Hearing protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandolmar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HI Im wondering which works better those foam ear plugs or those headphone type protectors Thanks in advance Dan

hearing

head hearing protectors i feel you get the most protection from high
reving saws blocks out alot, if using saw with modify muffler you will need the extra protection

Go with the headphone type, they offer the best protection.

I agree with Ripper, headphones are much better. Not only do they block out more noise, but I think they are more comfortable and they don't fall out or come loose like plugs sometimes do. Honestly I used to never even consider ear protection, but after sustaining damage to my right eye and a little bit of hearing damage in my right ear in combat I've come to my senses and got one of the forestry helmet systems that Stihl makes. At my young age I can't afford to do anymore damage.

The headphone type is definitely better than the cheap foam plugs. If you don't like wearing the headphone type, you can get really good protection using custom molded ear plugs like shooters use. Generally there are one or two guys around any shooting or sportsman club that can make a pair for you (while you wait) for $40-50.

If you're going to wear off-the-shelf ear plugs, look for the ones offering the most db reduction and make sure they fit snugly in your ear.

Any protection is better than no protection at all. A good set of plugs can be just as good as a pair of headphones...and sometimes better. Put BOTH on if needed! To each their own.

In theory, the headphones work better, but facal hair, head hair, safety glasses, all create holes for noise to get past.
If you look at the label of the ear protection, then consider how much noise comes out of a saw, especially a muffler modded saw, you'll see that you need both plugs and headphones to get to a noise level where your close to being safe.

Mike Maas said:
In theory, the headphones work better, but facal hair, head hair, safety glasses, all create holes for noise to get past.
If you look at the label of the ear protection, then consider how much noise comes out of a saw, especially a muffler modded saw, you'll see that you need both plugs and headphones to get to a noise level where your close to being safe.

They do come in different db reduction capabilities. Being clever one day I bought the best, you know the highest rated db ones. The bloke in the store said they mainly wore those around jet aircraft! I think they were 35db or 40db reduction. Man that sucked, if anyone yelled at you etc you simply didn't hear them. It was weird hearing nothing when the saw was off except for your own amplified breathing.

Now I settle with the 20db to 25 db reduction range.

The headphone style also allow you to easily clip one or both muffs away if trying to comunicate plus they help hold your helmet on your head!

Mike Maas said:
...If you look at the label of the ear protection, then consider how much noise comes out of a saw, especially a muffler modded saw, you'll see that you need both plugs and headphones to get to a noise level where your close to being safe.

Not at all. But you probably won't find quality hearing protection at your local discount mart. And wearing too much ear protection produces other safety hazards where you do not hear what is going on around you.

The muffs on my helmet system are rated at 24db reduction and I find them to be great. The saws don't seem to be much louder than what I listen to the radio or watch tv at, and I can still hear the other stuff going on around me.

I wear ear plugs (the ones I get from work, and that I fly in, they're a 29 dB reduction and work great) and my helmet and goggles when working timber. I think plugs are more comfortable for all day use. When cutting firewood in my yard in the summer time, I wear one of those Stihl helmets because the face mask is much cooler than my mesh goggles, and I'd rather have my ears sweat than my eyes. I find my earplugs to block much, much more noise than the muffs on that helmet.

Jeff

I've been a user of hearing protection for 20 years. I've made it a practice to keep the little foam plugs in my pocket at all times. I was introduced to them when working in noisy industrial plants and while operating farm machinery.

At times I have put muffs over the foam plugs for double protection but seldom need to. I am comfortable with just the foam plugs at the rifle range but a friend needs both. Listening to Rap Music would require triple protection! :)

Headset type for me. Just started wearing them last year. Yes, yes, I was stupid for 30 years. Started getting tinnitus and with a wife fighting with her hearing aids I didn't want to end up that way. One advantage to the headset type is that I can clip them to the saw handle when I shut it off so it is IMPOSSIBLE to forget to wear them. Also have a separate set for the riding mower that gets clipped over the steering wheel when I shut down. Same reason.

Harry K

I recommend wearing both plugs and muffs - you will thank me someday when you are able to hear me say I told you so!

Hearling loss is subtle and cumulative. There ain't no going back...

"The National Campaign for Hearing Health's Toxic Noise Guidelines (exposure times and decibel levels that cause hearing loss)

85 dB 8-hour period
85 - 90 dB 2-hour period
90 - 100 dB 1 to 2-hour period
100 - 110 between 2 and 15 minutes
110 - 120 less than 30 seconds
130 dB ANY EXPOSURE WILL RESULT IN PERMANENT HEARING LOSS"

The average soft ear plug gives about 11 dB in actual sound reduction.

A NON-modified Husky 385 puts out 114 dB. A modified saw is getting to that 130 range. Do the math.

Hearing damage is somewhat frequency dependent and there can be large spikes like in hammering noises that the meters don't pick up but do lots of damage

I have seen research to this effect as well. It creates a lot of concern for construction workers who may not be exposed to constant high volume, but rather intermittent banging from framing nailers, hammers, and whatnot.

After playing drums in a rock band for years and realizing some hearing loss, I started getting very careful about having ear protection readily available. I carry a good set of muffs with my saw gear, and I have a less expensive set for working around the house with the splitter, chipper, and mower. I've noticed that several of my neighbors now where muffs when they are mowing as well.

Shortly after I got my first modded saw, I showed up for a job and forgot my muffs. I spent about 45 minutes cutting up some logs. My ears were ringing for two days after that. I now also carry some foam plugs in the glove box of the truck just in case.

Spend the money - get a good pair of muffs at about 24db. A lot cheaper than hearing aids.

The plugs I use are rated at 33, an the muffs are rated at 31. They are not exactly doubled in protection that way, but they work good together, eh?

Latest posts

Back