Hawken boiler leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakotarnk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My neighbor has a hawken boiler that is on its second season and is now leaking to the point that it can not be used, The company that he bought it from is not helping him out. He was told to unhook the unit and bring it to michigan( 14 hours away) and they would look at it, They told him that they will need to have sample of water to test. Is this normally the way warranty is done? He has always used the chemical he was told to, even if he would not of used the chemicals would it
rust out in two years.

Seems to be a problem with Hawken stoves, I'm on my 5th year with mine, no problems yet.
I keep my fingers crossed.
I have the stainless one.
And I do use their chemicals, and get a water every year.

What is the normal procedure for this kind of problem, The company is telling him that he had corrosive water in it. sounds kinda like they are trying to get out of fixing this thing. Thats the thing about alot of the warranties on these things, they make it so tough to get it warrantied that one just gives up and fixes it themselves. I know that I am happy everytime I go to fill my Aqua Therm that I dont have the problems he has. I would recommend Aqua Therm to anybody, Great product and great company.

send a private message to the member that goes by HawkQuest and ask him to read this thread and respond.

That doesn't make sence, if the water was corrisive (acidic) it would have shown up in the water sample results. If that is the case and no adjustments made to the water condition I think he will have a hard time getting any kind of warrenty. Just curious is his boiler mild steel (hawken) or stainless (global hydronics)?

If your water was bad enough to eat your owb .Why won't it mess with copper pipes

The hawken is mild steel, I have known this man for many years and if he says he has always used the correct additive and did the water tests ,you can be sure he did. He is getting the run around on this. Its only 2 years old and he has the same rural water that i have. I have never had any problems with my 23 year old aqua therm and I am terrible about checking the water. This should be under warranty. They are not telling him its not warranty, Just making it very hard and expensive to get. He also has no promise that it will be warranty after he spends a thousand dollars or so to get it back to them, Yea real nice warranty.

Hawken warranty

This company has what appears to be a complete warranty. Hopefully they have someone that reads this forum...

6. Warranty
How long is your warranty?

Many outdoor wood furnace companies are embarrassed of all the loopholes and tricky legal language they use. For example, one company boasts a "25-Year Limited Warranty," but when you read their fine print, they limit their coverage to only 10 years on the firebox! The firebox is the most critical component. The Hawken "Industry Best" 20-year warranty does not limit warranty coverage of the firebox – the firebox is covered for the entire 20-year warranty period.

A warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it. We back our products not only with the "Industry Best" Hawken 20-Year Warranty, but also with the commitment from Hawken to stand behind your entire furnace package – including all parts and components. You will never find a Hawken customer who is unhappy that they purchased a Hawken furnace!

See your Owners Manual for complete warranty details.

This company has what appears to be a complete warranty. Hopefully they have someone that reads this forum...

6. Warranty
How long is your warranty?

Many outdoor wood furnace companies are embarrassed of all the loopholes and tricky legal language they use. For example, one company boasts a "25-Year Limited Warranty," but when you read their fine print, they limit their coverage to only 10 years on the firebox! The firebox is the most critical component. The Hawken "Industry Best" 20-year warranty does not limit warranty coverage of the firebox – the firebox is covered for the entire 20-year warranty period.

A warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it. We back our products not only with the "Industry Best" Hawken 20-Year Warranty, but also with the commitment from Hawken to stand behind your entire furnace package – including all parts and components. You will never find a Hawken customer who is unhappy that they purchased a Hawken furnace!

See your Owners Manual for complete warranty details.

That warranty sounds great, lets see if they back it up.
They should replace the furance if it's only two years old.

I think I see the loophole, I dont beleive it is the firebox that is leaking. It looks like it is leaking on the water jacket running down the back side, It dosnt get wet in the firebox. The company had the nerve to tell him to bring it back and they will give a good deal on another boiler.

my friend had a global that we spent more than 50 hours welding on last fall good luck with your neighbors all i can say is get a good mig welder and grinder and get busy

There are a few Global/Hawken bashers in this forum and it seems they might be the same person with different names?

call out Hawkquest,he claims to be the owner /president of Hawken.

I have to say mine has been working great 3 winters and running. To be honest I would not have a hawken today had I found this website sooner. I was hoping that the mild steel boilers weren't going to have the leaking problems. With that said dealing with hawken has been a positive one thus far.

Good to hear you have had a good experience , I am sure hawken is no different then any of the comapanies, some good , some bad. What is the normal procedure for getting warranty done, do all companies want the unit back at their facility. What makes sense to me would be hire someone local and reimburse them. I am sure these companies know what a repair should cost so I dont think a local welder could rip them off if all the proper estimates where done before any work. It just sounds like hawken is trying to get out of fixing this. I bet that when they get this unit opened up they will find a bad weld and not corrosion. I would think you could run the worst water known to man in this thing and it would not corrode out in 2 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back