Hauling Wood As You Get Older...What Changes Have You Made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that I'm still strong enough to handle some good-sized rounds, but I have had hernia surgery related to hauling wood, so I have to be careful. Other than having your kids haul the wood for you, what have you done to facilitate the process? I'm planning on building a log arch, and I'd like to eventually buy a splitter and then modifying it with a log lift. I usually cut 48" pieces, carry them to the trailer (with or without help depending on the diameter) and haul them off the mountain. At home, I cut the 48" lengths in threes and split by with a maul. I do about 5-6 cords each year.

At home, I'm thinking about designing the splitter/lifter so I can lift the long pieces off the ground, cut them to length and continue to lift and then dump the three pieces one at a time onto the splitter.

Anyway, is it better to buy a splitter with a lift, or are there some out there that are easy to modify. As always, I'm trying to not sink too much money into this. I'd be interested in you thoughts. Thanks!

I never cut, split, stacked or burned wood until November of last year one week before my 62nd birthday.
Then I discovered and joined this forum. Then I scrounged wood, purchased logs, and burned 24/7.

Since I'm already "old", this whole lifestyle is a change - for the better.

I never cut, split, stacked or burned wood until November of last year one week before my 62nd birthday.
Then I discovered and joined this forum. Then I scrounged wood, purchased logs, and burned 24/7.

Since I'm already "old", this whole lifestyle is a change - for the better.
Good for you. I spent years having my 'natural' mojo sucked out of me by the computer screens I stared into 8-12 hrs per day 6-7 days per week. Nowadays, every exhausting day working in, sometimes against and sometimes with, nature reclaims a little of that lost mojo and some of the deepest, satisfied sleeps imaginable.

For all the advancements the human race has made, whilst grateful for many, I can't help but feel getting so far removed from our evolutionary dependence upon and connection with our natural environment, has been more of a regression for us than a sign of progress.

Sometimes my younger self laughs at my current, older self's 'borderline hippyist' ways, while my current self also chuckles at how much my younger self had yet to learn.

Last edited:
Let me preface by saying that I'm still strong enough to handle some good-sized rounds, but I have had hernia surgery related to hauling wood, so I have to be careful. Other than having your kids haul the wood for you, what have you done to facilitate the process? I'm planning on building a log arch, and I'd like to eventually buy a splitter and then modifying it with a log lift. I usually cut 48" pieces, carry them to the trailer (with or without help depending on the diameter) and haul them off the mountain. At home, I cut the 48" lengths in threes and split by with a maul. I do about 5-6 cords each year.

At home, I'm thinking about designing the splitter/lifter so I can lift the long pieces off the ground, cut them to length and continue to lift and then dump the three pieces one at a time onto the splitter.

Anyway, is it better to buy a splitter with a lift, or are there some out there that are easy to modify. As always, I'm trying to not sink too much money into this. I'd be interested in you thoughts. Thanks!

Well, I'm 58 and have cut firewood to heat my houses since I was 25, but with a 5 year "hiatus" from 35 - 40.

Here in Nevada and Utah I've primarily cut three species, Utah juniper, pinyon pine, and mountain mahogany. With a little Gambel's Oak thrown in for a few years.

I owned a splitter when I was cutting pinyon pine, as it was about impossible to split, but Utah juniper is real easy to split, and I sold the splitter years ago.

Anyway, I've almost always "bucked up" the wood into stove length chunks "in the field", and split them at home.

What I have purchased recently are a couple of 8" Timber Tongs which have been a godsend for saving my back when loading or otherwise handling firewood rounds. I have a holster for one tong which I carry while cutting which helps me handle logs, then I use the pair to transport stove length chunks to the truck. WOW, works good. I'd bet a pulp hook would really help too.

I like to go at a relatively slow pace, and I'm usually alone. I have about 7 cords of wood in my back yard. My wife and kids say, "Dad, we don't need anymore wood!!" I keep cutting though, because it keeps me healthy and in shape!!

Take care and keep cutting!

I just added a Tractor to the tool box. My knees are gone at 32 and I needed to do something to help with the heavy lifting and moving. The tractor will help get the large chunks up on the splitter.

Built a splitter with a lift, and yard truck with a dump, and a dozer with a winch. Just gotta find a few youngin's that wanna work :laugh:

I like to think I am still in my prime, but there are more often times where I would have perhaps tackled a tree with a truck and wheelbarrow and now I just go get a piece of equipment. The bending and lifting is good for you, but diesel and steel makes life a lot easier.

X2 tractor with grapple and processior. skip the hole chainsaw cutting and log splittler this will save alot on the body its what i did

Noodle Cut...

I gave up trying to lift 150+ lb logs onto the tailgate. Best bet is to noodle cut them in half and save your back. I bought a 25" bar and chain for the big puppies, and my MS 361 chews them up nicely.

Crotchwood is a PITA anyway, and noodle cutting the crotch in half saves the splitter as well. I also stopped maul splitting a few years ago. Needless to say, my back troubles have subsided for awhile.

