Heat and saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
Reaction score
I dont normally run my saws in the summer unless i need to but ive started to get into doing tree cutting jobs for guys that dont want to or have the know how to do it themselves. anyway, i need some advise on keeping my saws running right and not melting down in the summer heat and humidity. maybe some of you boys from down south could help me out

I dont normally run my saws in the summer unless i need to but ive started to get into doing tree cutting jobs for guys that dont want to or have the know how to do it themselves. anyway, i need some advise on keeping my saws running right and not melting down in the summer heat and humidity. maybe some of you boys from down south could help me out

You want adviCe? Ask a local arborist or logger. Or maybe note that they do absolutely nothing different for high summer, except maybe go to the highest VI bar oil available. Any time of the year, you want to keep it clean. Maybe a very slight high-speed leaning, with the slightly lowered air density.

2-strokes are made of metal, not flesh & blood. The operator will show far more effect from heat index.

The operator is gonna suffer more

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun...:msp_scared:

There was some discussion elsewhere on here of some saws having a boiling fuel problem. I thought I read that they were attributing it to the gasohol. I have been running into the low 90's here, no problems. I run a fuel that is designed to fly airplanes tho....

I've run mine in mid 90's using regular gas and regular bar oil and never had a problem with it. As was mentioned , I usually give out way before the saw would.

Your in Mn. why ask what people down south do ask a local logger or arborist. I live in Mi. I do nothing different any time of year, even bar oil is the same.

thanks for just reassuring what i already thought. i was at my local saw shop this morning and they told me saws arent ment to be run in the heat. they arent the brightest people so i thought id ask you guys since i dont have any good local guys to ask. i have bigger and more saws than anybody in my area and dont know any arborists. some of the old timers told me back in the day when theyd run their saws hard in the heat theyd end up takin seals out or scoring pistons but oil and engine design has come a long ways since then.

never hurts to ask:redface:

Keep your fuel can out of the sun at all times. Cut early in the morning and try to be done with things before the major heat starts. Keep the saws real clean, air blast out the fins and whatnot. Be finicky with a sharp chain, not only does it cut better, but it will help to reduce the engine load, which in turn will make the saw run better and last longer.

Drink your water/juice whatever well in advance of feeling thirsty, and try to work or get back into the shade as much as possible, you and the saw.

I work in the heat, and so do the saws and other equipment, but I pay attention to overall heat issues and just don't push things too far.

I am not a professional cutter, and I get the impression, just from reading here, very generally, the guys who do cut at a full time pro level tend to push their equipment harder than what I would think is optimal. Under the gun to make that money or hit that work deadline, etc.

Not that that is terrible or anything, it's fully understandable, just that they expect to wear their stuff out as a cost of doing business. I would rather not push or work my tools quite that hard for the level I cut at. "Casual" or semi pro side job cutting I would think the same way, take it a lot easier in the heat, both you and equipment, and you and the equipment will last longer..

You will need to re-tune, there is less oxygen in the air in higher temps. Just remember to tune again when you get to cold weather, otherwise you will be running lean.

Its been said by a couple of the guys already, but it's worth repeating. A clean saw is a cool saw. Keep the cylinder fins, flywheel, starter cover, etc. nice and clean so you get proper airflow for cooling. I don't like to run mine when it's hot, but I'm not afraid to when needed.

I've been running my 2 saws a LOT lately, and the temps close to quitting time are approaching triple digits (5 a.m.-1 p.m.). Echo CS340 and Dolmar 7900. Both running the same fuel/oil. The Echo, seems to be more prone to vapor lock or fuel boiling out of the line than the Dolmar. I'm using the highest octane fuel that I can buy at the pump, and it probably has a % of ethanol in it.

I try not to cut in really hot weather for my sake but if I do I don't change my normal procedure much. I keep my saws as clean as posible at all times, give them an air bath after each use. I use Ultra synthetic with high octane gas (ethanol free if possible). Sharp chain and after long cuts I let the saw run for 30 seconds or so with no load to normalize temperatures. I have lots of saws so I try to rotate them around as I use them so they can cool out. That's what I do, maybe it will work in your situation.

Steve

I've mentioned before, when temps get above 90 I don't like running my two-cycle stuff -- they "smell" hot to me, but that's probably more my mind then reality since there's certainly loggers and tree services that don't stop working.

That said, last weekend in temps over 90º I had about a 1/4 cord of left over odds-n-ends from last year I was finally sick of mowing around and ran a tank and a half through my 372XP noodling them...and that saw was running sweet despite the heat.

Make sure to switch your saws back to their summer settings (if they have them).
Use regular bar oil (not winter weight).
Crack open fuel cap for a second as soon as you turn off the saw (helps to prevent vapor lock).

I try not to cut in really hot weather for my sake but if I do I don't change my normal procedure much. I keep my saws as clean as posible at all times, give them an air bath after each use. I use Ultra synthetic with high octane gas (ethanol free if possible). Sharp chain and after long cuts I let the saw run for 30 seconds or so with no load to normalize temperatures. I have lots of saws so I try to rotate them around as I use them so they can cool out. That's what I do, maybe it will work in your situation.

Steve

thats always been my thinkin too. i use high octane and no E. im rather fussy about keeping them clean as well. air after each use and as needed i tear them down to clean better. im thinkin i shouldnt have any problems
i have 5 saws so when the time comes i will rotate them as needed. it gets harder on me as well using a 660 to limb and trim so smaller is better in the heat which leads to rotating saws.

temp hit 100 today and i had a job lined up through a friend but that fell through due to family trouble on his end and im not complaining. maybe next weekend will be cooler and work out better

Latest posts

Back