Have to buy a 2007 model chipper because of CA law, want opinon on Vermeer bc1000xl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the odds you'll get discovered? 1 in 100. If you get discovered what are the odds you'll have to actually pay the fine....get a lawyer etc. I'd say don't worry about it. It's the equivalent of self insuring.

I agree. Move to one of the free states. How does the system work there? Do they test your exhaust, or the machine just has to be a certain age or what?

HP, and if its on the list of dirty burner motors, must be aproved by CARB (California Air Research Board) .....its just stupid though, they made my friend shut down his chipper, he had to sell it out of state for 9K, and had to go and buy a new bandit for 55K...about took his buisness down...:msp_mad:

HP, and if its on the list of dirty burner motors, must be aproved by CARB (California Air Research Board) .....its just stupid though, they made my friend shut down his chipper, he had to sell it out of state for 9K, and had to go and buy a new bandit for 55K...about took his buisness down...:msp_mad:

I Googled "California Air Research Board" looking for that information and I found nothing about having to get rid of your old equipment. I know none of this affects me in New York but I want to be ready to fight if they even think of starting that kind of #### here. So where is it written?

I Googled "California Air Research Board" looking for that information and I found nothing about having to get rid of your old equipment. I know none of this affects me in New York but I want to be ready to fight if they even think of starting that kind of #### here. So where is it written?

This what my friend told me, I will look it up and see what I can find

Oh, and some info I got from Matt at California Tree Equipment when I bought my used bandit from them here in CA

What it comes down to is that when your registration is up, they wont let you re-register it....thats what happened to my tree buddy's chipper

Last edited:
This what my friend told me, I will look it up and see what I can find

Oh, and some info I got from Matt at California Tree Equipment when I bought my used bandit from them here in CA

What it comes down to is that when your registration is up, they wont let you re-register it....thats what happened to my tree buddy's chipper

Did that Matt guy give you any kind of a deal on that Bandit? Their prices are looking on the high side, aren't they?

Register it? Like put plates on it? We don't have to do that either here. No plates on a towable piece of equipment like stump grinders or chippers, only trailers. Do you have to go through this bull#### for a tractor, skidsteer, dozer, etc?

It's kind of odd how the state with the largest population taxes the most and charges the most for regs and that kind of thing.

Stick an old cheap sub 50hp motor in it to get the rego, (I doubt they will ask to see it being run, just want to know the manufacturers specs) and then put the old motor back for the rest of the time.

And there are a few ways to make one engine look like another, especially if the engine box is locked down and there are carefully choosen access panels that give only limited view of the engine.

Last edited:
Register it? Like put plates on it? We don't have to do that either here. No plates on a towable piece of equipment like stump grinders or chippers, only trailers. Do you have to go through this bull#### for a tractor, skidsteer, dozer, etc?

Yep, got plates on mine..

Did that Matt guy give you any kind of a deal on that Bandit? Their prices are looking on the high side, aren't they?

FTA, didnt get any kind of deal, but got a real nice chipper, took me forever to find this used bandit model 90 (CARB exempt)

Dealing with Matt went smooth, easy transaction.

Back