Has Husqvarna Changed Carb Needle Head Size? 330LK Trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Up A Creek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a brand new Husky 330lk from Lowes 'cause it was on sale. I was sick of the anemic performance of my Milwaukee battery powered trimmer and happened to stop at Lowes and found the sale. I liked the attachment idea so I went for it.

And for those of you telling me I should be going to a Husky dealer; I have one a half hour away that I bought a 435 from new. Ran like crap right out of the box (their "tech" could barely get it started when the put it together) and they rebuilt it twice and it still runs like crap. No amount of adjustment will fix it. And they wouldn't take it back. Lowes takes tools back. So I'm not dealing with that crap.
I haven't torn it apart because it was under warranty and didn't have time. I will rebuild (guessing it's a vacuum leak) and clear out the muffler when I get a chance. But that's another story.

Back to the trimmer.
Started up and it runs lean after it's warmed up. Temp is in the 80s so it doesn't take long.
Engine consistantly bogs and then revs when you give it full throttle. Has good power once it's going.
I'm not interested in the piston going early in 2 years when the warranty is up (keeping them running lean would explain a lot of the bad reveiws of these) so I wanted to adjust the carb. I have several aftermarket splined adjusting tools that fit the splined needles on the 435. They're all (very slightly) too small for the 330LK. It's possible it just needs an OEM tool, but I have several brands that don't fit but fit the saw just fine.
The tools fit in the access holes for the needles, they just won't fit around the head of the needle.
I actually bought 3, so I would potentially have 1 good one before the sale was over. The tools don't fit any of the 3. So it isn't just this one.

The 330 seems to be a relatively new tool, so I was wondering if they changed the size of the head on the needles? Before I drop the cash on an OEM tool that may not fit also?

Took my tools into Lowes to check some of the other Husky stuff, also doesn't fit the 525 trimmer series, or the 450 and 445? chainsaws.
Interestingly they do fit the 120 chainsaw.

Found some answers over in the chainsaw forum. Thanks to the guys there that replied.

Apparently there are now 2 different sizes of needle head. I don't know if Husky is moving all to the larger size or not?

4mm 21 spline. Easy to find aftermarket, can find some places in Europe that sell the OEM tool.
5mm 20 spline. Can't seem to find any aftermarket, almost no where in Europe has the OE tool for sale.
There are workarounds. The pacman tool seems to work. You can also make something with plastic or soft metal that slides over it. Or remove it and cut a groove for a flat tip.

Hope this helps someone.

Back