the hospital . You never know if someone is behind you and usually that someone does not move as fast as me. It kind of like setting the brake on a truck, its something that gets done everytime.
Blipping? Anyone else do shave and a hair cut?

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
I would not let you run my saws, I have seen you guys click click click
more clicking than I can stand, now blipping that is different :laugh:

I would never let you let me run of your saws. One time I was working on painting crew when I accidently use someone elses paintbrush for the wrong thing. This guy went off on me over 12 dollar brush. I thought he was riduculous at the time but for real, to each his own with good reason.

Last edited:
ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
I be smacking the crap out of em, specially the 44 in a tree. I will stop the chain with it sometimes even on the ground. They are easy to replace,easier than taking you to the hospital . You never know if someone is behind you and usually that someone does not move as fast as me. It kind of like setting the brake on a truck, its something that gets done everytime.
Blipping? Anyone else do shave and a hair cut?

Well see if ya cut yer teeth on saws without brakes you learn to wait
a second for the chain to stop before moving. If I get into the skit it
mode no one is stupid enough to get close:laugh: Like I have said
I would be taking my saw from you if I kept hearing click click click
you could then be put to doing something like chipping brush!

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Now I will tell ya something that may help you while you are going click click click click click I am cutting until I run out of fuel or have cut the entire tree up. I will say you may hear click, if I am moving far but most likely I will kill it move and then start and cut. Those clicks are costing me money I already give a 15 minute break mourning and afternoon and 1 hour lunch and at a dollar a click it is expensive.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Well see if ya cut yer teeth on saws without brakes you learn to wait
a second for the chain to stop before moving. If I get into the skit it
mode no one is stupid enough to get close:laugh: Like I have said
I would be taking my saw from you if I kept hearing click click click
you could then be put to doing something like chipping brush!

Oh yeah, you had to take the brake handle off those little echos to be cool.

techdave

techdave

ArboristSite Operative
Some of us learned on old gear reduction saws ..

and saws with no brakes. I used to feel funny using a saw WITH a brake.

Now I would not dream of using one without. Except as an oldsaw demo. Maybe.

Ropensaddle, I dont know aobut the other guys, but I dont brake after each cut, just each move of body position more than 3 steps/10 feet. It wastes no time at all. On longer moves its faster, as i can move faster w/o worrying aobut what's up with the bar and chain. EDIT( or when I am done with a cut and dont have another one planned.)

i agree, stopping after each (non felling) cut woudl be overkill, In most situations i have seen.

TimberMcPherson

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Now I will tell ya something that may help you while you are going click click click click click I am cutting until I run out of fuel or have cut the entire tree up. I will say you may hear click, if I am moving far but most likely I will kill it move and then start and cut. Those clicks are costing me money I already give a 15 minute break mourning and afternoon and 1 hour lunch and at a dollar a click it is expensive.

Or is that cutting until you run out of appendages? How much does your average chainsaw bite cost? Do you use saw mitts? Are your guys qualified to use saws or just good enough by your standards? Have you done a course on using a saw or are you self taught?

Those clicks arent any more expensive than tieing in, putting your helmet on, having a tailgate meeting, working in heavy hot expensive PPE, wearing a seatbelt, having insurance etc.
I like the clicks, its going to cost everyone alot more if its not used enough.

2FatGuys

2FatGuys

ArboristSite Guru
and saws with no brakes. I used to feel funny using a saw WITH a brake.

Now I would not dream of using one without. Except as an oldsaw demo. Maybe.

Ropensaddle, I dont know aobut the other guys, but I dont brake after each cut, just each move of body position more than 3 steps/10 feet. It wastes no time at all. On longer moves its faster, as i can move faster w/o worrying aobut what's up with the bar and chain. EDIT( or when I am done with a cut and dont have another one planned.)

i agree, stopping after each (non felling) cut woudl be overkill, In most situations i have seen.

+1 what he said...

my use of the phrase "I use the chain brake religiously" does not indicate after every cut! I consider a "move" to be a relocation within the tree or change in position on the ground, not a few simple steps as I buck logs or remove brush from downed limbs. One of my partners was a "non-braker", with the same opinion as a few of you ("Heck, we learned without brakes and didn't need them then, so why now?") until he slipped while removing brush and the saw decided that he didn't really need his little toe any more (Yep... he had changed into his work boots from his protective ones because "we were about done".) It's now company policy to use the chain brake that the manufacturers provide us. It's not a "click-click-click" world like you think. It's more of a "cut-cut-cut-step-cut-cut-step-cut-cut-click-reposition-click-cut-cut-step-cut-cut-step-cut-step-cut-cut-step-cut-cut-cut-click-cut-cut-cut" lifestyle... I really would prefer that my guys stay safe rather than be able to showcase my shiny new brakes on my well worked saws...

ckliff

ckliff

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
havent worn one out, but.......... one time thought it would be good idea to take it apart & clean it. Never worked after that. Fortunately, early in career on a shindawa 357, now I only use Stihl and have learned.........if it aint broke dont fix it.

southsoundtree

southsoundtree

ArboristSite Operative
I've seen one worn so thin that it was removed from the saw, flexed a bit, which normally would rebound to the normal shape, but it just bent and stayed bent.

I suppose this is hard on the clutch and drum as well as the band itself. While these are relatively cheap to replace, I don't think that stopping the chain all the time with the chain brake is a good thing. Let it spin down then pop it on. Slow the chain down on the wood.

Just use good technique. Make sure the throttle interlock, the lever on the pistol grip is working and remove your rear hand to move. Its the same effect as putting on the chainbrake. Use the chainbrake if you feel better about it. Use the chainbrake, in important situations to stop the chain, just not every situation.

I've never heard about the rest of the mechanism wearing out from popping the chainbrake level on and off for walking or starting.

be safe.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Or is that cutting until you run out of appendages? How much does your average chainsaw bite cost? Do you use saw mitts? Are your guys qualified to use saws or just good enough by your standards? Have you done a course on using a saw or are you self taught?

Those clicks arent any more expensive than tieing in, putting your helmet on, having a tailgate meeting, working in heavy hot expensive PPE, wearing a seatbelt, having insurance etc.
I like the clicks, its going to cost everyone alot more if its not used enough.

Well I will try to answer yer questions I started using them in 82
professionally and in that time elapsed, have never cut myself.
I cut many years before getting chaps as the company did not have
and then did and were mandatory etc. Yeah training, more than many
on this site and never once was said anything of click. I do set brake
on occasion in a tree as far as moving on the ground, I have a kill switch
and know its proper use and know how to carry a saw more than many,
blade to rear muffler out, not the axeman way but proper. What all this
zazz it about is, protecting you from your own bad practices including
chaps! I have seen some look like shredded meat and that is definitely,
someone that should never have been let at the helm of a saw.
When I started my career, foremen would ground you from all saw
use if they noticed something stupid. I have seen full time chipper
men that were only let use one once. I when made a foreman in
88 was the same, if you are a sloth or slow headed you did not run
a saw. I know this may sound extreme and all but I have never had
a loss time injury or any men under my supervision in the 18 or so
years of supervising tree work.

Last edited:

Latest posts