Aging is relentless. You cannot fight it, but you can ease the pain by reducing the load.;)

As I get older, turning 65 next year, I am thankful each year that I can still grab the saws, the tractor and splitter and go chase wood. Will not be a happy day when I need to stop. In view of this, I do whatever I can to keep these years of wood work/play coming. During the off season, I walk and hike to try and keep myself in some degree of good condition. To help with the wood processing, I updated my tractor to a larger size and last week traded in my splitter for one with a lift. With the cost of my saws, tractor and splitter, my wife says we could have spent the rest of our winters together in Hawaii. She is correct but I would much rather cut wood. I also try to find ways that make my cutting a little easier. This forum has been a great asset to me in finding these ideas. Thank you for this site. I also try to remind myself each day I cut to not get in a hurry, be safe, think, know when to stop for the day. Thanks for asking. Excellent question.

As I get older, turning 65 next year, I am thankful each year that I can still grab the saws, the tractor and splitter and go chase wood. Will not be a happy day when I need to stop. In view of this, I do whatever I can to keep these years of wood work/play coming. During the off season, I walk and hike to try and keep myself in some degree of good condition. To help with the wood processing, I updated my tractor to a larger size and last week traded in my splitter for one with a lift. With the cost of my saws, tractor and splitter, my wife says we could have spent the rest of our winters together in Hawaii. She is correct but I would much rather cut wood. I also try to find ways that make my cutting a little easier. This forum has been a great asset to me in finding these ideas. Thank you for this site. I also try to remind myself each day I cut to not get in a hurry, be safe, think, know when to stop for the day. Thanks for asking. Excellent question.

Excellent Post, Thanks!

I'll be 58 in January and I gotta say I am slowing down. Was a time when I would/could stay in the bush all day with no break, not anymore.
I cut about 12 cord this year taking it pretty easy with breaks every couple of hours.
Easiest way for me to cut is to get my wheeler up as close to the targeted tree as possible and cutting, splitting and piling in the trailer, then pulling it out of the bush. One step and easy to handle small pieces.
Have fun and good luck!

Great question and pt. During the oil embargo of the 70's my father said"Robert you'd better learn how to heat your butt with wood. You'll never be able to afford oil. He was right. I've been doing that ever since. Now I find myself in my 60's and say to myself " where the heck did all the time go!" It's amazing. I have a back that is missing 2 discs. Bone on bone. But I still keep going by the complete grace of God somehow. I just love it too much to quit. Always pretty much did it alone. But now it's different. I have you guys. Mahalo (thanks)

Great thread; I am glad to read about all these experiences and tips. Thanks all.

I'm just turning 48, and I'm becoming protective of my back. I've been down with back injuries enough to know that if I get hurt I could be out of action for a long time, and I just cannot afford the down time.

I can split with an axe for a long time, and I find it excellent exercise and I rarely get hurt doing it. But moving the wood is a different story. I'm lucky enough to be able to get all my wood from my own property, so now I've gone to splitting and stacking wherever I cut it - or at least close by. I just lay out some reasonably straight branches and make a temporary pile right there. This reduces the distance I have to move bigger pieces, and gets it drying ASAP. I often just let nasty crotches and stuff go, as it's not worth the trouble. The one year I borrowed a splitter I almost killed my back for real - just too much moving the wood around.

Still, I spent quite a few hours yesterday splitting some large white oak, and I had to move some large pieces up onto the short butt log I used as a platform. I sure could feel it in my lower back after a bit.

wood

the best thing i bought was a trailer no more tail gate lifts i roll the rounds in the trailer and on the tw6 with log lift the best thing you want when you get older good luck

I'm just turning 48, and I'm becoming protective of my back. I've been down with back injuries enough to know that if I get hurt I could be out of action for a long time, and I just cannot afford the down time.

I can split with an axe for a long time, and I find it excellent exercise and I rarely get hurt doing it. But moving the wood is a different story. I'm lucky enough to be able to get all my wood from my own property, so now I've gone to splitting and stacking wherever I cut it - or at least close by. I just lay out some reasonably straight branches and make a temporary pile right there. This reduces the distance I have to move bigger pieces, and gets it drying ASAP. I often just let nasty crotches and stuff go, as it's not worth the trouble. The one year I borrowed a splitter I almost killed my back for real - just too much moving the wood around.

Still, I spent quite a few hours yesterday splitting some large white oak, and I had to move some large pieces up onto the short butt log I used as a platform. I sure could feel it in my lower back after a bit.

Just a thought..... Do you use a weight lifters belt? I ALWAYS have a magnet belt on, and when I have to mess with heavy stuff I put a weight lifters belt on over the magnet one! Have had a bad back since '85 from lifting locust when I lived in Ohio. Use my splitter in the vertical sitting on a big round. Pull logs over with a three pronged rake.

Just turned 60 last month. When the lady of the house asked if I had a nice birthday, I told her any day I get to run a TRACTOR AND A CHAINSAW is a GOOD DAY.

Got to agree on the low trailer to reduce lifting and the bigger saw to noodle.

I do seem to spend more time setting on the tailgate just resting and soaking up the great outdoors. Life is good.

I do seem to spend more time setting on the tailgate just resting and soaking up the great outdoors. Life is good.
Shh! You're not supposed to tell about that part - this is just darn hard work as far as anyone else is concerned. Gotta stick to the story or they might catch on.

Back