Hauling Firewood in Log Form. Why On Earth Would Ya!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 217220View attachment 217218View attachment 217218Depends on the tools you use. I have a few options available. This is my thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/153256.htm
Here's one option, I can load whatever size logs on it, tow it home (15 miles) and cut it up whenever. If I have lots of time I cut rounds in the bush and throw a load on my truck too, if I'm in a hurry just load logs on both. I have a couple of dump trailers too but this trailer makes for alot less handling and alot less bending over. View attachment 217217
217218d1326501308-trailer1-jpg

217220d1326501444-wagon2-jpg

Last edited:
I have a skidding winch, large tractor with bucket and forks and a large trailer at my disposal.

I can move the logs pretty easily to work in 12-16' lengths, where I process the wood on works dime. Then I sell the wood and put extra cash in my pocket.

Why wouldnt I move them in log form?

And before some smartazzed American speaks up, yes these are old Canadian Army trucks. We can buy them at Military suplus auctions just like you Americans. Canadian government has just upgraded all our Army trucks and these are available at very reasonable costs.

I'll be working a woodlot the rest of winter that has a ton of blowdowns from a storm this summer. So far I've cleaned up everything within 50 yards of the edge. Round by round, on my shoulder, through the brush and deposited iin the bed of my truck. Grueling to say the least but what a work out. Now I need to get the stuff that is in deep. I have a friend who will loan me his quad with a small trailer to tow behind it. I do not have unlimited access to his ATV so I plan on cutting the wood into 4'-6' logs and loading them on small trailer and pulling them to edge of field where I can access them. I plan on doing this until I run out of time on the loaner. Then I can go back and cut and load at my leisure.
We finally have some snow and lower temps. No more mud for awhile but this is Michigan so I expect it to be anywhere from 10 degrees to 60 degrees next week.

I'll be working a woodlot the rest of winter that has a ton of blowdowns from a storm this summer. So far I've cleaned up everything within 50 yards of the edge. Round by round, on my shoulder, through the brush and deposited iin the bed of my truck. Grueling to say the least but what a work out. Now I need to get the stuff that is in deep. I have a friend who will loan me his quad with a small trailer to tow behind it. I do not have unlimited access to his ATV so I plan on cutting the wood into 4'-6' logs and loading them on small trailer and pulling them to edge of field where I can access them. I plan on doing this until I run out of time on the loaner. Then I can go back and cut and load at my leisure.We finally have some snow and lower temps. No more mud for awhile but this is Michigan so I expect it to be anywhere from 10 degrees to 60 degrees next week.

Easy access from the road?

Easy access from the road?

Brother in laws place. 30 acres long and skinny. All the way to the back of his land via two track along edge of corn field. Couple hundred yards through woods and ditches to get to a public road. Not visible either. My own lilttle private "landing" area.

I'll be working a woodlot the rest of winter that has a ton of blowdowns from a storm this summer. So far I've cleaned up everything within 50 yards of the edge. Round by round, on my shoulder, through the brush and deposited iin the bed of my truck. Grueling to say the least but what a work out. Now I need to get the stuff that is in deep. I have a friend who will loan me his quad with a small trailer to tow behind it. I do not have unlimited access to his ATV so I plan on cutting the wood into 4'-6' logs and loading them on small trailer and pulling them to edge of field where I can access them. I plan on doing this until I run out of time on the loaner. Then I can go back and cut and load at my leisure.
We finally have some snow and lower temps. No more mud for awhile but this is Michigan so I expect it to be anywhere from 10 degrees to 60 degrees next week.

In your case, it would make sense to get as many out as you can when you have the equipment available. I have no issues with that at all. I don't know what kind of wood your hauling, but even a 6 footer can get mighty heavy/cumbersome to load on a trailer. As long as you have snow, I think I would just pull them out to the edge rather than load a trailer.

I was kinda thinking, when I started this thread, that most people did the log thing because that is how their elders did it. I guess there is a time and a place for everything. I just haven't found the time OR the place to drag logs home!:msp_biggrin:
Like stated earlier, if you are taking small diameter wood out that is easy to load and unload, that's one thing. Or, if you have a huge log, on some one elses' property, that's another.

I have exclusive access to the woodland I cut in, so the bobcat stays in the woods, along with the splitter. Only way out there is through the landowners' yard, and, he has cameras all over! Even in the middle of the woods! I am very lucky to have this arrangement; I know it, respect his property, treat it as though it were my land, and everyone comes out happy!
And yes, it is ALL red oak!
Ted

Last edited:
And before some smartazzed American speaks up, yes these are old Canadian Army trucks. We can buy them at Military suplus auctions just like you Americans. Canadian government has just upgraded all our Army trucks and these are available at very reasonable costs.

Canadian military uses yellow Tonka trucks....?

:laugh:

I think there are some wires crossed some where.

In your case, it would make sense to get as many out as you can when you have the equipment available. I have no issues with that at all. I don't know what kind of wood your hauling, but even a 6 footer can get mighty heavy/cumbersome to load on a trailer. As long as you have snow, I think I would just pull them out to the edge rather than load a trailer.

