head gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Petzl Vertex Best helment is the best choice. Very comfortable and electrically safe, just add a sweat band in the forehead area. Be Safe.

Stilh Foresty Helment System, get rained all day with saw dust doing crane work as an operator, also works very well when standing on the stubs and making body cuts with the saw above your head. Good system, however I think me next hard hat will be the Peltoe Lumberjack System. My Stihl is pretty well broken up after just 2 years. With the Peltor you replace just the parts you need as they breake or wear out.:dizzy:

treeguy020 said:
Petzl Vertex Best helment is the best choice. Very comfortable and electrically safe, just add a sweat band in the forehead area. Be Safe.
Electrically safe? Like if you push a high voltage powerline with your head? Funny, funny, I wear a hardhat with muffs and a screen. You never have to look for ear or eye protection when you put it on, the best reason for them. I think helmets look dorkish, are you a treeguy or a rock climber? The hardhat combo deal is the way, also those chinstraps I always see along with helmets are super dork looking, by thats just my opinion.

clearance said:
Electrically safe? Like if you push a high voltage powerline with your head? Funny, funny, I wear a hardhat with muffs and a screen. You never have to look for ear or eye protection when you put it on, the best reason for them. I think helmets look dorkish, are you a treeguy or a rock climber? The hardhat combo deal is the way, also those chinstraps I always see along with helmets are super dork looking, by thats just my opinion.

got a pic of how super cool you look with your combo hardhat?:jester:

Yeah hard hat and screen with ear muffs. It looks cool on removals. But on pruning it ain't so glamorous.

Petzl Vertex Vent with Stihl earmuffs and visor attached. The chin strap is there to stop your helmet falling off if something knocks it or as was with me yesterday, climbing around a tree with tons of sucker growth from past storms, every twig was trying to grab it off my head!

Last edited:
I use the Husky Arborist helmet its very popular over here. Personly i find it really hot and clumbersom. I want a Petzl Vertex vent but its nerly 3 times the price of the standard Husky hard hat with visor and ear defenders. If you buy just the hat can you add in the visor and ear defenders from another hard hat?

If you spend the $$ for the Vertex get the vented one. I've got the unvented and It sure seems alot hotter than my old beat up Ecrin. Time to get the drill out.
Phil

Hardhat here with Peltor muffs and visor, just replaced the latter last Friday as the old one was kinda beat up(your point is a good one CraneOp1)I do have a strap for it on those rare occasions I need to hold it in place, but think if I was up a tree lots I would have a vented Vertex.

Little known point, hardhats have a lifespan of five years (or is it seven, gotta look up the reference), and need to be replaced after that point because the plastic has dried out to the point they no longer meet the safety standard, are more likely to shatter with impact instead of absord it.

I don't see how you all can actually climb a tree with muffs and a face mask flopping around on your heads. Talk about dorkish. The flying nun comes to mind.

I prefer helmets (like my Ecrin) because they are comfortable. You can barely tell its there. Safety glasses and some ear plugs keep me streamlined and moving faster.

Whatever works....the important thing is you are wearing PPE. There is something to be said for plugs on a hot day, those muffs cook your ears.

Downside of the ecrin and similar is cost, you can buy three good hard hats for the price of one of them, they are well over $100 here. But like I said, if it works and makes your job easier, why not, your head is worth it.

helmets

I just recently bought the vented vertex and wow what a good change. Less bulky than hardhat, lighter, more adjustable, still takes my standard ear and face protection (just clicks in like on hardhat), but the biggest improvement in my eyes is that the helmet will stay on should things get ugly. Think about it, your head is the most valuable bodypart you have. I know nobody expects to ever fall but if one did, that clunky hardhat would be the first ppe to be gone if you were to bounce around in the branches and hit the ground. So I'll just be one of those dorks with the chinstrap from now on:)

Yeah those rock climbing helmets sure look dorky.

Clint Eastwood looked quite the dork in the '70s movie "Eiger Sanction". His career went nowhere after that flick.

Perhaps the only thing that looks dorkier is a climber going out on a crowded limb-walk with one hand on his ropes while trying to keep his construction site designed hard hat on with the other. Are we climbers or construction workers?

As mentioned by many others, the Petzl Vertex allows clipping on standard muffs and screen combos, I find the Husky version much more stout that the easily destructible Peltors, but I leave the cups and screen on my good old hard hat for chipping and clean-up. There is a place for everything.

I climb with a vented Vertex, plugs, and tight wraparound safety glasses, mirrored glasses for bright days, yellow for added dorkoidalness on grey days.

Climb safe, and use whatever works in your job profile to keep you safe.

Who gives the slightest crap about how it looks, if it works and you're safe and productive, Eat It Up!

RedlineIt

I said the best reason for the hardhat/ear/facescreen combo is that the head/ear/eye protection is all in one package, easy. If you want to look like a dork, go right ahead, but don't forget your earplugs/muffs and glasses/goggles somewhere. Just like putting you pressure bandage in your hardhat, you alway know where it is.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
I use the Husky Arborist helmet its very popular over here. Personly i find it really hot and clumbersom. I want a Petzl Vertex vent but its nerly 3 times the price of the standard Husky hard hat with visor and ear defenders. If you buy just the hat can you add in the visor and ear defenders from another hard hat?

Yes you can, either the Stihl combo or husky combo, just check the attachment points will match

Clearance,

You're still carrying your bandage in your helmet?!

God, but you are old school.

Since as far back as 1989 helmet manufacturers have been telling us to get the first aid ???? out of our hats because it compromises the deflection they've engineered into the plastic.

???? dude, get that out of your hat.

And one other thing, who do you work with that they would forget their plugs or glasses?

Whatever, you work in your world, I work in mine.

ReddlineIt

Latest posts

Back