Hawken GX10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laird

Nemo me impune lacessit
Reaction score
I see where Hawken has just come out with a new Phase 2 wood burner. Probably too soon for anyone to have seen one, but I'd like to hear their impression if someone does.

Gx10

Seen the GX10 at Paul Bunyan Show in Ohio. Inside looks just like the Empyre Pro stove that was just a couple couple booths down. I went back and forth a couple times and had a hard time telling the difference. (anyone know who makes the stove for Hawken?) Hawken guy said it is NOT phase II yet they do not have test results. One thing. It was a lot cheaper than all the other phase II stoves at the show. Not sure why. I'm considering replacing mine but not sure about Hawkens yet. That's why I'm doing some internet research on them. There were a lot of stove dealers at the show so it was worth my time to go. The Empyre guy had his Pro stove burning and it was pretty impressive. No smoke at all. It was more expensive than the Hawken but they've been building it for 4 years they said. Anyone have any good or bad experience with Hawken or Empyre?

i'm going into my 3rd season with my empyre pro 200...I do not have one bad thing to say about it...works great the troubles that i've encountered threw my first yr...were due to my own faults...but a few quick phone calls to profab which they always answer there phone and trouble shot what i was doing wrong and bam life was good...It took me forever to pull the trigger on the pro200 i kept going back and forth between eclassic and a few others...i guess for me the decieding factor was the ease of use on the pro200 and lack of moving parts...and of course the ease of cleaning out the tubes didnt hurt either...first couple of time it took me forever to do the monthy cleaning but with experence now bout 7mins and i'm back in the house...love it on here or on ********** i've got pics of my install and pics of my neighbors and mine in full burn and mines not smokin at all...he has an empyre first gen. feel free to pm or email if ya wanna chat about them....Hoogie

I'm on my 4th season with a Hawken HE-1100 and think its great. Indiana now requires Phase 2 for all new installs and I will be moving in a few years, so I'm looking at the GX10. I'm also interested in the price.

Hawken GX10 is about $6,800. I called today and they said they passed the EPA 2 tests with flying colors. I have a friend who has ordered one but it hasn't shipped yet. Hawken said they have a couple hundred ordered.

Comparing the Hawken Energy GX10 to the very similar Empyre Pro 200.

What I have found to date regarding the comparison. I was a dealer for both products.

GX10 vs. Pro 200

.14 lbs/million BTU output vs. .27 lbs/million BTU output
20 year warranty vs. 10 year warranty
Electromagnetic Solenoid opening to firebox vs. Fan forced mechanical flapper to firebox
2 heat exchangers and catalytic converter vs. Heat exchanger
Based and Made in the USA vs. Canadian company that makes units in Canada, Mexico and Tennessee

I have seen the GX10 having the best dealer and consumer prices by far in the entire industry. Hawken Energy also has a complete line of parts and installation kits for any instance.

At this time, I would lean towards the GX10 as best overall value and I am a big proponent for made in the USA!!

Hawken and Global Hydronics

Hey Beerman,

I know the owners at Hawkens - they live in Michigan. Before they started making their own units, the distributed Global. They have been making the HE and now GX in Michigan. The MI welders are great as well. Some of the best metals craftsmanship I have seen. The owners are a family team that have been in the USA for several generations.

Just wanted to answer your questions. Plenty of great Canadians out there, I just prefer to keep the jobs in America - especially now.

Take Care!!

Saw the GX

I see where Hawken has just come out with a new Phase 2 wood burner. Probably too soon for anyone to have seen one, but I'd like to hear their impression if someone does.

I saw it and like it alot. Well made, works great, nice refractory in the upper and lower chambers. I think this unit is the best bang for the buck in gasification OWB.

Pro 200 vs EClassic

i'm going into my 3rd season with my empyre pro 200...I do not have one bad thing to say about it...works great the troubles that i've encountered threw my first yr...were due to my own faults...but a few quick phone calls to profab which they always answer there phone and trouble shot what i was doing wrong and bam life was good...It took me forever to pull the trigger on the pro200 i kept going back and forth between eclassic and a few others...i guess for me the decieding factor was the ease of use on the pro200 and lack of moving parts...and of course the ease of cleaning out the tubes didnt hurt either...first couple of time it took me forever to do the monthy cleaning but with experence now bout 7mins and i'm back in the house...love it on here or on ********** i've got pics of my install and pics of my neighbors and mine in full burn and mines not smokin at all...he has an empyre first gen. feel free to pm or email if ya wanna chat about them....Hoogie

I think the Pro 200 vs the eclassic was a smart move. I think Classic is more hype then quality. Thats just my opinion.

Puzzled GX10 Owner

What is the sq footage of the home?

How far from home is unit located. (ie how long is your piping loop?)

Gx10

The house is approx 1600 sq ft and insulated ok. Not terrible but not great. There is 60 ft of underground between the stove and house. I have taken temp readings and only lose 1 degree from the back of the stove to my heat exchanger.

The house is approx 1600 sq ft and insulated ok. Not terrible but not great. There is 60 ft of underground between the stove and house. I have taken temp readings and only lose 1 degree from the back of the stove to my heat exchanger.

Sounds like it should be an easy fix. Call Hawken Energy and ask to speak to Joe (the NE territory mgr), he will help you troubleshoot the solution. Call when you can be at the stove.

It sounds like you have a gasser that needs a good cleaning. If you are not getting good gassification you are either not getting enough air or your wood is too high in moisture content.

Have you tried the outdoorwoodburner forum? Its exclusively people that own OWB's and very helpful.

if this gx10 is anything like my pro200, i had similar problems stove looked clean on the inside the problem was the air holes goin to the secondary burn chamber were clogged up. the only way that you could tell was by shoving a plate down them to clean them out, check there if your set up is similar. Like i said that was something that i ran into my first yr of burning...sounds like hawkens could help ya out a bit course theres enough on that company on these boards that i dont think id touch them with a ten foot pole...just my opion...hoogie

Latest posts

Back