Have I been tuning saws wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar969

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay so I have a couple project saws that I have been working on. After I rebuild the car I usually turn the L and H screw out 1.5 cause want too rich instead of lean and I usually turn the idle screw two turns out. Again this is after complete rebuild so I have no idea where idle screw was. once saw runs I set the high till it blurps if it shuts off after letting go of wot then the l needs to be set lean a little. Then after L and H are set I adjust the idle.

My concern from a friend is that the idle crew being out two turns may cause saw to be too lean? I would think not but figured I would ask everyone?

After your intial H&L setting of 1-1.5 turn in idle at least an additional turn or two.
Start saw, chain will be turning.
Turn L in to achieve highest rpm, then back off L 1/8 of a turn or so.
Back off idle screw till chain just stops turning.
Check for quick trigger response. If saw bogs, open L till it doesn't.
Repeat all of above if necessary.
Once satisfied with L adjustment, lean H to correct rpm.
Adjust idle speed if necessary.

Okay so sounds like two turns out is good enough for idle screw for me to adjust l and h then I can adjust idle screw after l and h are set. So I think I have been good!

Okay so once I have the l set I should turn the idle in a little to see what highest rpms are? Usually I dont and just let the saw go and if the chain moves at idle then I just turn the screw out a little then hit it at wot and see if chain moves again at idle.

Okay so once I have the l set I should turn the idle in a little to see what highest rpms are? Usually I dont and just let the saw go and if the chain moves at idle then I just turn the screw out a little then hit it at wot and see if chain moves again at idle.
No, once your L setting is ok, its only necessary to adj the idle screw to obtain an rpm where the chain doesn't turn and the saw doesnt stall.

trust me when i say this (most won't) 98% of AS tune wrong lol in every single vid, every single descibed tuning prodedure guys are way way way in the safe zone. not a joke either. their saw so they can run it as they wish. i like usable saws myself.

trust me when i say this (most won't) 98% of AS tune wrong lol in every single vid, every single descibed tuning prodedure guys are way way way in the safe zone. not a joke either. their saw so they can run it as they wish. i like usable saws myself.
You know I do tune on the safe side most of the time. However I've inspected saws I run harder and more lean, and without a doubt I see more marring than when tuned on the safe side. But what do I know I'm a PSP.[emoji106]

But yeah in most videos the saws are pig rich, but that's alright.

You know I do tune on the safe side most of the time. However I've inspected saws I run harder and more lean, and without a doubt I see more marring than when tuned on the safe side. But what do I know I'm a SPS.[emoji106]

But yeah in most videos the saws are pig rich, but that's alright.

I'm a good year kind of guy. I'd rather run a saw lean making power for a year then rich for 5 years as a slug. All this more fuel make s more power BS brought on by a few culls guys follow is BS. The ultimate tune regardless of how much fuel it takes is what the saw runs efficiently at and makes more power. Do I open the high speed up another 1/8 of a turn because someone said more fuel makes more power? What a joke! I've ran ALOT of saws ported by many different people. Doesn't matter if you are the best porter on earth, if you tune rich you lose lol simple as that.

I'm a good year kind of guy. I'd rather run a saw lean making power for a year then rich for 5 years as a slug. All this more fuel make s more power BS brought on by a few culls guys follow is BS. The ultimate tune regardless of how much fuel it takes is what the saw runs efficiently at and makes more power. Do I open the high speed up another 1/8 of a turn because someone said more fuel makes more power? What a joke! I've ran ALOT of saws ported by many different people. Doesn't matter if you are the best porter on earth, if you tune rich you lose lol simple as that.
Well yeah. I don't know anyone that says too rich is good for power, too lean doesn't work well either. I've tuned saws for cutting cookies, that quickly loose powder in a real log. But I'm not a Superman logger, so I'm no good at tuning a saws.[emoji8]

Well yeah. I don't know anyone that says too rich is good for power, too lean doesn't work well either. I've tuned saws for cutting cookies, that quickly loose powder in a real log. But I'm not a Superman logger, so I'm no good at tuning a saws.[emoji8]

There are some who have moved on with that mentality. There are some build threads on here where the builder suggests a tune below stock spec! I don't think I need to say who. Lol 98% of loggers super or not tune wrong. A guy needs to understand the engine before he can properly tune it.

There are some who have moved on with that mentality. There are some build threads on here where the builder suggests a tune below stock spec! I don't think I need to say who. Lol 98% of loggers super or not tune wrong. A guy needs to understand the engine before he can properly tune it.
Most of the guys I know that do port work send saws out rich, as many who buy ported saws are, let's just say tuning handicapped.

I really can't stand a misfiring engine. I try tobtune on the edge of 4-stroking when I lift. Of course I'm no pro and my saws are all cheap junk.

i used to tune a touch overly safe but nothing like i see here. now i tune on the edge which is what i call efficient. pick up some others saws and i don't understand how they even use the damn things. would rather have a properly tuned stock saw then a crazy rich ported saw.

I tune the H to 4 stroke when I lift pressure in a cut, then I tune the L so that I like how it revs, then set the idle to where I want it.
Retard?
or just depends?
Srry Jon, I couldn't resist that one.
Of cource I'm talking about the low jet:yes:
and not the method.
Interesting! thanks for sharing.
Guy would have to a bit of experience to do it that way. At the end of the day if the response is there and it's starts right away when warm then it's good to go.

Retard?
or just depends?
Srry Jon, I couldn't resist that one.
Of cource I'm talking about the low jet:yes:
and not the method.
Interesting! thanks for sharing.
Guy would have to a bit of experience to do it that way. At the end of the day if the response is there and it's starts right away when warm then it's good to go.

ah, the four stroking exorcist. funny you should show up in this thread. how's life buddy? post a vid of your 372 to show what a properly tuned saw sounds like :cheers:

I always sniff these and the 372 threads out for some reason..lol . ..Sometimes I post sometimes not.
Hey man...I never left north Island, I'm still in McNeil. it's been stormy and rain everyday. The power from Woss north has been out all day, Transmission line broke and it was to windy to fly the line to find the break. Yeah just came back on. I'm pulling the pin and going North for the winter, come back in the spring. Going off to do my level 3 and then should be freeze up by them. Seen enough rain for a while.
So how's things? You doing anymore cutting for the coast season?

Latest posts

Back