Hauling Rounds on ATV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, a log arch or trailer (even one with high clearance) is simply out of the question for these areas. I'm looking for what kind of racks folks have used. I've already devised a set of metal framed/wood sided racks to fasten to both front and rear factory racks but want to see what others are doing so I can incorporate those ideas into the design. I've also developed a plan for canoe/ladder racks to drop into the rack frame.

What size dia. are you talking?
Would it be possible to make a trailer like a log arch with a high backbone utilizing receiver tube. The deck and side stakes would be above the tires and 10' logs loaded length wise. The walk beam axles could be pinned anywhere along the length of the back bone, five feet from the quad, or, ten feet to fifteen feet from the quad. Basically a deckover with a sliding log arch style hitch. The idea being to keep the quad out of the holes the same time the load is in one.
Talking 6" to 18" diameter rounds. Mostly 8-14" diameter.

12790854_157313817986735_7079656188205265964_n.jpg

Done this more than a few times when I don't have the little dump trailer with me. I'll even do this with the trailer if I have to haul the wood over a distance for less trips. 4-5 round trips is about a pickup load just tossed in the box. I do put sticks in the grab handles on the back rack to help keep the wood from shifting around. But if on slopes/hillsides/inclines I don't go as high.

View attachment 556636

Done this more than a few times when I don't have the little dump trailer with me. I'll even do this with the trailer if I have to haul the wood over a distance for less trips. 4-5 round trips is about a pickup load just tossed in the box. I do put sticks in the grab handles on the back rack to help keep the wood from shifting around. But if on slopes/hillsides/inclines I don't go as high.

How is the steering with that load on the front? I'm not an expert on various models of ATV, does that one have steering assist? My ATV, a 2002 Bombardier does not, and I would not relish rock hopping with an extra 100 lbs on the front, even for a half mile. On a trail, no problem, but with roots, rocks, gullys, logs, and the like that require crawling over, and deft steering around, I probably wouldn't try on mine.

Those are the only spots that oak grow anywhere around my cabin. And compared to burning aspen (or birch at best), burr oak is worth the extra work.
I can understand your willingness now. Other than making a monstrous rack extension for the front and rear to haul rounds on, I'm at a loss for ideas if you can't use a small trailer.

Depending on the year, make, and model there are some drop racks out there. Otter sled with a net over the top. You can pretty much pull one down a gravel at 60 if it has slide runners and it won't wear out. They make a straight hookup so it won't flex and tip. Otherwise your probably racking it out like Grizzly posted.

I've seen a picture somewhere, were buddy has beefed up his back rack and put a gooseneck style hitch and then taken a solid axle out of a 3 wheeler and then made a box like a live bottom floor trailer looked to be around 3ft wide narrowed to 2ft and 30 something inches long. This way if you had clearance on your quad you should have clearance on the trailer.

That sounds pretty cool.

My issue isn't clearance as much as it is fast changes in terrain. I have to go through a beaver flowage as well as a couple of cricks coming off hillsides. You literally go straight down one incline, through the mud and back straight up again. ATV has all that it can take to get through by itself so it couldn't do much pulling a trailer. Without those three spots I could take my Sears yard wagon back there.

If terrain is that bad id be worried about being too high center of gravity if i were to load atv with wood. Also if ypu barly get through empty may get real trick loaded.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

That sounds pretty cool.

My issue isn't clearance as much as it is fast changes in terrain. I have to go through a beaver flowage as well as a couple of cricks coming off hillsides. You literally go straight down one incline, through the mud and back straight up again. ATV has all that it can take to get through by itself so it couldn't do much pulling a trailer. Without those three spots I could take my Sears yard wagon back there.

I was going to recommend @GrizzlyAdams86 solution from above and offer up that I have done it that way a few times as well... Then I read this post about the terrain you are dealing with. Based on my several years worth of experience trying to carry/haul things I shouldn't be carrying/hauling on a fourwheeler, I would venture to guess you won't make it very far with splits strapped to the racks. Maybe you should move your house out to the oak trees :dizzy:

Any pics of this trail?

I am thinking that any trail you couldn't pull some kind of trailer through, and your ATV will barely make it through, won't be very safe to try with wood piled up on the racks.

A walking beam trailer is the answer for rough ground - but all trailer/tow vehicle combos do have their limits when it comes to hills & loss of traction. I have spun out a time or two with mine, with not much load on it - I have also been up on two wheels unexpectedly a time or two with not much weight on the racks. (I keep 2 saws, gas & oil on the front, and have a box/passenger seat on the back with all kinds of other stuff in it). If I was going to try wood on the racks, I would just solidly bolt a plastic tote on each rack, and start with small loads - at least the weight will gain you traction, and help keep the wheels on the ground going up & down hills, but the side to side pitches could bite you badly.

I agree that carrying on a 4 wheeler on steep terrain you wont get far. Perhaps you need to use a combination of the good ideas. Start with Trail improvement, drag logs to steep trails, winch across the steep trails then either drag or trailer from there. Burr Oak will make you figure it out, but I suspect now it's more of the challenge thrown at you, keep us up to date with your progress.

Let's look at time involved here, besides the time to cut/split/stack/ the wood on the racks of the 4wheeler pictured above how long will it take to get out to the drop site and back to the cutting site, realistically I would have to think 35-40minutes if the terrain is like you say. Add another 20minutes to c/s/s and unload the trailer and you're at minimum and hour per 4wheeler, and what can that haul, 1/5th Face Cord? 1/12th full cord at best? So it'll take 2 days going hard to get a full cord out? How much fuel is the wheeler/saws using?

Im always up for hard work and a challenge but I'd have to think in yhis situation getting a semi load hauled in would be the best way to go.

any chance you can get some 10 or 12 ft pallets out there and make up some little bridges? temporary solution. we do it in the one bush during the spring and fall to get over the one creek if not them you have to go right around the bush, a good 20 to 30 min ride on a ATV or UTV?

We have also used the the 4x4 pos stakes to secure a little bridge. but all depends on land owner and scenario. maybe snap up some photos for us?

Latest posts

Back