heat dump for englander 28-3500 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88bomber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best way to install a heat dump (or similar device) on my englander 28-3500. Just something to dump the heat in case of a power outage...and I'm not around.

The englander has just an 8" duct coming out, no square plenum, so I'd have to create several transitions (round to rectangle/square) to use the yukon heat dump.

I thought about installing an 8" "Y" above the furnace and using two automatic (electric) dampers in each outlet leg, one normally open, one normally closed, so that when the power goes out, the damper to the ductwork closes, and the other opens to dump the hot air into the basement. But that seems overly complex...and those dampers are about $80 each.

Anybody know of something that works with 8" duct?

My idea was the same as yours.

I don't know of any heat dumps other than Yukons.

It may be cheaper to have a tin knocker make a box to install the Yukon dump door. Well, then again, if you figure the cost of the door + the cost to have the box made...maybe not. Look on fleabay for those dampers, they may be a lot less there.

Last edited:
I installed a T in the 8" duct, I just remove the cap that covers the T when the power goes out or I need more heat in the basement.

stove pipe 001.JPG stove pipe 006.JPG

Back