Having trouble starting Stihl 880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary1D

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm new on this site. I'm currently back from West Africa where I live in a rain forest and have access to a lot of good wood. I've used Stihl 090s in the past for chain saw milling. A year ago I invested in two Stihl MS780 (same as 880 in the US) power heads to mill lumber. But from the very beginning I've had a ***** of a time starting these engines. Initially I unboxed them and started both of them. Next day, I set up my Alaskan mill, but only one engine would start. So I modified my set up to use the one engine and get started. Eventually I got the second engine started too.
When I finished the tree I was sawing, I put the mill away for a couple months. Ready again to say, then the first engine would not start. The second engine that wouldn't start at first started and I ended up sawing another tree using the 2nd engine. Wait a couple months again, and neither engine starts!
I can squirt gas down the carburetor throat and the engine starts for a couple of seconds and then dies when the gas runs out. So it's getting spark. I even replaced a carburetor without success. But not one but both these saws refuse to start. I've gotten fresh gas from the refining company and also stabilized it. Cleaned the tank vents.
For years back in the 80's I used two Stihl 090s and never once had any issues starting them. I'm leaning on believing there is an issue with the carburetor on these saws. Has anyone else had similar issues and what did you do to resolve them?

Attachments

• IMG_20220512_110723_766.jpg
    IMG_20220512_110723_766.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Hello, have you tried tweaking the settings on the carburator low speed screw ?
I had this issue after porting the exhaust of a Stihl 088, I forgot to adjust the carb and the saw would not start. After it eventually started (after quite a lot of pulls...), it would die unless I maintained pressure on the throttle.

Even with a stock saw, that should not require a setting as rich as mine, this may be something to try

Flavien

Back