have you ever been asked to sign a "RELEASE, INDEMNIFICATION, AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT" ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erwin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
there is always the 1st time for anything. After 15 years of in this business, only running my business by referral or word of mouth. Today, I was asked by a HO to this a legal form. Assuming that they're just trying to protect themselves from possible tree work related injury on their property. Still full weired about it since my business model is built on trust. Do you guys run into this often? Erwin

I was asked that by a property management company for snow plowing so they would be responsible if someone slipped from my lack of proper salt application but never by a homeowner or in the tree side. That is weird, do you carry full insurance?

Sure, it's pretty standard when I've bought timber. A CYA for the property owner.

Every job we do we have to provide documentation of everything.
Smart HO there,,,if you are not insured, you could sue him for any accident that happened during the work. He as a HO is the "General Contractor" so to speak. He is liable.
Jeff

I would not sign anything. Just show them the insurance proof.
Some peoples they go gaga with thinks like this. If is not good for them the proof, find somebody who willing to sign.

Curious how much weight paperwork like that would hold up im Court. Guess it depends on the Judge.

How big is the job? A timber sale we might be on the land a year or longer. Current one we've been working for 3 years. so I'd guess not quite the same as you cutting down a few trees in a day.

How big is the job? A timber sale we might be on the land a year or longer. Current one we've been working for 3 years. so I'd guess not quite the same as you cutting down a few trees in a day.

Ha, I had a lady give me this routine over trimming one Jap Maple off the house with a pole saw. I did not take the job.

there is always the 1st time for anything. After 15 years of in this business, only running my business by referral or word of mouth. Today, I was asked by a HO to this a legal form. Assuming that they're just trying to protect themselves from possible tree work related injury on their property. Still full weired about it since my business model is built on trust. Do you guys run into this often? Erwin

While you may, in fact, be going through a hassle with a (possibly) litigious HO, the same does not apply on bigger jobs for corporations. On those jobs, I routinely have to fill out those legal forms, and it's no big deal. The bigger bucks come with more paperwork. In the case of this HO, I'd probably walk, if she wasn't cool after seeing my $2M GLC cert.

FWIW, a business "built on trust" is a lawyer's delight since those types of businesses get sued by litigious folks, who prevail, a good deal of the time. As my folks taught me, at only ten years old: Get it in writing, or don't do it! I've been writing contracts, ever since. Over fifty years later, I've NEVER lost a court case, including those that I brought.