Headache Racks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know we have discussed this in the past but after looking around I was thinking I could make me a headache rack nicer...and cheaper...than if I bought one. What do you all think? I don't want something too clunky but it has to be stout enough to knock down an errantly tossed ash log.

Can you post a picture of your headache racks and speak of the pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

Here is a picture of my wood hauler who's back window I wish to protect.

attachment.php

Nice truck,, I thought the same thing.. I priced out a back-rack and it was close to $400.. I know I can build somethign for 1/2 the price. maybe add some lights too. I'd be interested in seeing what other guys and built too. I was thinking just 2 or 2.5" square tubing. I've seen guys use the diamond mesh but I'm not overally crazy about it.

I know we have discussed this in the past but after looking around I was thinking I could make me a headache rack nicer...and cheaper...than if I bought one. What do you all think? I don't want something too clunky but it has to be stout enough to knock down an errantly tossed ash log.

Can you post a picture of your headache racks and speak of the pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

Here is a picture of my wood hauler who's back window I wish to protect.

attachment.php

That is far too nice a truck for wood hauling. Park that thing in the drive and find a ratty old Chevy for hauling wood.....:cheers:

Might as well show mine again.

attachment.php

Made of .090 steel, laser cut and bent on a couple lunch breaks at my old job, and welded together at home and spray bombed.

Downsides, need access to some metal fab equipment, woulda painted it better if I had a nicer truck to put it on, a little visibility lost.

Upsides - plenty stout enough to stop whatever ya throw at it, and I do on a regular basis. I don't even try to be nice when tossing wood in there. Also I can safely say it's one of a kind!

The next one I make will likely be similar design, but perhaps powdercoated and I'll use tubing for the frame instead of formed channels, just to make it easier to build.

I do not have pictures but i am feeling the same way you are i would take some 2" pipe and bend or bevel and weld it to the shape of the top of the cab. Then get some heavy mesh and put on the back side, between the rack and the pipe (i think it looks better that way). Then you could make a mount to put your axe on a saw or even do hooks for chains

I used 2 inch by 3/4 rectangular tubing for the frame and 1 inch solid bar spaced every 3 inches for the main part. tube goes into the corner pockets to support it. Has held up really well. It's easy to see out of as well.

That is far too nice a truck for wood hauling. Park that thing in the drive and find a ratty old Chevy for hauling wood.....:cheers:

Agree. No matter how careful one is, the truck _will_ get dinged up. I started with a cherry 89 F150 (used) and it now looks like it should be in a junkyard. Scrapes, scratches, dents, bead dished in, tailgate badly dished, etc. etc., etc.

As for 'headache rack'. They really should be built as part of side racks, even if those racks are only 12" or less high. Serious 'wooding' will need racks.

Harry K

Might as well show mine again.

attachment.php

Where's the passthrough to get empties into the back? :confused:

I thought about getting one, but pretty much anytime I'm scrounging I have one of the trailers hooked up anyway. I generally reserve the bed for the saw and milk crate containing the chainsaw essentials.

Where's the passthrough to get empties into the back? :confused:.

Now you're making me feel like I have a 'problem'.

But I will admit that when I bought the headache rack, I did think about that when I had to decide whether or not to have the opening in the middle for the sliding window.

Anyway, Heres two pictures of mine with a load of pigbark hickory for next year.

I use it more to haul extension ladders and 16' scaffold boards, but it has definitely paid for itself (probably a few times over) when I've loaded stuff on top of the toolbox and fuel tank (tank not on here).

SANY0530.jpg

SANY0529.jpg

Last edited:
Ill take some pics of the ones I made at work. Maybe post tomorrow. I like them better than store bought but Id say they are better buy.:cheers:

Rooshooter - that's a cool truck - probably has a neat little 4 cyl diesel that our EPA won't let into the country - because it's clean without a bunch of firestarter crap that we have to put up with

chevys are made for going to church,,fords are made for working,,:cheers::cheers:

Start prayin pal - when my Chev goes to church - it's working. You can't buy a half ton Ford that will haul more than a sleeping bag. I won't bi...tch about the super dutys - they're nice trucks - except for the 6 liter POS - give me a Dmax any day!

Rooshooter - that's a cool truck - probably has a neat little 4 cyl diesel that our EPA won't let into the country - because it's clean without a bunch of firestarter crap that we have to put up with

Thanks Steve, It does the job & ur right 4 Cyl 2.5lt turbo diesel with no crap hanging off it. BTW I can put just over 1500Kg in it before it gets a bit light in the steering.

Laurie

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149158&stc=1&d=1283190714

A photo of the back rack on the Dodge. I have a little under $300.00 into it including the lights...if memory serves me. You can get them thru back rack for about $225.00 and then you have to buy the vehicle specific brackets. The nice thing is you don't have to drill any holes in the truck and they're pretty sturdy. I looked at building one to save a few bucks, but didn't think I could do as good of a job and figured I'd have a day or two into it and it still wouldn't be powder coated. I have a pic somewhere of my 10 year old rack on my Ford and it still looked great.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149159&stc=1&d=1283191495

Here's the one on the Ford after 10 years of salt, use, and abuse. I sold this back rack for $75.00 with the brackets so there are deals out there on Craigslist and in the paper. I took it off the Ford to mount to the Dodge, but found out all back racks are created equal for full size trucks, except for the super duties. The super duty racks are a few inches larger due to their cabs being a little taller.

I started using them (racks) on this Ford just for a good place to mount the plow lights and beacon so they wouldn't get destroyed. They have also saved me a few rear windows as well.

Well it took me a few days but here are some pics of trucks at work.
This is an S10 that my boss and I made back in 1999 when truck was new.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next is a 99 F250 that we did and used ideas and extra material from S10.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back