Has to be true, I read it on the Internet.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was saddened to read on another internet tool board that all new chainsaws have a chip imbedded that shuts them down after a set number of hours. A dealer must service them to get them going again. This is so the saw can be properly serviced and not pollute.

See what happens when you guys just had to spout off about removing the limiter caps and drilling mufflers??? Now look what ya done did!:cry:

Andy does my 660 have this chip?? :cry: sniff sniff

that must be why the blue coil on my 372xp quit after only about 40 hours :mad:

seriously- you would basically need a miniature digital hour meter somewhere in the ignition circuit. A saw only has a stop/start switch, coil, coil wire and plug in its ignition circuit.

All the chip would need to do is count pulses, store the count, via a logic chip 'and fire' less then 1,000,000 (or what ever number) and 'nor' fire after after the number of pulses.

It would be my bet that the MS-280 is the closest thing to this now, but dose not have it yet.

Edit: What an intresting law-suit if a saw stoped during a backcut or otherwise stoped in the middle of critical work, and someone got hurt because of it!

Last edited:
Let's see how long it takes for a company to do something just like that scenario.

No doubt about it. It's like the service alarm system in modern cars. You have to go to your dealer to service your car (no service by other brand dealers) and have factory eqpt to reset the thing.

I agree also with Shoer, the security aspect would be tough
Naaaah, I don't see it happen soon.

Last edited:
you wont know if your saw has one of these coils unless you open it up. The mid level coils on that link are already in your saw if it is EPA. Witness the Blue coil in my 372xp that is speed governed

great link PES+!

oh yeah if you want to be really scared go read about OBDII or OBDIII and its ability to do data recording of vehicle parameters. In other words when you have a accident in a GM vehicle the dealer can play back how fast you were going at the time of the accident along with gas pedal angle, was the brake pedal depressed and more.

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index....eefd04398fa69ac7&pl_view=51&start=0#msg_44473
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132056,00.html

go about half down the page to obdiii
http://www.aa1car.com/library/us796obd.htm

Its all like a conspiracy man... big brother and stuff.
I don't see the chip thing happening in a saw for just the point ShoerFast said, if the saw stopped during a cut and someone/thing got hurt or killed it would be a big time lawsuit. Now things like trimmers, blowers, etc I could see this happening. I think there is a better chance 2 cycles will be outlawed in the next ten years and we will all have small power equipment that weighs us down like thanksgiving dinner.

I think the hour meter would be most helpful determining mttf. That's mean time to failure. Learn how long (or short) your ignition system lasts.

It would be easier for a company to put a chip in with an hourmeter so that when the unit fails, it gets returned to the mfg, who can then read the number of hours until it fails.

The mfg would also have a date code of mfg, and they would be able pin point what production run the unit came from. Could be quite helpful when issuing a technical service bulletin if not a recall altogether.

In conclusion, if I manufactured said device, it would only be placed in the industrial units that get the most use, are the most likely to fail in the field, and already have a premium on the price because they are "industrial grade."

Would I put such a device on a std saw? Nope, adds cost.

Would I put it on a low end pro grade saw? Maybe, but still adds cost.

Would I put it on a high end pro grade saw (880, 650) probably.

No mfg in their right mind would make a product that purposely fails; there are plenty of variables in the mfg process that can cause that to happen already.

Its all like a conspiracy man... big brother and stuff.
I don't see the chip thing happening in a saw for just the point ShoerFast said, if the saw stopped during a cut and someone/thing got hurt or killed it would be a big time lawsuit. Now things like trimmers, blowers, etc I could see this happening. I think there is a better chance 2 cycles will be outlawed in the next ten years and we will all have small power equipment that weighs us down like thanksgiving dinner.

I have a four stroke Honda trimmer. Doesn't seem overly heavy, has plenty power and it's quiet. I really like it. The technology is there to build a reasonable weight four stroke saw but it would be expensive!

Walbro Site said:
CDI Digital Module - 4 Cycle (Spark Management)

* Timing control, customized
* Precise speed governing
o Unaffected by air gap
o Unaffected by flywheel magnet flux level
o Unaffected by temperature
* Smart on-board intelligence
o Idle stability feedback
o Improved cold starting
o Improved warm-up
o Fast idle control
o Improved acceleration
o Lower cost approach, self-powering
o Precise cut-in
o Optimized engine power
o Reduced kick back
o Spark management
* Integrated battery charger option

I want that one in all my saws!

Ian

I was saddened to read on another internet tool board that all new chainsaws have a chip imbedded that shuts them down after a set number of hours. A dealer must service them to get them going again. This is so the saw can be properly serviced and not pollute.

See what happens when you guys just had to spout off about removing the limiter caps and drilling mufflers??? Now look what ya done did!:cry:

Andy does my 660 have this chip?? :cry: sniff sniff

Would that be the same chip They planted in my brain when They abducted me? You know They the Chainsaw People!! Now I love the smell of burning 2stroke and have urges to buy chainsaws I donot need. I think They are comeing back I gotta hide!!!!

No mfg in their right mind would make a product that purposely fails; there are plenty of variables in the mfg process that can cause that to happen already.

What? You guys asleep at the wheel?

I thought this would draw all sorts of comments, from the Ford recall, to the Toyota recall to all the other recalls. Not to mention the recalls of stuff from China with the lead in the paint.

I know of a dealership that installs these mods to his saws fresh out of the box when the product goes on display... and takes them out when they get sold. Uses it to catch the dirty bu**ers that like to steal saws in the middle of the night - the stolen s/n is registered and the crooks have no choice but to take it to a dealer

very clever I say

I know of a dealership that installs these mods to his saws fresh out of the box when the product goes on display... and takes them out when they get sold. Uses it to catch the dirty bu**ers that like to steal saws in the middle of the night - the stolen s/n is registered and the crooks have no choice but to take it to a dealer

very clever I say

Laugh all you want, but I know many a mower dealership that uses GPS units on mowers that sit outside at night. You would be amazed at how efective it really is!!!

Back