Have you noticed more wood heating?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turnkey4099 said:
Well, the usual people are busy burning down their houses through stupidity...

The local "jury-rigging" expert told me someone paid him $100 to install a chimney for a new wood stove they bought. And he said he took them to a local store to buy the pipe.

Local stores only sell single-wall stove pipe!

So I know the work was not done to code in any way, shape, or form. This guy does not read installation manuals, etc. and would not know what a building code was if his life depended on it.

So somewhere around here is a house waiting to burn down, and insurance will not cover the loss because the work was not done to code, inspected, then inspected by the insurance company.

So somewhere around here is a house waiting to burn down, and insurance will not cover the loss because the work was not done to code, inspected, then inspected by the insurance company.

Not really Look at all thru the years of single wall chimneys , from stove pipe to Drilling casings, Houses did not burn up as much. You can survive many years with a single wall ya just have to use commen sence about the deal , Keep it clean, Dont go leaving the drafts hanging wide open , Burn seasoned wood ,

C&KLawncare said:
Not really Look at all thru the years of single wall chimneys , from stove pipe to Drilling casings, Houses did not burn up as much. You can survive many years with a single wall ya just have to use commen sence about the deal , Keep it clean, Dont go leaving the drafts hanging wide open , Burn seasoned wood ,

Why do you think the code came to be...just to peeve the hillbillys?

Well code or no code one good chimney fire and that double wall crap is usless , it has to be replaced. i just spent over 1,000.00 on the crap and belive me i cant see where it is any more safer than a drill casing or stove pipe , heck you could build your own double wall if you had a supply handy of the insulation they use . 38 Inch section 150.00 Now if that is not a money making racket i dont know what is

Why do you think the code came to be...just to peeve the hillbillys?

I know why the same reason we have every warning lable under the sun , the goverment wants to control folks as much as they can , and Other people cant take the responciablity of thweir own actions , That was proved with Katrina all the ????ed whining about the gov didnt do this they didnt do that. Bull???? time to stand on your own two feet ,

Masonary tile lined chimney--$1000.00
Heavy free standing stove,
5/16" plate steel with fire brick---$500.00
045 Stihl supper chain saw-----$500.00
Hell, I am in this woodburner already $2000.00, and these prices are from 1980, but this year my equal pay from the gas company is $22.00 a month. This includes hot water also. I have a $158.00 dollar credit from last year that the gas company is hoping I use this winter. They sure as hell don't want to have to give it back to me. In talking with others in the area about there heating costs for simular homes, they are running $80.00 to $100.00 a month. Insulation is the cheapest fuel and not all homes are insulated equal. I have never figured out the math that close but if I save on the average of $60.00 to $80.00 a month for approx 4 or 5 months, that figures to around $315.00 a year. With those rough figures that puts a payback at around 6 years. There are tons of other issues to take into consideration. It cost me another $2000.00 to do the wall in back of the stove in rock and a rock harth. But it sure made the room look good. Lots of comments on the rock and what about the increased value it made to the home. It was really nice to have the family home for Thanksgiving and they all like the heat. Everyone of them seemed to huddle around the stove. In short, if your going to burn a solid fuel, make sure the installation is right and never cut conners.

C&KLawncare said:
Well code or no code one good chimney fire and that double wall crap is usless , it has to be replaced. i just spent over 1,000.00 on the crap and belive me i cant see where it is any more safer than a drill casing or stove pipe , heck you could build your own double wall if you had a supply handy of the insulation they use . 38 Inch section 150.00 Now if that is not a money making racket i dont know what is

Yer talkin' in circles, boy. First you say that if you take care, there will be no chimney fire and you don't need the double wall. Then you complain that when you do have a chimney fire, it ruins the double wall.

Which is it, young feller?

Yer talkin' in circles, boy. First you say that if you take care, there will be no chimney fire and you don't need the double wall. Then you complain that when you do have a chimney fire, it ruins the double wall.

What im saying is the ones that dont take care are the usual ones for chimney fires anyway. But the double wall chimney stack may or may not save the place but after its over you still have to replace the chimney, Same as a mortar chimney, Same as any style chimney a fire and your done till you replace or reline, So the code for all this double wall this and that really beats a dead horse now dont it. I could set up a vid camra of a 12 hr shift of my chimney stack and , untill i toss on more wood or switch over to coal for a while , a person would be hard pressed to see any amout of smoke out my flue , I burn as clean as i can , but yet i see chimneys around me just boiling out smoke all hours of the day , One good hot one and theirs going to be one hell of a creosote fire , Why Because their to ignorant to open up the draft anf let the wood burn. Smoke equals wasted fuel . No matter how you look at it .

A chimney fire is not necessarily the end of a chimneys life. I've even shot water down masonry chimneys without cracking the liner. I don't recommend it, but...

The double walls that I'm familiar with are stainless steel. I have yet to see a failure in one of them.

But that's not something you should have to worry about.

Many building codes are in place because there has been a loss of life somewhere. May not have happened where you live, but it happened somewhere!

What typically happens is; say a family with small children will die in a house fire. Then the cause of the fire is found. Next there is "public outrage" that this could be allowed to happen, and people think "something should be done to prevent something like this from happening again in the future".

Or it could be a nightclub fire where many are killed. Or a hotel file.

Building codes are then changed to hopefully prevent these disasters from happening again.

So in general, building codes are there to prevent loss of life or loss of property.

Note it is the loss of *your* life/property and *your* family's life/property and the life/property of someone who may purchase your home in the future which these building codes protect!

Back