Headlamp Mafia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my first one in the 1970’s.Used 4 D cells on a belt pack, cord to the top… high tech and great then. Have a dozen or two of the cheap ones using a single AA bat. They are Ok. Bought a rechargable one a few years back, Great for work and pretty good spotlight and throw.
Just bought this rechargeable one on Amazon for $24 or so. Ribbon of LED. Not nearly as focused or spot for say hunting or seeing a street sign, but I really like for working. Wide pattern good peripheral. High and low, but only about 20% difference. Strobe, dubious value. Side spot light is no help to me. Decent spot and throw, but far enough back it reflects off glasses and is not usable for me. That said, I am going to order a few more and replace all the vehicle and working ones with this style.

Headlamp Rechargeable, Super...
That's either the one I just bought, or one very much like it. I often get home this time of year too late to feed the horses by daylight, and a couple of them get all stupid when you shine a bright light at them. This one is good for that - though I may have to turn my hat around because it does leave a spot down and in front of me kind of shaded. But very light, and a nice level of brightness.

I have about 8 different styles of headlamps, most are sam's club 3 pack ones, Xmas gifts. My favorite ones have a selectable spot and flood, as well as all on. Had a rechargeable one that was killer, but those buttons seem to wear out fast, or they are fragile and get broken.

Got a new one from Coast the HL45 has a super nice aluminum housing and really solid buttons on it. Does not have a spot feature but 400 lumens. Really nice light, not rechargeable but quality I haven't seen in a light in a long time.

I Have an old Cabela's headlamp with an incandescent bulb and green and red LEDs that's so old that the elastic is gone in the headband but it still works great and is always in the rotation.

Who else is part of the Headlamp Mafia, those who choose not to go inside when the sun goes down? I love being outside and hate to go in most nights til 9pm. Easy to do in the summer months but becomes more challenging in the winter months. Headlamps keep my hands free and able to keep on moving when the the sun goes down doing yard work, splitting wood, stacking wood, loading the boiler, delivering wood, the list goes on and on.

What do you use for a head lamp and what do you do at night wearing one?
I haven't had power to my house in 2 years following a terrible divorce so I kinda live outside most of the time lol. I have solar and a generator that I built a gasifier for that uses wood. Along with my diy wood stove I cut alot of wood this time of year and yes swing a 6lb maul with my headlamp on at night.

Who else is part of the Headlamp Mafia, those who choose not to go inside when the sun goes down? I love being outside and hate to go in most nights til 9pm. Easy to do in the summer months but becomes more challenging in the winter months. Headlamps keep my hands free and able to keep on moving when the the sun goes down doing yard work, splitting wood, stacking wood, loading the boiler, delivering wood, the list goes on and on.

What do you use for a head lamp and what do you do at night wearing one?
I've got lots of them and have for over 30 years.
Mostly cheaper battery ones. Recemtly used LED Eveready one.
All different stuff I do outside and sometimes they're good for indoor things like working under a cabinet or in back rooms indoors.
Mostly used for firewood, fixing cars, fishing, walking dog, etc.

I've got lots of them and have for over 30 years.
Mostly cheaper battery ones. Recemtly used LED Eveready one.
All different stuff I do outside and sometimes they're good for indoor things like working under a cabinet or in back rooms indoors.
Mostly used for firewood, fixing cars, fishing, walking dog, etc.
Yea I need to just glue one to my head as much as im using one

I think we are tied! 4 in the barn, 4 in the garage, 2 in the dump truck and 2 in the PU. Everything I have is rechargeable. I was buying one of my favorites on Amazon for $10 each and came with a car charger and 120v charger but can't seem to find them anymore. The are so-so comfortable but super bright. My favorite for comfort is a Husky headlamp but again no longer available. Lots good name brands to check you from you guys. I've been interested in an Led Lenser that looks super close to my Husky.
I bought a coast headlamp that is rechargeable, four brightness levels, 550 Lumens , it will last two hours when you use it on the high setting . You can also use batteries.

I have a USB rechargeable lithium ion LED headlamp that I like a lot. I use it every day to feed the OWB and lots of other activities. Wife got them for the kids a few years ago and I liked them so well she got me one the next week. Three Trees is the name on it and they are $13 on Amazon (ugh!)
Thanks for the info on the brand name and price . I know coast headlamps has a good selection on headlamps and they do carry rechargeable ones as well as battery.

Not a real good picture, but the log splitter has a 12v alternator large enough to run a big light bar mounted on a 8’ pole that screws into the splitter. I have a hard time quitting when the sun goes down. Split on into the dark. Picture is of the train. Truck pulling the trailer. Trailer pulling the log splitter.

Attachments

• 5BABB2F6-581B-44B0-B37B-786F24F7CFE6.jpeg
    5BABB2F6-581B-44B0-B37B-786F24F7CFE6.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 5
Back