Has this MM been done ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, the OEM cover isn't stainless.
That screw inside the muffler would concern me. If it were to vibrate out, it could easily get inside the cylinder and ruin the topend. I've seen similar happen.
Yes it could. It should not be flipped about much while running since the Saw is to mill with and the screw won't fit through the holes it the baffel.
That being said, the screw is not actually needed since the spring is threaded though the baffel, so I think I will remove it now that you bring it up.

That surprises me. I have 4 of these saws, all with the same cover. One I bought new from the dealer in October 2013.
Maybe none of them are stainless steel. They cleaned up like stainless but I guess I could check them with a magnet.
Either way they polish up easy enough and at least this one wants to stay that way for now.

Yes it could. It should not be flipped about much while running since the Saw is to mill with and the screw won't fit through the holes it the baffel.
That being said, the screw is not actually needed since the spring is threaded though the baffel, so I think I will remove it now that you bring it up.

Might consider tacking it, brazing it, or JB welding it in also. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if it wasn't, but that is just me.

Maybe none of them are stainless steel. They cleaned up like stainless but I guess I could check them with a magnet.
Either way they polish up easy enough and at least this one wants to stay that way for now.
Stick a magnet to it. But shiny looks good

Cheap stainless will hold a magnet.
I think you have it.
I just put a magnet on a bunch of muffler covers. The older saws held the magnet tight. The 460 saws held it but not nearly as well. A newer 441 did not hold it at all but the color of the 460 covers was very similar to the 441.
I think the 460 cover has a high nickel content although it may not qualify as Stainless Steel.
I just like the look of this cover over the duel port and was trying to utilize it. Sorta keeps the saw original.
If the cover material is where this is going then I may have to take my mashed up OEM 460 muffler cover and a Aftermarket Duel Port and see which one lasts longer in a jar of Muratic acid

While I certainly appreciate the idea I would think that the spring will lose tension(fade) and eventually become brittle. Fade will allow movement of the screen and could cause both the screen and the spring to break, since both will become brittle. If possible you could cut a chunk of the screen so it can be wedged between the main muffler body and cover, bending of the main body flange to account for the screen martial will most likely be needed so as to allow the screen to wedge securely. The extra space between the screen and cover outlets would also be benificial.

It has been my experience that any material placed in side of a chainsaw muffler needs to locked down hard, highly recommend all screens and such be placed outside of the can, it might not seem possible but things will go from the muffler to the cylinder.

I have no experience, but would a pop rivet in every corner held on the inside with a small washer hold up?

I think it would be better to simply use that screen as a 'gasket' and sandwich it between the two muffler parts, allowing the bolts to hold it in.

I suppose you could even line both sides of the muffler with saran wrap for the purpose of a non stick mold and use jb weld to create a gasket around the entire screen.
That screen being used in the pics above would be more of a pre screen pulverizer due to its hole size and wouldn't pass as a legal muffler spark arrester screen.

I suppose you could even line both sides of the muffler with saran wrap for the purpose of a non stick mold and use jb weld to create a gasket around the entire screen.
That screen being used in the pics above would be more of a pre screen pulverizer due to its hole size and wouldn't pass as a legal muffler spark arrester screen.
I think it would be better to simply use that screen as a 'gasket' and sandwich it between the two muffler parts, allowing the bolts to hold it in.
If JB Weld would hold up to the heat I would prefer to make the screen part of the gasket. It was my original plan and I made an attempt but the screen is thick and I could not come up with any way to seal the muffler halves.
If I could seal the pores on the edges of the screen I could use a stock gasket (or 2) . Even if that required longer screws it would be a much better solution for using the OEM cover.

Latest posts

Back