I was kinda thinking, when I started this thread, that most people did the log thing because that is how their elders did it. I guess there is a time and a place for everything. I just haven't found the time OR the place to drag logs home!:msp_biggrin:
Like stated earlier, if you are taking small diameter wood out that is easy to load and unload, that's one thing. Or, if you have a huge log, on some one elses' property, that's another.

I have exclusive access to the woodland I cut in, so the bobcat stays in the woods, along with the splitter. Only way out there is through the landowners' yard, and, he has cameras all over! Even in the middle of the woods! I am very lucky to have this arrangement; I know it, respect his property, treat it as though it were my land, and everyone comes out happy!
And yes, it is ALL red oak!
Ted

Red Oak is nice! This haul will be mostly maple. I did pull some oak a couple weeks ago. I haven't had the time or the luxury to "scout" until today. I'm headed down after breakfast to scout and start limbing and clearing my way in. When I have the equipment I don't want to waste any time just load and go. Diameters range from 10" to 24". Of course I won't pass up a couple nice small 8 inchers either. There is a bunch of Hickory in there as well I hope to get lucky and find a few. A few cherry are down as well. I also snagged an ash. The oak I got was a 18" limb that was ripped from the main trunk. That guy was all of 36 inches. I wish that would have blown down.
It is nice to have a secure location and not have to worry about competition. I have another lot that has 20 or 30 ash that have been bugged that I can have as well. I don't know how long it will last once I cut it because that is a lot of wood. I have no intrest in selling it either. $150 a cord doesn't intrest me. Then it becomes work!

I find a dump trailer is a great thing for getting logs home. To unload just push a button. Just cut the logs to fit the trailer. Then cut them later when I get home and have time. It does require an extra trip to get the bobcat loader with grapple. But it is easy on the back. Picture is of a oak log. I had to cut in half to get into the trailer. 36" ID oak log 25 ft long. Heavy load!

Been There, Done That.. Grueling to say the least..

I recently hauled, as it turned out, 4 cords of red oak logs out of the woods and stacked it by the splitter, thinking it would be easier and faster. Turns out, it was a huge mistake on my part! What a PITA! When I cut it into rounds, they had to be moved right away so I could cut some more. The saw would cut in to other logs in the pile, rounds would pinch, man! I just don't see why anyone would haul em out that way! So much easier to buck them up in the woods and haul the rounds to the splitter.

Some of you guys have to drag them logs out of the woods by hand? Wouldnt the rounds be lighter and more manageable? How about when you get home? Now you have to get them off the trailer too! And then make a crossbuck so you can cut them, which means you gotta get them up on that! Absolutely makes NO sense to me~!

I must be missing something?

Ted

Everybody gets their own way of doing things. I, like you, have always bucked it up in the woods. We normally split there as well, just back the splitter down the log length on a big tree and throw to the sides. Keeps all the trash in the woods.When it's all split, back the truck down the same "path" and load from both sides.
85789d1231179664-mvc-024s-jpg

The only reason we change that system is if the weather, like this year, doesn't pan out. So much rain we can't get in with trucks without messing up everything so we chunked it up with mauls and wedges by walking in. That way it was all ready to haul when dry. We unload it in the barn and can split on rainy days.

MVC-024S_4.JPG

I can see doing the log thing if you have a deadline or processor. We worked a big job where a guy cleared his land and they had all the logs stacked in piles. HATED doing it as you were constantly sharpening chains and logs had dirt on them. Took WAY longer to clean the cut lines and sharpen than it should have. When it got cold mud was frozen on the logs and found it to be a royal pain. We turned down more work that they offered us.

We have the equipment to load and such but choose not to as it doesn't work for us. As they say, to each their own.

I find a dump trailer is a great thing for getting logs home. To unload just push a button. Just cut the logs to fit the trailer. Then cut them later when I get home and have time. It does require an extra trip to get the bobcat loader with grapple. But it is easy on the back. Picture is of a oak log. I had to cut in half to get into the trailer. 36" ID oak log 25 ft long. Heavy load!

Now that's a hunk a burning love right there mister! I'd be noodling for days!

I get them in log form because that is by far the easiest way to transport from my father-in-law's property. Two and a half cords on the trailer or a half cord in the truck - one trip versus five (actually six because the back of the truck is usually filled too.) The best part is that he brings it to me, though I've picked it up a few times also. The best way depends on what equipment you have - in this case a dump flatbed trailer:
attachment.php

Though he has been known to attach sides to it:
attachment.php

I get them in log form because that is by far the easiest way to transport from my father-in-law's property. Two and a half cords on the trailer or a half cord in the truck - one trip versus five (actually six because the back of the truck is usually filled too.) The best part is that he brings it to me, though I've picked it up a few times also. The best way depends on what equipment you have - in this case a dump flatbed trailer:
attachment.php

Though he has been known to attach sides to it:
attachment.php

how much for the laser shooting monster??

Latest posts

Back